Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to unpack new kitchen - any tips?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:19 pm
I’ve always had a tiny kitchen with not enough room for pantry items, my mixer….only one sink and one oven
Finally moved bH and have a new kitchen, with a lot more space, a pantry, more drawers….
Where do I start? What’s the best place for each item?
The upper cabinets are only 11” so pretty shallow
Bottom cabinets are mostly drawers

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:33 pm
I’m not professional in any way but I enjoy this stuff...
Just some quick things that come to mind:

If you use a lot of disposable dishes and want your kids or yourself to have easy access keep that in mind.

If you can put the baking ingredients in an upper cabinet above the counter near where the mixer is in a lower cabinet...

Spices near where you’ll be cooking...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:33 pm
Pots underneath. Meaty on the meat side, dairy on the dairy side. Drawers keep things neat and easily accessible.
Utensils in the drawer above the pots, right beneath the counter.
Spices in the upper cabinet near stove- above the counter that you most often work off of- your most used workspace (for me it's the largest part of the meaty counter, to the right of my oven/stovetop).
You'll find your way from there I'm sure.
Hatzlacha and Mazel Tov on the move!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:50 pm
These are great pointers to start with! Thank you!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:00 pm
If you have Instagram Ruthie Levy is amazing.
Or try on YouTube Alejandra TV she's also great

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:36 pm
Enjoy it! Such a good feeling to cook in a spacious organized kitchen.

I put my spice cabinet by the fleishig side. Then by milchig side I left one small top cabinet with coffee, salt, pepper, spray oil, hot cocoa powder, tea bags.

I need to put my paper goods in a drawer lower down so kids can reach take alone.

small cabinet over stove is for my cookbooks and dishtowels. (I'm kinda tall so that works)

big, deep cabinet over fridge I use for hot plate and for extra big bowls or fancy boards , extra vases.... Things that I don't use often, but don't want to put in storage.

Do you have a pantry? I put on the pantry door a cup dispenser, so it's easy for kids (and adults) to get a cup and also a shopping bag holder.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:32 pm
Whichever side you were used to put your milchik and fleishik things, use the same side in your new place. You have developed muscle memory and will automatically reach left for dairy and right for meat (or vice versa if that's what you were used to). Don't mess with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics