Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Monsey-Aldi? Whats your experience?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:47 am
Im looking to lower my grocery bill-particularly for fuits,vegetables, eggs, oil..
Anyone in the monsey area shop in Aldi? I see one located in Nanuet. Ive heard theyre cheaper, but id like to hear from people who've gone...

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 12:00 pm
I don’t go to that location but I love aldi so much it’s my favorite store in the world.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:10 pm
Which location do you go to?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:14 pm
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Which location do you go to?

Based on proximity I go the one in the Bronx but it’s not a nice one. I love the one in Hackensack though I’ve heard the one in Bergenfield is even nicer

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:41 pm
So anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I also think it depends if you hold of certain hechsherim and are machmir/meikil on certain things.

Milk- I don't eat OU-D so I don't know
Eggs- 2 weeks ago, they were more expensive than some jewish stores and walmart
Can good- more or less equivalent to walmart
Oil- if you order on walmart, you can get the bigger bottles for cheaper there. Aldi in nanuet only has the smaller bottles
Mustard/sauce/ketchup- cheap (I don't know if the same price as walmart or not)
Grapes- typically cheaper than jewish stores and are good
I don't buy their salad bags since I buy bodek like hechsher
Some of their cheap breads don't have a hechsher, but they do have cheap bagels with it
Salmon- I don't buy salmon without a hechsher but some are leneient and allow with skin, if you do hold of that, I last heard it was cheaper
Pretzels (crisp, honey wheat) are cheap if the jewish stores don't have theirs on sale
Graham crackers and snackers I believe are cheaper
Their sugar had a funny hechsher but CRC says that sugar doesn't need a hechsher
Salt- I don't believe has a hechsher but CRC says it doesn't need a hechsher
I don't personally like their squash since I don't think it last long
Onions- equivalent to bingo
bananas- I believe were equivalent to shoprite
Baby food pouches are cheaper than walmarts but their prices just rose so not sure if it will be equivalent. If you don't mind the plain ones (like just apple, just pear or mix of apple, pear and berry), Shoprite also has a sale on theirs and that came out cheaper than aldis
Pasta- Shoprite has a sale on brand name now and Aldis has a small selection of kosher pasta
I don't buy their tissues or paper towels since I like brand name and order on amazon through subscribe and save

Anything I say regarding CRC, please double check.
Also, prices are changing everywhere. If you really want to be serious, you can get other stores apps as well as Aldis and compare through there.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
So anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I also think it depends if you hold of certain hechsherim and are machmir/meikil on certain things.

Oil- if you order on walmart, you can get the bigger bottles for cheaper there. Aldi in nanuet only has the smaller bottles
Some of their cheap breads don't have a hechsher, but they do have cheap bagels with it
Salmon- I don't buy salmon without a hechsher but some are leneient and allow with skin, if you do hold of that, I last heard it was cheaper
Pretzels (crisp, honey wheat) are cheap if the jewish stores don't have theirs on sale
Their sugar had a funny hechsher but CRC says that sugar doesn't need a hechsher
Baby food pouches are cheaper than walmarts but their prices just rose so not sure if it will be equivalent. If you don't mind the plain ones (like just apple, just pear or mix of apple, pear and berry), Shoprite also has a sale on theirs and that came out cheaper than aldis
Pasta- Shoprite has a sale on brand name now and Aldis has a small selection of kosher pasta
I don't buy their tissues or paper towels since I like brand name and order on amazon through subscribe and save

Also, prices are changing everywhere. If you really want to be serious, you can get other stores apps as well as Aldis and compare through there.
Wow! You are really a savvy shopper! Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:48 pm

Thank you so much for this!!

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for this!!

Sure, grapes were also on sale in ShopRite this week for a 1.49/lb (MUCH cheaper than Jewish stores...) And ShopRite also had corn on cob 5 for 4$ which is typically cheaper than Aldi's although I cheshboned that frozen corn on cob is cheapest (unless evergreen has their 10 for 2$ sale again...)

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:57 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Wow! You are really a savvy shopper! Smile

I try. I'm the crazy one in the store with my Walmart app open comparing prices lol.

Although sometimes, I don't have the energy or time so although I try, I'm not always the greatest.

Also, cheshbon gas now. I mean if your really going there to save 2$ on food, are you spending more on gas?!?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:59 pm
I try. I'm the crazy one in the store with my Walmart app open comparing prices lol.

Although sometimes, I don't have the energy or time so although I try, I'm not always the greatest.

Also, cheshbon gas now. I mean if your really going there to save 2$ on food, are you spending more on gas?!?
I know. And sometimes all it has to do with is how much time you have to go shopping and when the first bus is arriving.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:02 pm
I’m the aldi lover above. We eat chalav stam and pas akum so we buy yogurt, cream cheese, milk, creamer, ice cream, lots of bakery items, And snack items and (yes the skin on salmon) frozen foods like tater tot’s and pierogies, cereal, oatmeal, bars, baking staples, etc etc. I love aldi so much

snailmail

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:44 pm
We eat Cholov Yisroel but I still love Aldi. Their produce is so much better quality and much cheaper than our local Jewish supermarkets. Even when not on sale. As well as cereal, snacks and other items. Like anything anywhere, you need to check all prices and hechsherim. Its a bit further out for me, but if I just go there once every week or two to stock up it is so worth it. Grapes on sale 99c! I dont think anywhere cheaper.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:50 pm
We eat organic produce when we can and they have good prices on that. We eat chalav stam and their milk is usually a dollar cheaper per half gallon. I shop there weekly and just fill in with ShopRite and kosher stores for things I can't get. They have parve crackers and a lot of basics. I don't think it's always cheaper than ShopRite brand, especially with sales, but I don't have to worry about coupons and waiting for sales and I can get in and out of there FAST, which is great for weekdays. ShopRite is never fast for me. I don't live in Monsey, though I'm not far.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:51 pm
snailmail wrote:
We eat Cholov Yisroel but I still love Aldi. Their produce is so much better quality and much cheaper than our local Jewish supermarkets. Even when not on sale. As well as cereal, snacks and other items. Like anything anywhere, you need to check all prices and hechsherim. Its a bit further out for me, but if I just go there once every week or two to stock up it is so worth it. Grapes on sale 99c! I dont think anywhere cheaper.

It was 99 cents this week?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:48 pm
Prices at Aldi vary according to location so you need to know the details for yours. For example things are generally cheaper in the Bergenfield location than Hackensack even though the stores are only a few miles apart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries