Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Lunch appetizer ideas please!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:55 pm
Hi,
We host basically every week and I’m running out of ideas for first course shabbos day. We don’t have liver to buy where we live so we don’t do eggs/liver. We prefer to serve something with fish but doesn’t have to be.
Any ideas for something easy to make but also elegant?
Thank you!

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:56 pm
Sushi salad

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:00 pm
pastrami pizza or deli roll or deli salad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:04 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
Sushi salad

I should have added, we overdid it with sushi salad, no one wants to look at it or smell it.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:16 pm
There are so many baked salmon recipes. Try a different one each week. You can also do baked cubed salmon pieces. Plate it elegantly by serving on top of angel hair pasta or different julienned vegetables or round sliced roasted veg or some lettuce with shredded purple cabbage…

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:36 pm
Mini salmon skewers over angel hair pasta
Deli salad in a crisp baked tortilla bowl
Bruchetta over crostini
Guac and chips
Nachos with beef, refried beans and avocado cream
Homemade pita chips with homemade hummus or make it into hummus basar
Hot bowls of soup from the crockpot

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:37 pm
Angel hit pasta with salmon, salmon squewers with veggies, sushi nachos (it's diff then sushi saad) so elegant and my guests. Loved it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:45 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Angel hit pasta with salmon, salmon squewers with veggies, sushi nachos (it's diff then sushi saad) so elegant and my guests. Loved it

Ooh can you elaborate on the sushi nachos?
Thanks!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:52 pm
It's from busy in Brooklyn
I don know exactly what she puts but what I d is
I cut egg roll wrappers into triangles and fry them into chips. Top with pieces I avocado, raw seasoned tuna, green onion then drizzle it all with spicy mayo. I did this for Shavuot and plated individually. Was a high hit

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:00 pm
Cold soups with a dollop of Tofutti sour cream: strawberry soup, gazpacho, any pureed vegetable

Mixed wraps cut on a diagonal with suggested fillings: egg salad, gazpacho, tuna salad, salmon salad, roasted veggies with russian dressing. lox with Tofutti cream cheese.

Roasted vegetable stack: slice eggplants, tomatoes, and zucchini, drizzle with olive oil, salt pepper, garlic powder. Roast for 30-40 minutes. Put dollop of chumus on a plate and spread with back of spoon. Stack roasted veggies. Top with rosemary sprig.

Buy and bake frozen taam tuv cigars and borekas before Shabbos. Warm on hot tray. Either serve on a platter with chumus in the middle as a dip and garnish with grape tomatoes or make individual plates with borekas/cigars and chumus on each plate.

Make sweet dip using Tofutti cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon to taste. Cut red and green apples in wedge slices with skin on. Put dollop of sweet dip on center of each plate and make flower petals with sliced apples.

Buy pre-made latkes. Heat and serve with Tofutti sour cream and apple sauce.

Buy mini quiche shells and serve individual quiches with a small salad on the side.

Yes, I like the word dollop and no, I don't work for Tofutti!

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:05 am
Oops, meant to say guacamole as a filling. Gazpacho would be soggy!
But that gives me another suggestion for an appetizer of tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note