Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Is there any way to block youtube ?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 1:30 am
I just feel it's too addicting and really taking up my time more than anything else. One video just leads to another.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 1:56 am
Kol Hakavod!
Get a filter. I use techloq. Can customize to your needs, block or allow what you decide on.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:06 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
Kol Hakavod!
Get a filter. I use techloq. Can customize to your needs, block or allow what you decide on.

Is this something I buy online or need to go to tag to install ?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just feel it's too addicting and really taking up my time more than anything else. One video just leads to another.

Join me on this challenge
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....42712
I feel like a different person since I stopped. My only hope is that I’ll be able to keep it for way past the 40 days too!
It’s just a different life and a different day when you don’t watch.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:33 am
I put a gentech filter.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:43 am
Settings. Screen time. Content restrictions.

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:43 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Settings. Screen time. Content restrictions.

This! I just got the freedom extension, it's been great. I use it for imamother Wink

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Join me on this challenge
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....42712
I feel like a different person since I stopped. My only hope is that I’ll be able to keep it for way past the 40 days too!
It’s just a different life and a different day when you don’t watch.
I am ready for it. What are the rules ?

(after this I will put the filters b eh , thanks for the suggestions)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:56 am
The biggest challenge is that after I usually accept/stop myself from watching is that all of a sudden an important/usefull video comes to mind/becomes recommended (like meditation) and I feel I am missing out by not watching it and then I get distracted again and the spiral goes on and on.

What is the secret to this ?

Is it all or nothing ?

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:56 am
I just blocked YouTube. I told myself I'll try it for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Best. Decision. Ever.

I gained tons of time in my day, am way more present with my family, and overall more mindful. I do miss it sometimes as I gained a ton from various different channels. I may reconsider one day, but for now, I'm happy with this decision.

You can get a customizable filter like Gentech, which is what I have. Kol hakavod to you.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The biggest challenge is that after I usually accept/stop myself from watching is that all of a sudden an important/usefull video comes to mind/becomes recommended (like meditation) and I feel I am missing out by not watching it and then I get distracted again and the spiral goes on and on.

Is it all or nothing ?

Yes, it is a challenge. I couldn't see myself doing it. But after several days it gets a lot easier. Unless you have enormous self-restraint, then yes, you will need to drop it cold turkey.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it all or nothing ?

Gentech has option of blocking certain content from youtube. They have 5 levels to choose from.

I was wasting ton of time watching. I blocked hulu so then I watched youtube. I blocked that. Now I find that I spend ton of time on computer doing nothing!! how crazy is that. I go from imamother to yeshiva world and back to imamother. I'm happy that I don't watch garbage but I still waste too much time

I feel like I have to work on my self discipline

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it all or nothing ?

Yes for me it’s all or nothing.
When I started the 40 day challenge I had a hard time refraining from the short videos posted on news websites. I was so used to clicking on those. Most videos are harmless. But then there’s no end.
So I won’t start.
There are no rules to this challenge other than taking one day at a time with zero watching and patting yourself on the back Smile .
Aim for 40 consecutive days.
If you need chizzuk post on that thread.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 10:30 am
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Gentech has option of blocking certain content from youtube. They have 5 levels to choose from.

I was wasting ton of time watching. I blocked hulu so then I watched youtube. I blocked that. Now I find that I spend ton of time on computer doing nothing!! how crazy is that. I go from imamother to yeshiva world and back to imamother. I'm happy that I don't watch garbage but I still waste too much time

I feel like I have to work on my self discipline

Omg same. Imamother and ywn and back. Nothing left.
But I’m also spending less time online being that I see how boring it’s not to be able to watch. That’s the point.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:14 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
This! I just got the freedom extension, it's been great. I use it for imamother Wink

Can you explain?

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Omg same. Imamother and ywn and back. Nothing left.
But I’m also spending less time online being that I see how boring it’s not to be able to watch. That’s the point.

I do this too , and sometimes I just wonder like what is my real need? And can I satisfy in another way instead of online!?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:49 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
I do this too , and sometimes I just wonder like what is my real need? And can I satisfy in another way instead of online!?

For me it’s my relaxation time.
Before internet days I’d do sudoku. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics