Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Europe: Two days in or near England, trip ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:16 pm
We'll be in London for a chasuna beginning of September. The wedding will take place on Monday and we will be staying till after Shabbos sheva brochos. Where can we go from Tuesday to Thursday without breaking the bank? We would love for our itinerary to include some Jewish sights. We were thinking of going to Reb Shayala's kever in Kerestir, Hungary (cheap and kosher food) but then there isn't much else to do there with our young teens. We wouldn't want to do only kevarim because that's not interesting for the kids. Prague has both, Jewish and other attractions, but is pricey. Is there anything in the United Kingdom area that would be interesting for us? Any ideas are welcome.
TIA!

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:57 pm
I absolutely loved Edinburgh and would love to go back there from a Tuesday to Thursday! If you want to add more Jewish flavor, you could stop in Gateshead on the way there or back.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:59 pm
doctorima wrote:
I absolutely loved Edinburgh and would love to go back there from a Tuesday to Thursday! If you want to add more Jewish flavor, you could stop in Gateshead on the way there or back.

Thank you for responding. What's there to see in Edingburgh?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:59 pm
Tues-Thurs isn't much time. I'd just use the time to bop around London.

It's not worth all the schlepping and airfares are pricey.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:07 pm
There's loads of tourist things to do in London, just Google it. If you like nature or hiking there's loads of beauty spots a few hours drive away.

If you decide to go to Edinburgh, again loads of tourist attractions, very picturesque. (I suggest going by plane, because it's a long drive, then rent a car in Scotland if you want to go to the Highlands.)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:20 pm
I live in London and wasn't entranced by Edinburgh. Very pricey for tourist attractions. Weather not great. London is vibrant and bustling. There will be so much to do in the time you have. There's a great thread for London ideas.

You could always go to Enfield beis hachaim in London for the shotzer rebbe kever...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:35 pm
Thank you all so much for your replies. I'll check out the London ideas thread.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:37 pm
Aylat wrote:
There's loads of tourist things to do in London, just Google it. If you like nature or hiking there's loads of beauty spots a few hours drive away.

If you decide to go to Edinburgh, again loads of tourist attractions, very picturesque. (I suggest going by plane, because it's a long drive, then rent a car in Scotland if you want to go to the Highlands.)

Where exactly would you recommend?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:41 pm
What about Paris? There's a lot to do there and if you're going after peak it shouldn't be too expensive. It's very accessible by eurostar or plane and the public transportation in Paris is excellent. Lots of restaurants and cafes there as well.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:04 pm
I find this type of question very difficult, do you like nature? Museums??

There are a lot of things to do in London, and if that is not enough you could also do day trips from London like Oxford or Cambridge. Paris is also a good idea.

Flying these last few months in the UK and also in Europe has been really insane with 1. Crazy security lines (not enough staff post covid) 2. flights being cancelled or delayed left and right due to lack of staff or baggage handlers or whatever. 3. Since the UK is no longer in the EU passport lines are now much longer for non eu passport holders. I recently missed a flight because of this - some european airports make you do passport control before boarding.

So I would really think twice before setting foot in an airport unless you really have to.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:30 pm
Raisin wrote:
I find this type of question very difficult, do you like nature? Museums??

There are a lot of things to do in London, and if that is not enough you could also do day trips from London like Oxford or Cambridge. Paris is also a good idea.

Flying these last few months in the UK and also in Europe has been really insane with 1. Crazy security lines (not enough staff post covid) 2. flights being cancelled or delayed left and right due to lack of staff or baggage handlers or whatever. 3. Since the UK is no longer in the EU passport lines are now much longer for non eu passport holders. I recently missed a flight because of this - some european airports make you do passport control before boarding.

So I would really think twice before setting foot in an airport unless you really have to.

I was going to mention this too. I know people who got stuck when going away now for shavuos. If it were me I wouldn't bother flying anywhere for 2 days unless you absolutely don't want to be in England.

For something jewish in London there is the shotzer rebbe Kever, and I've seen someone advertise jewish tours of the British museum.
If you want something a little out of the box and not the usual tourist site there is Bletchley Park, this is where the British code breaking headquarters was during the war. There is a code breaking museum there now and maybe another museum. Its supposed to be very good.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:51 pm
There is also a Jewish museum in London, and you can go to some of the old shuls such as Bevis Marks. There is a probably jewish themed walking tours of the East End if you want to spend money. (Or just google for sites worth checking out)

For nature sites. try googling. https://www.timeout.com/london.....ondon

Kew gardens is a spectacular botanical gardens with some very cool features like an elevated walkway.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:32 pm
Thank you all for the heads up on air travel from the UK to the EU. I guess we should stick to destinations within the UK. Thank you all again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics