Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/o Food Shopping UK Mums where do you shop?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:56 am
Hi,
I’m newish to this country, I grew up in Israel and the US, so obviously the food shopping there is quite a different experience. Most items were labeled with a hechsher and if it’s an acceptable one you take it. that was that.
I shop Tesco occasionally but my main shopping is still there kosher stores which is pretty expensive. I’d love to shop in a regular store but when I go I’m overwhelmed by trying to figure out what’s kosher and what’s not. I have the KLBD app but many items are not listed.
Which store has the best value and best rewards program, most products ect? Tesco, sainsbury, lidl, waitrose ect.?
Right now I buy produce (which I love), salmon, bread, few snacks I now are ok, frozen vegetables, drinks ect.
I’d love to buy more snacks, ice lollies and ice cream, tins, drinks, ingredients ect

I’m always afraid that some things I buy are not kosher. It’s just stressful.

Help and advice please!

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:07 am
So most people I know they shop their fresh veggies and fruits at Lidl, flour is always kosher as sugar as most of the veg oil and all the soda in Lidl and Tesco are all kosher my RW yeshivish family just get the house label of the lidl in drinks. I don't know where you are in Manchester or London. But I know about both places since I have extended family there.
Anyhoo, Manchester Beis Din Hechsher is on all the Heinz products, for instance, I also thought there is a list for both hechsherim and buying these things in Tesco or in Sainsbury's is cheaper than Kosher Kingdom (London) or Hapers.
Shefa Mehandrin and Kosherdeli can be cheap if you do the deals of the meals, just see what's on offer, same with all the other kosher shops. There is kosher savers or kosher outlet in both of these places and lots of people go there.
In a few Tesco's and Sainsbury's there are cheaper kosher stuff, also vegan meat is there much cheaper then the kosher stores my SIL has the tesco app and you type in kosher and you see what's available.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:20 am
I do my main weekly shopping at tesco and kosher outlet.
As far as the kosher food in tesco, I use the is it kosher app as I shop and after some time you learn what is and isn't ok. If it isn't listed then I assume it means it hasn't been checked and I don't buy it. Occasionally I will take a photo of the ingredients if it all seems ok and email it in to check. I do this really only with drinks and medications.
The app will also tell you what foods you can buy without a hechsher even if not on the list.

Pasta, flour, some sugar, alpro milks, alpro yoghurts, nature valley bars, ryvita, baby food like oaty bars or Ella's kitchen, corn thins, cereals, jam, honey, frozen fruit, some ice lollies and ice pops, winders, peelers etc from the 'healthy' aisle, if you eat gf alot of it is ok, tinned corn, possibly other veg but I've never checked, tinned fruits, coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate drink powder,
Off the top of my head these are some things I buy in tesco. But you do have to check each item because within each group there could be some which are fine and some not.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:20 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So most people I know they shop their fresh veggies and fruits at Lidl, flour is always kosher as sugar as most of the veg oil and all the soda in Lidl and Tesco are all kosher my RW yeshivish family just get the house label of the lidl in drinks. I don't know where you are in Manchester or London. But I know about both places since I have extended family there.
Anyhoo, Manchester Beis Din Hechsher is on all the Heinz products, for instance, I also thought there is a list for both hechsherim and buying these things in Tesco or in Sainsbury's is cheaper than Kosher Kingdom (London) or Hapers.
Shefa Mehandrin and Kosherdeli can be cheap if you do the deals of the meals, just see what's on offer, same with all the other kosher shops. There is kosher savers or kosher outlet in both of these places and lots of people go there.
In a few Tesco's and Sainsbury's there are cheaper kosher stuff, also vegan meat is there much cheaper then the kosher stores my SIL has the tesco app and you type in kosher and you see what's available.

Some things that come up as kosher are not kosher at all.
Please do not rely on a non Jewish stores app when it Comes to kashrus. The pitfalls are serious.

Ruchi

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
I’m newish to this country, I grew up in Israel and the US, so obviously the food shopping there is quite a different experience. Most items were labeled with a hechsher and if it’s an acceptable one you take it. that was that.
I shop Tesco occasionally but my main shopping is still there kosher stores which is pretty expensive. I’d love to shop in a regular store but when I go I’m overwhelmed by trying to figure out what’s kosher and what’s not. I have the KLBD app but many items are not listed.
Which store has the best value and best rewards program, most products ect? Tesco, sainsbury, lidl, waitrose ect.?
Right now I buy produce (which I love), salmon, bread, few snacks I now are ok, frozen vegetables, drinks ect.
I’d love to buy more snacks, ice lollies and ice cream, tins, drinks, ingredients ect

I’m always afraid that some things I buy are not kosher. It’s just stressful.

Help and advice please!

Several reliable people have reported seeing the lobster and Salmon fish being cut with the same knive at our local Morrisons.
Also, in one case the knive from the treif meat department adjacent to the fish department was used to cut salmon.
Besides being a kashrus issue, this is a breach in hygiene and cross contamination.

After hearing this, I'm more than happy to support my local Jewish fishmongers even though it costs more.

Last edited by Ruchi on Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

s c

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:25 am
If you're in London then kosher outlet is cheaper especially for meats. Also you can go to any supermarket and use the Beth Din kashrus app to check supermarket items.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:26 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
Some things that come up as kosher are not kosher at all.
Please do not rely on a non Jewish stores app when it Comes to kashrus. The pitfalls are serious.
true she uses as
Comparison of the kosher store s

English3

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:40 am
What location in uk are you talking about?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:57 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
tinned corn, possibly other veg but I've never checked, tinned fruit.

Most tinned veg is fine - potatoes, corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes..also pulses - chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, butter beans...

Actually, tinned fruit in juice is usually not ok as the juice includes grape juice, but in syrup is fine.
Drinks are fine as long as they don't include grape juice or grape extract in the ingredients, except for Nakd drinks, which are likely to be contaminated with grape juice even though they dont say it in the ingredients.

Also dried lentils, rice, pulses and grains, plain dried fruit and roasted nuts and seeds are fine.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:09 am
Can you ask someone who’s been living in london all her life if you can join her on her next Tesco shopping trip and show you around while she shops so you have a better idea? I grew up in london so to me it was always second nature, live in the US now, it’s a whole different world!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:21 am
Ruchi wrote:
I'm more than happy to support my local Jewish fishmongers even though it costs more.

If you mean Kornbluh, I agree - they are the best!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:46 am
Thanks all!! Nice to meet other UK dwellers coming out of the woodworks on imamother!

I’m in London.

Oh no about the salmon. It’s really really really expensive in KK and I eat it almost every day plus server on Shabbos.

I went once with a friend and that was helpful. I most everyone else I know shops in the kosher shops.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:46 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I do my main weekly shopping at tesco and kosher outlet.
As far as the kosher food in tesco, I use the is it kosher app as I shop and after some time you learn what is and isn't ok. If it isn't listed then I assume it means it hasn't been checked and I don't buy it. Occasionally I will take a photo of the ingredients if it all seems ok and email it in to check. I do this really only with drinks and medications.
The app will also tell you what foods you can buy without a hechsher even if not on the list.

Pasta, flour, some sugar, alpro milks, alpro yoghurts, nature valley bars, ryvita, baby food like oaty bars or Ella's kitchen, corn thins, cereals, jam, honey, frozen fruit, some ice lollies and ice pops, winders, peelers etc from the 'healthy' aisle, if you eat gf alot of it is ok, tinned corn, possibly other veg but I've never checked, tinned fruits, coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate drink powder,
Off the top of my head these are some things I buy in tesco. But you do have to check each item because within each group there could be some which are fine and some not.

Super helpful! Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:47 am
Forgot to mention we eat dairy (ou-d). Besides for chocolates and ice creams I’d love to buy milk, cheeses, yoghurts ect from tesco. Can anyone advise?

leilatov1

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:10 am
All regular cows milk is kosher, plain and fruit flavour yogurt is fine with no grape or gelatin check the ingredients. There are no cheese that is kosher without a hechsher you have to purchase in kosher shop

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Super helpful! Thank you!

Glad this helped!

But please check each item because even within each group some are not kosher, like a pp mentioned some tinned fruit not allowed. Also eg Ella's kitchen some are not kosher some are. Etc the app will also tell you if something is kosher and not chalav yisroel
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics