Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Clean secular novel recommendation?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 10:49 am
Hi, I'm looking for secular book recommendations - clean, no s-x scenes. Historical fiction is best but really anything that well written and more or less clean... thank you!

nightingale1

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 12:19 pm
Bump

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 9:51 pm
Deleted

DrMom

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 1:58 pm
Most classic literature will meet all your criteria.

amother
Fern

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 6:20 pm
christian romance
clean, no relations, talks about god...

kim vogel sawyer is great

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 6:39 pm
A tale of two cities
The scarlet pimpernel

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 6:45 pm
Brian Sanderson's science fiction novels. I believe he's a Mormon and appears to have a lot of frum fans.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 7:58 pm
Sophie Kinsella is not historical but she's good and pretty clean.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 8:01 pm
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
christian romance
clean, no relations, talks about god...

kim vogel sawyer is great

I would argue in some ways christian romance is worse than reading secular books w relations

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 8:49 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Sophie Kinsella is not historical but she's good and pretty clean.
Actually, one of her books- not a Shopaholic book- is quite filthy. But the Shopaholics are mostly clean with some cursing, except I think one of them is more problematic than the others.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:16 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Actually, one of her books- not a Shopaholic book- is quite filthy. But the Shopaholics are mostly clean with some cursing, except I think one of them is more problematic than the others.

Really? I guess I didn't read that one. Most of them are pretty clean though.

As for cursing - unfortunately this is life in the twenty first century. The younger people can't get two words out without using foul language. I don't remember it in her books though.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:17 pm
Some Jenny Colgans are pretty clean.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:29 pm
The Help

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:36 pm
Pretty much any cozy mystery should be ok. I'm on another forum with a lot of literary threads. One poster there actually is a cozy mystery writer (I forget her name, though) and she said they have very strict "rules" and one is that there can't be any depictions of s*x, at most a kiss. Also, they are strict regarding language.

Other authors that should be clean with no s*x and only mild language at most: Connie Willis, Lynda Cohen Loigman, most of Jennifer Ryan's books--her newest is The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle (historical), some of Lauren Willig's books--definitely her newest, Band of Sisters (also historical).

Of course, there are also older authors, such as Loula Grace Erdman, Bess Streeter Aldrich, Mary Stewart, Helen McInnes, etc--most of their books are either still in print or have recently been reprinted.

Plus various classics by the Brontes, Austen, Alcott, Eliot, Wharton, Dickens, etc...

amother
Fern

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:42 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I would argue in some ways christian romance is worse than reading secular books w relations

to each their own
I appreciate not reading s*x scenes but having clean romance

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:51 pm
Rhys Bowen is another suggestion for clean books (she's written several series as well as several standalones). She has written several mystery series (some of which are historical) and also just plain historical books. She actually has a new one coming out this summer.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:43 am
Debbie Macomber is clean romance, as is Sharon Sala. As others have said the cozy mystery genre is very good as well. You can look up older threads for more inspiration.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 4:29 am
Agatha Christie is pretty clean

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 4:59 am
I have been reading a lot of really old novels, like 19th century or early 20th century. They are almost completely clean, sweet, a nice look back at a world that doesn't exist anymore. Best thing is that they are in the public domain, so available for free on kindle.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 5:51 am
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room