Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Did your classmates lives turn out the way you thought they

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:23 am
Spinoff of the way you thought your life would turn out, what about your classmates? Are there any girls who are wildly different and living very different lives today than what you would have expected in high school? Is it a large or small percent?

From my high school class there are few surprises. There are some girls who I thought would go much further in life than they did but that is because as a high school girl I didn’t realize how difficult it is to go that length in life. There are also girls who had things happen to them or did things that I didn’t expect but no one did anything so radically different that it surprised me as an outsider.

There is just one girl who I never would have thought would one day be a very successful mechanches (I never thought she would teach at all) who became one. Other than that no real surprises.

Perhaps it’s because I just don’t think so much about some random classmate for hearing something unexpected to shock me but even with my close friends the situation is the same. None of their lives went on a very surprising trajectory.

No girl is thinking “I’m going to get married and get divorced”…”live in a place I don’t want to live”…”work at something I’m totally not interested in today” etc. but then when life circumstances make that the necessity it isn’t so surprising to an outsider.

I will add that the girls who had everything going for them in high school may not have everything going for them anymore but still do not seem to have external circumstances dictating their reality in a unexpected way as the girls who did not have everything going for them.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:43 am
The only girl who is a teacher today (20 years out) is the one who hated school, skipped classes whenever possible and didn’t do so well in general. Not anyone we thought would be a teacher.
Salut but I believe she probably makes a better teacher because of all that.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:58 am
actually I have no idea... I don't have contact info for a single classmate (grade had nearly 100 girls, and we were all in the same class at one point or another).

But I'm sure that I did not turn out the way anyone else thought. flunked my way through high school and didn't really connect with anyone socially and never even went to sem!, but after a few years in a dead end job I went to college, 4.0 GPA, and got 2 masters degrees... Now working and BH married with children, active in the community. I certainly never expected life to turn out this way, and doubt anyone else thought I would ever get married let alone go on to have a career.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:17 am
The most learning disabled classmate that was also extremely quiet is now running her own popular business and is extremely high in demand.

I am in awe of her. She seriously struggled thru school and yet, came so far!

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:20 am
My classmates sure didn’t think my life would turn out the way it did! Nor did my teachers and principals, at least the way they spoke to me back then.
As for them…. Some of the most smug “top girls” either look like worn out, frumpy old ladies, or they’re just as insecure as they were in high school, as if they’re stuck there.
Thankfully we don’t see each other very often

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:21 am
No one turned out the way I thought they would. Turns out being popular in school doesn’t translate well to real life. The quiet simple girls went the furthest.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:22 am
Overall the very successful high school girls valedictorian etc seem to be struggling more than the nerdy blend into the crowd kids.
Maybe adversity helps strengthen certain 'coping muscles'. That's not to say all the average under the radar girls did well. Some are unfortunately otd.
Oh also geniuses who married geniuses can have LD kids I've seen.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:30 am
In my class the leaders who had everyone wrapped around their finger, everyone idolizing them & running after them, with tons of friends, followers & head of everything, G.O., Headcounselors, got the best teaching jobs, main part in play etc.....Nobody gives a hoot about them today, or cares what "they have to say". They live their own quiet life with their family, with a few close friends, and some were scrambling for friends after school ended, or had their own major life challenges to deal with.
Who cares today if they were popular once, if they headed dance or won machanayim.

Otoh, the quiet girls who were afraid to open their mouths in school, who had few friends, surprised us. The quietest girl, leads every chesed project in our class, behind the scenes, with the most friends today, now all her hidden talents came out, together with her confidence.
The other quiet girls, their husbands are popular & in leadership roles like principals, administrators, head counselors etc.

The girls that came from huge families & were obsessed with their cute nieces, and wanted large families too, ended up suffering from infertility and with small families. Some from large ones, had small families by choice, where everyone thought they will have large families too.

The top girls from our class who people thought will get snatched up first, got married late & don't have the top kids today. They are struggling with shidduchim for their own kids. Even the ones with the top kids are also struggling with shidduchim for their kids.

The troublemaker kids are the goody shoe people today. The class clowns turned into serious people.
The snobs turned into the chesed people. The slobs turned into neat freaks. The laughing stocks turned into rebetzins.

Some turned into higher positions like principals, therapists who nobody thought would, as they weren't top in academics in school.

Some moved to other side of world.

The richies, some are struggling financially today.

Who would think some would get divorced?

Life isn't always so smooth. Everyone has their ups & downs at different stages in life.

Ima_Shelli

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:49 am
Yes more or less. I had a great group of girls in high school with me (I certainly wasn’t the most popular or anything but we generally all got along) and they more or less are living happy fulfilled lives BH. No major surprises. Love watching everyone as they travel through this journey called life and as their kids mature.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:58 am
Mostly not. A handful of girls who were, and still are, really beautiful, smart, great personality that I assumed would be first to marry - and marry well - either married pretty late in life or remain single still. Three girls I was close to came out as lesbians. Never saw that coming. And of the classmates that married pretty young like I did, so many divorced and are on second marriages now. Two were widowed in their 30's. Crazy.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:13 am
One girl is now the Rebbitzin of a dynamic popular rav. Never would have predicted that! She was just a very nice girl not particularly intelligent or popular or anything! She seems to have embraced her role and is a super supportive wife! Other than that nothing really surprised me. Oh maybe one girl who grew up a rebbis daughter in a huge struggling family married into a really wealthy family, so that was a surprise. Everyone else kind of stayed the course they seemed to be on in hs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics