Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did you think gas prices would get so high?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:06 pm
I knew gas prices would rise but I never thought it would get this high. I can't believe I am paying over $5 a gallon!! How high do you think it will continue to go?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:17 pm
I'm guessing it will go up another dollar or two per gallon soon enough. Totally expected. This is a plan to force us into electric cars or public transportation - make us "green" while the ones puling all the strings continue to fly around the world in private jets.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:19 pm
I didn’t guess a number but I knew it would her high.
What’s creepy to me is that I studied this in economics class for my degree a few years ago and we had classes on recessions and inflation. And how the cycles work and why by 2025 we would have had another bad inflation. We had no clue how or when exactly it would happen but it was inevitable. It’s the way the economy works.

It will prob go up a drop more and then level out for a while and hopefully drop down a little more maybe next year or in 2.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:21 pm
I remember when it was just CA paying $5 a gallon just a month or two ago and I thanked God NJ was normaler than CA. So much for that!

It’s actually not normal, and our government is evil for allowing this. I’m barely able to afford to pay $80 each time I fill up on gas and I earn a decent enough salary and don’t spend much - I don’t know what people who are earning less than me are doing. NJ still hasn’t gotten rid of its gas tax. And why aren’t we producing oil here?

It’s making me wish I could afford to buy a Tesla - my friend who bought one last year loves gloating. I just can’t afford it though.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:28 pm
Trump warned us that it will go to $6-7 and then they’ll tell us to drive electric cars.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:38 pm
Gas prices are not a result of a conspiracy by manufacturers of electric cars nor are they the fault of any specific person unless you want to blame Putin.

There is a shortage of crude oil because of the embargo on Russian oil by most countries because of the invasion in the Ukraine.

And crude oil production and supply is not immune to factors pushing prices up in all sectors including transportation and labor.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:40 pm
Amarante wrote:
Gas prices are not a result of a conspiracy by manufacturers of electric cars nor are they the fault of any specific person unless you want to blame Putin.

There is a shortage of crude oil because of the embargo on Russian oil by most countries because of the invasion in the Ukraine.

And crude oil production and supply is not immune to factors pushing prices up in all sectors including transportation and labor.

Let's not forget that Biden has shut down US oil production.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:45 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
I remember when it was just CA paying $5 a gallon just a month or two ago and I thanked God NJ was normaler than CA. So much for that!

It’s actually not normal, and our government is evil for allowing this. I’m barely able to afford to pay $80 each time I fill up on gas and I earn a decent enough salary and don’t spend much - I don’t know what people who are earning less than me are doing. NJ still hasn’t gotten rid of its gas tax. And why aren’t we producing oil here?

It’s making me wish I could afford to buy a Tesla - my friend who bought one last year loves gloating. I just can’t afford it though.

You don’t have to get a Tesla, there are plenty of cheaper electric options from other companies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:47 pm
Amarante wrote:

If we would produce our own oil we wouldn't be dependent on Russia. Trump actually warned it would go to $8-9 a gallon. That's frightening.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:57 pm
Amarante wrote:

Except that the gas prices went up long before Russia made trouble.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:04 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I'm guessing it will go up another dollar or two per gallon soon enough. Totally expected. This is a plan to force us into electric cars or public transportation - make us "green" while the ones puling all the strings continue to fly around the world in private jets.

Can someone please, please explain this to me - how does driving electric cars help? Is electricity free? Does creating electricity not cause pollution as well? And dont you realize that if everyone would switch to electric cars the price of electricity would skyrocket? (You know, that pesky economic theory about supply and demand....?).

relaxation

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:22 pm
I used to look for the cheapest gas station when the prices were low and try to save money and accumulate points on my credit card. I would also do a full tank. Now I don't really care anymore. Expensive is just expensive.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:33 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Can someone please, please explain this to me - how does driving electric cars help? Is electricity free? Does creating electricity not cause pollution as well? And dont you realize that if everyone would switch to electric cars the price of electricity would skyrocket? (You know, that pesky economic theory about supply and demand....?).

Right on target. And do you know what actually creates electricity? Those pesky coal powered plants that are blamed for pollution. T

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:13 pm
Amarante wrote:

Yeah but it’s always the governments fault. Particularly if they’re democrats.
I have 3 friends in 3 different countries who are all blaming their high gas prices on their government. Which is LOL funny.

Fwiw Tesla’s and other electric car owners may be happy they don’t pay gas but I know for a fact many local (I’m NYC anyway) charging places are private and charge$$ to use it. And I know a few neighbors who drive Tesla’s who hve gotten stuck in random places with no battery or can’t leave because the car needs to update for an hour etc. so it’s not always green on the other side of the fence. .

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:15 pm
$10 and rising unbelievable

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:16 pm
Here in CA it’s closer to $7 a gallon. I honestly thought there’d be a bigger outcry than this and our politicians would remove some of the taxes.

But it seems no one cares.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics