Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida new development
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:33 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
First of all, Baltimore has cemeteries. Not close to the frum area now but that's only because the Jewish neighborhoods migrated over the years. Originally, the main one was quite close.
Also, Baltimore's Jewish community has been around for well over 100 years if not longer! There were always Orthodox shuls, kosher meat, mikvaos, etc although the frum community really took off and got built up once Ner Israel was well established in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The Bais Yaakov school has been around since the 50s, I think. And TA (Talmudical Academy) is even older. At least the 40s, possibly even the 30s or 20s.
But there was already Jewish infrastructure in place, it's not as though these schools or yeshivas were especially in the middle of nowhere.

Rav Schwab was able to leave Germany in the 1930s/get a visa because he had a job waiting as Rav of a shul in Baltimore. (There was a split later, where some congregants left to form a Conservative synagogue but that shul remained Orthodox and is quite frum to this day.

A good movie that will give you a sense of Old Baltimore/Jews is Liberty Heights. That's where Jews lived before rising crime pushed them out of the downtown city area. Ner Israel used to be in that general area, too. I don't think they built and moved to Yeshiva Lane until the early 70s.
An interesting historical fiction book that will give you a sense of Jewish Baltimore in the 1920s is The Bookseller by Amy Laura Schlitz.

I was referring to rosesale cemetery. Agudah, Glen, sternhells all have plots there - all the older shuls.
I have relatives buried there from 60 yrs ago (through Glen - yekke ) through the present (through sternhell - heimush) it’s def a trip.
Just showing you don’t need one close to start a community.
Communities 1 hr away would be good enough for a new community

GLUE

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:04 am
When I wrote about cemeteries I was just reading how in the 1900's people would join a Shul so that they would have a place to be buried, that;s why I wrote it.

Jobs-If you look at the map of were people live and look at a map of were jobs are they overlap a lot. Because people move to were jobs are and jobs move to were people are. Seattle boomed when Co. opened up there leading people to move there for jobs. In Lakewood people moved there so the jobs followed them there. The question is how are people going to support them self until the tipping point.

Apartments-How do Suburbia developments work?People pick the house and the builder builds it. If nobody picks the two family house the builder will not build it. It does not look like this development will have basements, So tell me again were are the apartments going to be?

Is this development for people who don't drive? How walk-able is it?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:44 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
KJ is only 20 minutes from Monsey

KJ was incorporated 1977 , monsey was then farm land , mostly Beis medrash elyon type of kolel people

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:48 am
[
I would have sooner considered the Tampa community that unfortunately didn't take off, being that it's located in a real city with jobs, activities, and an existing Jewish community, plus nearby an airport with direct flights to NYC that would allow me to conveniently go in for major simchas without spending days in transit.[/quote]
Tampa is not over at all, around 40 houses has been sold to date!
There is 2 shuls
Mens mikvah
Women's mikvah soon to be done
Small grocery
And small cheder
Around 10 full time chasidish families live there, rest are vacation homes, houses are brand new and cheap, if people move it will take off really well, just need more people to take the risk and be a נחשון

There is 2 chasdish licensed real estate brokers living there

One is a chasidish lady from monsey
Bracha fishman

One is a chasidish guy from KJ
David Rosenberg

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:33 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m not sure where you got that from, it takes about 8.5 hours to go from Key West to Jacksonville.

Have you actually done it
I have from NMB to border of FL/Georgia took 12.5hrs, normal traffic

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:55 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
I was referring to rosesale cemetery. Agudah, Glen, sternhells all have plots there - all the older shuls.
I have relatives buried there from 60 yrs ago (through Glen - yekke ) through the present (through sternhell - heimush) it’s def a trip.
Just showing you don’t need one close to start a community.
Communities 1 hr away would be good enough for a new community

Of the shuls you mentioned, only Glen is an "old" shul. Sternhells was founded after the war, probably in a different location that the current one. Agudah started in the 80s, earliest maaybe late 70s. Originally some of the founding members had sort of a Minyan in the basement of Glen, it was for former Ner Yisrael people who wanted a yeshiva minyan. I davened in that Minyan on the Yamim noraim as a kid in the early 80s when it was just getting organized.
Rosedale was started because the previous Jewish cemetery was full but also, the shuls that had been downtown had relocated to the park heights area or simply closed, so yeah, they weren't close to the cemetery downtown anymore. And everyone Jewish had moved out from the downtown area in any case. If you go downtown to the really bad areas you can still see some of the old shul buildings. Either abandoned or turned into churches unfortunately.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:00 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
KJ was incorporated 1977 , monsey was then farm land , mostly Beis medrash elyon type of kolel people

My grandparents moved to Monsey in the 50’s, by the 70s the community was solidly established

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
There was a write-up on this community and others in the Pesach editions of The Monsey View and The Boro Park View.

Not of this new development. The article was about the Tampa (Wimauma) community.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:09 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
My grandparents moved to Monsey in the 50’s, by the 70s the community was solidly established

Mine moved in the 60s, I was going to say the same thing. Very well established.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:22 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Have you actually done it
I have from NMB to border of FL/Georgia took 12.5hrs, normal traffic

That sounds bizarre. I uses to drive all the time from South Miami (about 35 min south of NMB) to Tallahassee. It was 7.5 - 8 hours.
South Miami to Valdosta, Georgia is about 7.25 hours. Your travel time sounds off.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:33 am
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
That sounds bizarre. I uses to drive all the time from South Miami (about 35 min south of NMB) to Tallahassee. It was 7.5 - 8 hours.
South Miami to Valdosta, Georgia is about 7.25 hours. Your travel time sounds off.

I agree. Only hurricane traffic would make that drive over 12 hours.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:15 am
Any idea where they are up to?

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:20 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
I agree. Only hurricane traffic would make that drive over 12 hours.

You guys must speed
I guess I’m a slow driver 50 on the right side

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 12:08 pm
You guys must speed

It’s been a while since I’ve driven in FL, but I’m pretty sure the speed limit on 95 is 70. The turnpike is also generally 70, for the most part, I believe.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:49 pm
You guys must speed

Waze doesn't assume you'll speed. Put it in Waze and see what they say.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Waze doesn't assume you'll speed. Put it in Waze and see what they say.

I can’t do Waze cuz I don’t live in FL, but I just put my mom’s address in Miami and her friend’s address in Atlanta into google maps, and it’s 10 hours exactly. That means it’s less to the FL-GA line.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:15 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Mine moved in the 60s, I was going to say the same thing. Very well established.

Yeah. By the time my parents came in the early 80's there were two chasidish schools, Bais Rochel was a mix, + YSV... and a few Yeshiva high schools, several kosher groceries and numerous shuls.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:21 pm
Is there any new updates on this community?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:43 pm
Bump - any news if this is happening or not? What's the status of construction? Are people moving in and if so when?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:45 pm
They want it to be ready for next year. Families will move next year in the summer.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating