Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How much Omer did you count?
Previous  1  2  3

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Every night all the way to 49. I may have missed one night and counted by day (can't remember, I do remember reminding a couple of kids to count by day who forgot at night). Easy mitzvah, why wouldn't you try to do it?

The women in dh's family don't ever count. Apparently, there's a difference in opinion if sefiras haomer is forty-nine different mitzvos, or if it's one mitzvah. Dh's family holds that you only get the mitzvah if you count each night - otherwise it's a bracha l'vatala. I guess being that nashim daatan kalos combined with the fact that they don't daven maariv (with a minyan, so no reminders there), they don't count. Since I bh almost always manage to count all the way through - I've been counting since elementary school- I do try. Much easier these days with WhatsApp sefiras ha'omer reminders.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:26 pm
momof2+? wrote:
I messed up on day 6 (second days of pesach.) It’s the days without phone reminders that are tricky. I usually remember to count, but don’t have the words in front of me so push it off- and then forget.🙄

How about a printed sfirat haomer calendar magnet on your fridge?

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:53 pm
I have ADHD and a houseful of kids. I've tried counting with a bracha before and usually don't make it past the first week. So I no longer count with a bracha, even on Day 1. I'd say I can probably count, on an average year, maybe a dozen times. Maybe even less. And that includes when my husband and sons count on Friday night after making early Shabbos.

I have a hard enough time remembering the things I do every day all year round. Sefirah is not even a remote possibility for me.

And for the record, my husband would totally say something like that. He never misses a maariv (except extremely occasionally -- if we're traveling and don't have a choice of tickets, or if he's with me in the hospital when I'm in labor, something like that), and in his circles most/almost all men are the same way. So yes, when he says "It's almost impossible for a woman to count sefirah, but for men it's easy," that's 100% what he means.

My son who just started going to maariv every night earlier this year is counting sefirah this year for the first time. There's no way that I or my husband would remember to remind the kids every night, so my younger kids don't. I'm sorry, my brain just doesn't work like that...for me, this is not an "easy" mitzvah at all.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 2:00 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The women in dh's family don't ever count. Apparently, there's a difference in opinion if sefiras haomer is forty-nine different mitzvos, or if it's one mitzvah. Dh's family holds that you only get the mitzvah if you count each night - otherwise it's a bracha l'vatala. I guess being that nashim daatan kalos combined with the fact that they don't daven maariv (with a minyan, so no reminders there), they don't count. Since I bh almost always manage to count all the way through - I've been counting since elementary school- I do try. Much easier these days with WhatsApp sefiras ha'omer reminders.

Again, there's counting with a bracha and there's counting. It's not just chassidim. I think it might be the Mishnah Brurah who advises women counting without a bracha.

devoh

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:15 pm
Until the end bh. As did the kids. It’s become a fun thing by us

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:43 pm
I had a baby erev Pesach. So no didn't do Omer this year.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:59 pm
Ema of 4, how can you miss Day 1? It's right there in the haggaddah. Unless you were having a baby at the time or had just had one and were not at a seder?

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:34 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Ema of 4, how can you miss Day 1? It's right there in the haggaddah. Unless you were having a baby at the time or had just had one and were not at a seder?

This is pretty harsh. I made it through sefirah with a bracha from beginning to end, and I actually find day one to be one of the hardest to remember. Everyone is so focused on the seder that other things are easy to forget, and I haven't seen it in my Haggadah. Many opinions hold that counting sefirah is not a requirement for women, but avoiding ona'as devarim and being dan l'kav z'chus certainly are. Be kind.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:45 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:

If the men said it in shul, and the women are up and about during Hallel/Nirtzah, seems pretty easy to me.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:45 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
I had a baby erev Pesach. So no didn't do Omer this year.

Mazel tov!

SYA

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:54 pm
Counted all 49 BH.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:46 pm
Why are the women "up and about" during Hallel/Nirtzah unless they have to nurse an infant?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:02 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Why are the women "up and about" during Hallel/Nirtzah unless they have to nurse an infant?

So they don't fall asleep at the table?

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
So they don't fall asleep at the table?

And they have to stretch their legs so long that they completely miss counting omer Day 1 AND no one else at the table reminds them? You're straining my willing suspension of disbelief here, my friend.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:22 pm
I counted it till the end BH

People shared the sefira on Watsapp status and it helped so much!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
And they have to stretch their legs so long that they completely miss counting omer Day 1 AND no one else at the table reminds them? You're straining my willing suspension of disbelief here, my friend.

Remember, the men counted in shul so it's not on their radar.
Look, maybe someone who really did miss day one can chime in. I'm just trying to create a scenario that will enable her to hold her head high and not feel like she and all her people are slime.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 1:41 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:

In Israel there is no seder day 1.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:48 am
WitchKitty wrote:
In Israel there is no seder day 1.

No one starts counting at the first (or only) seder. It's the second night. Oh, and another reason there's "no excuse": You had the whole day to rest up for the seder. No matter if one has childcare or parent care or all sorts of reasons s/he couldn't sleep well and rest up the night before.

(Just playing devil's advocate.)

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 9:36 am
I count the whole thing, every year. With rare exception.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note