Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Overwhelmed by prices in the grocery store
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:44 pm
singleagain wrote:
If you have space. Shop in bulk and shop sales. If you have the time, price around.

We will occasionally give a slight discount of you buy a case, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Things like household, are marked up a lot more in my grocery sorry bc it's convince, so look for that online, or a store like amazing savings....

Also ... Buy generic, Heinz and Hellmann's are going to be more expensive than basket and bowl.

Thanks! Keep up the tips. And I hope the store does well year round, not just yom tov.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:48 pm
pause wrote:
Running around to various stores for cheaper prices costs money too as gas is now $5/gallon. At the end of the day, I wonder how much more ahead you'll be especially once you factor in all the time and mental energy spent.

Yes and no.
It could be that you always buy x at a certain store because on the whole it's cheaper and what do you know, another store had it on sale too. Do you drive there for the sale? It depends. Maybe there's a gas station there that's cheaper and a few other things on sale, or errands you can bundle, etc.
I think we have to make basic efforts. We're not going to be 100% getting the best deals on everything.

estherj

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:56 pm
Target is often less than half the price of the grocery stores. I just ordered mangoes .99 vs 2.50 avocodos .99 vs 1.99 Store brand soy sauce 1.60 vs 3.29, rice vinegar 1.79 vs 3.39 and 5lb flour 1.69 vs 4.00. A dozen large eggs 2.19 vs 3.29 Dry goods are also way cheaper. I use shipt and get everything delivered for free to my door in Lakewood within 2 hours ($35 minimum order). No gas used and no running around. Shipt is $11 a month or free with some premium credit cards. Since the Jewish brand prices have skyrocketed you can easily save hundreds a month if you go with target store brands vs grocery store pricing.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:46 pm
posting as a mod, I removed the political posts as they do not belong here. If you want to talk about politics behind inflation, go to the politics forum: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....f=269

Last edited by singleagain on Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Plonis

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:05 pm
pause wrote:
Running around to various stores for cheaper prices costs money too as gas is now $5/gallon. At the end of the day, I wonder how much more ahead you'll be especially once you factor in all the time and mental energy spent.

I don't run around to stores. I get things delivered or shipped from Walmart, Target and Amazon.

Yes there is a time investment, but if your 2 hours of price comparisons saves you $50 on groceries, you just got paid $25 an hour. If after having made those comparisons you now have the ability to save money EVERY WEEK, you got paid a whole lot more.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:35 pm
These are the CHEAPEST Foods:

Protein:

Canned Beans/Dried Beans

Chick peas

Lentils

Peanut Butter

Peanuts

Eggs

Milk

Yogurt

Cottage Cheese

Ground Beef

Ground Turkey

Chicken on the bone

Franks

Fish Sticks

Canned Tuna, Sardines, Salmon

Tofu

Bologna

Edamame

Carbs

Rice

Oatmeal

Pasta

Split Peas

Bread

Generic Corn Flakes

Flour

Corn

Pop Corn

Potato Chips

Frozen French Fries

Potatoes

Frozen Pizza

Ramen Noodles

Quinoa

Produce:

Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Corn

Onions

Carrots

Cucumber

Cabbage

Zuchinni

Apples

Bananas

Oranges

Watermelon

Lettuce

Spinach

Tomatoes

Peppers

Squash

Eggplant

Green Pepper

Kiwi

Butternut Squash

Pumpkin/canned pumpkin

Sunflower Seeds

Canned Fruit and Vegetables

Frozen Berries

Tomato Sauce/Ketchup

Last edited by #BestBubby on Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Purple2

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:37 pm
Mindfully wrote:
I don't know how others are managing but I am seriously overwhelmed by the increased food and household prices. This is what I saw today: Mayo $7, Eggs at almost $4 a dozen, bottled water $10 for 6 gallons, chicken, fruit, whatever is getting so expensive. Any ideas how to handle it?

political comment removed. Guys I warned you.

There is a spin off in politics if you want to talk about the political of it https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73051

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:12 am
singleagain wrote:
posting as a mod, I removed the political posts as they do not belong here. If you want to talk about politics behind inflation, go to the politics forum: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....f=269

Thank you ty ty.
I was thinking of asking a moderator. Let this continue to be a practical thread. (Which doesn't include whom to vote for in November, or even the primaries.)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:13 am
#BestBubby wrote:

[

Where did this list come from? I assume it's not in order of $$.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:26 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Protein:

Canned Beans/Dried Beans

Chick peas

Lentils

Peanut Butter

Peanuts

Eggs

Milk

Yogurt

Cottage Cheese

Ground Beef

Ground Turkey

Chicken on the bone

Franks

Fish Sticks

Canned Tuna, Sardines, Salmon

Tofu

Bologna

Edamame

Carbs

Rice

Oatmeal

Pasta

Split Peas

Bread

Generic Corn Flakes

Flour

Corn

Pop Corn

Potato Chips

Frozen French Fries

Potatoes

Frozen Pizza

Ramen Noodles

Quinoa

Produce:

Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Corn

Onions

Carrots

Cucumber

Cabbage

Zuchinni

Apples

Bananas

Oranges

Watermelon

Lettuce

Spinach

Tomatoes

Peppers

Squash

Eggplant

Green Pepper

Kiwi

Butternut Squash

Pumpkin/canned pumpkin

Sunflower Seeds

Canned Fruit and Vegetables

Frozen Berries

Tomato Sauce/Ketchup

I'm guessing this is not a kosher specific list?
Eggs are very expensive right now. Cy milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt are also very expensive. Ground beef and ground turkey are very pricey as well. Frozen pizza is not cheap. Even kosher ramen is relatively expensive compared to regular pasta.

