Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pre seasoned cast iron kashrus

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:59 pm
I just bought a pre-seasoned cast iron pot. Something in me feels like there is a kashrus issue with this (the pre seasoned part).

What’s the story?

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:09 pm
What do they use to preseason it with?

Some places use lard or other not Kosher fats.

There are some pots that have a Kosher certification, I can not help you with which Co. Some best thing is to start by calling the Co.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:12 pm
I was told it needs kosher certification. But you might be able to strip and kosher it same like any other treif pan.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:43 pm
If it is lodge or other companies claiming to use vegetable oil most Rabbanim with allow you to burn it out on 550 in the oven for a little while and then you can reseason it and use. If the company uses lard that is more complicated and may need libun.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:36 pm
Yes I bought a lodge.

What does it mean it has to be seasoned?

I just wanted to use it to make sourdough. Did I buy the right thing?

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 12:09 am
The way I understand it, they make it deeply soaked with oil or fat, wich both prevents rusting of the cast iron and gives it non-stick qualities. If you remove that, you have to re-grease and heat it in a special way, there are instructions for it on the internet.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 1:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just bought a pre-seasoned cast iron pot. Something in me feels like there is a kashrus issue with this (the pre seasoned part).

What’s the story?

COR the major Canadian hashgacha researched it and ssys It’s ok because the oil is no longer food once it hardens. Google COR cast iron Chaim Ribiat.

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:46 am
OU says you need to put it in an oven on self clean. After that you need to toivel (then reseason)
COR says it's fine to use as is, just toivel

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:59 am
Lodge claims to use vegetable oil, but there's no hashgacha confirming that claim, so burn it out and reseason it

denise1

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:16 am
I bought an enameled Dutch oven instead and I make sour dough in it every week.
Lodge used to have a hechsher but it was removed.

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:42 am
Victoria cookware said their seasoning is kosher. I reached out to them and they showed me the certification they had. I ran it by a kashrus expert who said it is ok to use. Putting this out there in case someone that didn't buy yet wants more options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen