Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Does your hat-wearing-son wear a helmet while bike riding?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 4:46 am
Iymnok wrote:
What did you do when he tested you?

Told him that he was unable to use his bike the next day. And enforced it. It’s a walkable distance, just longer and less convenient.

monseymom25

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 5:38 am
A plastic bag with his hat is cheap and easy.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:04 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Told him that he was unable to use his bike the next day. And enforced it. It’s a walkable distance, just longer and less convenient.

Okay, that’s like what I tell my kids. My rules are;

If you ride your bike without a helmet, ride someone else’s bike without a helmet, or let someone ride your bike without your helmet, then you lose your bike for a day. Second time three days, third time, a week.

Usually once is enough.

happyone

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:30 am
I'm the helmet police, sending the friends back home for it if they show up biking without one.

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:22 am
I am not crazy with rules in my house but buckling in the car and wearing a helmet are absolute must! Began at a young age so they know it's about safety and then it's one of the few things that I am strict about. Because I don't have so many things my kids listen and we also have a neighbor that's neurologist and they've heard way too many horror stories about people that have brain damage from not wearing a helmet

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:19 am
My hat-wearing sons do not ride bikes because they won't wear helmets. No helmet, no bike - that's the rule in this family.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:44 am
Metal baskets in the front of the bike or plastic bags on the handlebars are the most common here (the bags work for scooters and the like too.)

I wish I could find it, but Rav Hanoch Teller wrote an amazing article awhile ago about how he had just upgraded his helmet when he got into a significant crash with his motorbike and it saved his life. I believe he said that he upgraded because he realized he had to be as protective of his physical self, including the head that allowed him to think, as he works to be with his physical one. I always thought it should be required reading in boys schools.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:21 pm
Last week a very close family member of mine was driving in lakewood when a teenage boy on bike veered into traffic (she BH had a dash camera and was completely not at fault) The helmet cracked in half and boy suffered a slight concussion Hatzala said that without the helmet there is no chance he would have survived.
As an aside... please teach your kids to LOOK before crossing. This was on a busy lakewood road and the kid didnt even look. When police reviewed the dash she said was there a way I could have avoided him and the cop dryly answered- if he would have looked and not rode in front of you....

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does he do with his hat?
Like if my son is riding to shul, he's in his hat and jacket. Wearing a helmet makes it complicated.

Pikuach nefesh a deorisa vs wearing a hat which is a custom (minhag), not even a derabanan. This is very simple to know what to do. What is the question?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 2:06 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
Pikuach nefesh a deorisa vs wearing a hat which is a custom (minhag), not even a derabanan. This is very simple to know what to do. What is the question?

The question was a practical suggestion, which I got upthread.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children