Chicken, hot dogs, fish sticks and even bologna are also very expensive.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes and no.
It could be that you always buy x at a certain store because on the whole it's cheaper and what do you know, another store had it on sale too. Do you drive there for the sale? It depends. Maybe there's a gas station there that's cheaper and a few other things on sale, or errands you can bundle, etc.
I think we have to make basic efforts. We're not going to be 100% getting the best deals on everything.

Practice makes perfect Smile
Sales tend to come in cycles. Around Chanukka always sales on lamp oil and olive oil,YK I see sale on nerot neshama.
Some items come regularly here on sale for example tehina or salad sauces.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:55 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Where did this list come from? I assume it's not in order of $$.

Has someone who works in a grocery store I can tell you right now that list is not at all accurate I have been seeing so many items going up.

And not to mention those fruits / vegetables can change from one day to the next depending on the produce market

There's also an egg / milk market which means across the industry the prices are going up

We have been fighting with WIC for over 2 months to allow us to raise the milk price because it's costing us almost as much as we're selling it for.

Even Goya just raised all their canned prices

Can't fish has always been expensive especially if you get the kosher brands

everything on this list has gone up

I could theoretically go through the entire list and tell you some pricing and stuff but I actually have to do my job now.

Please don't hate me for doing my job

And definitely please don't yell at the cashiers because they really have no control over the pricing

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:59 am
singleagain wrote:
Has someone who works in a grocery store I can tell you right now that list is not at all accurate I have been seeing so many items going up.

And not to mention those fruits / vegetables can change from one day to the next depending on the produce market

There's also an egg / milk market which means across the industry the prices are going up

We have been fighting with WIC for over 2 months to allow us to raise the milk price because it's costing us almost as much as we're selling it for.

I could theoretically go through the entire list and tell you some pricing and stuff but I actually have to do my job now.

And definitely please don't yell at the cashiers because they really have no control over the pricing

Hugs for everything you have to put up with.
CY milk just went up and all I could think was, how did they manage to last so long?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:01 am
singleagain wrote:
Thanks and it doesn't even have to be your own teenager if you just know a teenager especially on who's struggling with math I tell you working now with numbers makes so much of my elementary and high school math makes sense

Reminds me of Roseanne when she takes her daughter Becky's class on a field trip to the grocery LOL

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:01 am
By the way when I say to shop sales I don't mean running around from one store to the other two other to get the cheapest things. I mean when it's time to do a large shopping, look at the circulars for the two or three stores in your neighborhood and most of them will email you them compare the the circulars and the sales and and see what's cheaper of your shopping list

Shopping with the shopping list that actually sticking to it also helps keep the cost down because and definitely never shop when you're hungry because when you're hungry and when you don't have a list you're more likely your eyes will wander and whatever

Now my store specifically puts the items on sale on the end caps so you know I would also say and we also have these huge runways shop the runway shop the end caps don't necessarily go deep into the aisle A lot of stuff depending on what you need you can find at the beginning or end of the aisle again the less likely you go down an aisle is less likely that you'll grab random things

And again last minute you know just like a we carry like 15 different brands of pasta sauce get the cheaper one

Sorry I'm doing the voice to text thing againSorry I'm doing the voice to text thing again

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:04 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Hugs for everything you have to put up with.
CY milk just went up and all I could think was, how did they manage to last so long?

Personally we went back and forth with one of our CY vendors trying to get them to keep their price down.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:13 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
I'm guessing this is not a kosher specific list?
Eggs are very expensive right now. Cy milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt are also very expensive. Ground beef and ground turkey are very pricey as well. Frozen pizza is not cheap. Even kosher ramen is relatively expensive compared to regular pasta.

Chicken, hot dogs, fish sticks and even bologna are also very expensive.

Ground beef lately I’m finding one of the cheapest proteins to feed my family.

Regarding ramen - I wish I could tell ppl not to buy the cup of soups. But the ramen pkgs and make your own. It’s more then 1/2 the price.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:19 am
singleagain wrote:

I'm very grateful for all tips and advices you as an insider can give! Flower

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:30 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I'm very grateful for all tips and advices you as an insider can give! Flower

Glad to help.

R11

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 11:10 am
how does one sign up for free shipt - through having a visa cc?
sounds intriguing and would be interested in attempting
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics