Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lace top wigs- Baltimore/ ner yisrael area

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:35 am
Hi! I'll be moving to the Baltimore/ ner yisrael area soon and would like to know the norms. In my area now lots of people even in kollel circles have lace fronts and tops. I know there are some kollel men and yeshiva communities where it is majorly frowned upon and some where it's a non issue. What is the situation currently in the ner yisrael and greater Baltimore community?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! I'll be moving to the Baltimore/ ner yisrael area soon and would like to know the norms. In my area now lots of people even in kollel circles have lace fronts and tops. I know there are some kollel men and yeshiva communities where it is majorly frowned upon and some where it's a non issue. What is the situation currently in the ner yisrael and greater Baltimore community?

Baltimorean here.

Do you mean, by "Ner Israel area", you are moving to Yeshiva Lane? If so, I have no idea what the women on Yeshiva Lane wear in terms of sheitels.

The greater frum community in Baltimore all live together for the most part. Baltimore is VERY "to each their own" and there is honestly not a concept here of frowning upon someone's hair covering. It's a non-issue here.

Having said that, I am not a kollel wife and if Ner Israel kollel wives have their own culture, I am completely unaware of it. I imagine there is a N'shei, why not ask on there?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:35 am
I'm from Baltimore. Some of my friends don't cover their hair, some wear kippah falls, lace tops, tichels only, silk top wigs, and synthetics. There's no "standard".
I don't really notice what Yeshiva Lane women wear, but I don't think anyone would care. Best to ask someone who specifically lives there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:34 am
Thank u! Yes looking at yeshiva lane area

advocate

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:37 am
May I suggest you call Cookie Lipsky, sheitelmacher? She has spoken to a number of the leading Baltimore rabbonim about this issue.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:41 am
advocate wrote:
May I suggest you call Cookie Lipsky, sheitelmacher? She has spoken to a number of the leading Baltimore rabbonim about this issue.

Interesting! Curious to know what the “conclusion” of those conversations were.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:46 am
I've never heard of a single Baltimore Rav taking a stand, so to speak, on this. (People may ask and get the Rav's response for them personally but there are no asifas or communal lectures et al about tznius in general in the community.)
So, while I can't answer to the specifics about Yeshiva Lane sheitels (there aren't a ton of younger trendy women living there anyway as far as I know, so it may be a moot point), it's just not the big deal in Baltimore that it is in other communities from ime.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 12:32 pm
Please don't assume anything based on the responses above. I live in Baltimore as well, and although I don't live on Yeshiva Lane, it was something we considered at some point, so I guess I'm from those "circles."

Yes, one of the wonderful things about Baltimore is that people do not judge other people for their hair coverings (or other things like that), and I truly believe that that's true on Yeshiva Lane as well. But although no one would say anything to you, and honestly many people on Yeshiva Lane probably wouldn't even know a lace-top sheitel if it hit them in the face, I would be surprised if most of them have one...so you might feel like the odd one out if you wear it there.

For the record, I do know at least one rav in Baltimore (not on Yeshiva Lane) who commented on it in the context of another discussion, on Shabbos one week, and mentioned that he didn't think it was a good idea to be "poretz geder" by purchasing something that has the sole purpose of "not looking like you're covering your hair." Now, I'm sure there are women who continue to wear lace-top sheitels in his shul--this is Baltimore, so no one is going to say "boo" to them for it-- but that's in town, not on Yeshiva Lane. So I would definitely contact someone who actually lives on Yeshiva Lane for their take on it, not these imamothers who do not.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 12:35 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Please don't assume anything based on the responses above. I live in Baltimore as well, and although I don't live on Yeshiva Lane, it was something we considered at some point, so I guess I'm from those "circles."

Yes, one of the wonderful things about Baltimore is that people do not judge other people for their hair coverings (or other things like that), and I truly believe that that's true on Yeshiva Lane as well. But although no one would say anything to you, and honestly many people on Yeshiva Lane probably wouldn't even know a lace-top sheitel if it hit them in the face, I would be surprised if most of them have one...so you might feel like the odd one out if you wear it there.

For the record, I do know at least one rav in Baltimore (not on Yeshiva Lane) who commented on it in the context of another discussion, on Shabbos one week, and mentioned that he didn't think it was a good idea to be "poretz geder" by purchasing something that has the sole purpose of "not looking like you're covering your hair." Now, I'm sure there are women who continue to wear lace-top sheitels in his shul--this is Baltimore, so no one is going to say "boo" to them for it-- but that's in town, not on Yeshiva Lane. So I would definitely contact someone who actually lives on Yeshiva Lane for their take on it, not these imamothers who do not.
\
I think that's what most of these comments said. To contact the Yeshiva Lane ladies.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank u! Yes looking at yeshiva lane area

Just a heads up on this - Yeshiva Lane is property owned by Ner Yisrael. There is nothing in that area aside from the Yeshiva and their housing units. As far as I am aware, there is a very long waiting list for housing on Yeshiva Lane. Most of the new couples/families to the kollel rent elsewhere (Pickwick apartments, etc) while waiting for an apartment to become available. Yeshiva Lane is not within real walking distance to the rest of the frum community (when people go for shabbos, they stay there, they do not walk in, it's just too far, but possible). It is very possible my information is very outdated, but last I heard, people left kollel altogether before their number on the waiting list was called. People love living there and tend to stay as long as they can.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Just a heads up on this - Yeshiva Lane is property owned by Ner Yisrael. There is nothing in that area aside from the Yeshiva and their housing units. As far as I am aware, there is a very long waiting list for housing on Yeshiva Lane. Most of the new couples/families to the kollel rent elsewhere (Pickwick apartments, etc) while waiting for an apartment to become available. Yeshiva Lane is not within real walking distance to the rest of the frum community (when people go for shabbos, they stay there, they do not walk in, it's just too far, but possible). It is very possible my information is very outdated, but last I heard, people left kollel altogether before their number on the waiting list was called. People love living there and tend to stay as long as they can.

Correct. No one would be moving from out of town to Yeshiva Lane. It's only from the years long waiting list of current Kollel families residing in Baltimore.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
Correct. No one would be moving from out of town to Yeshiva Lane. It's only from the years long waiting list of current Kollel families residing in Baltimore.

Right. I didn't want to say it, because I don't like bursting anyone's bubble, but unless you are closely related to one of the big Ner Yisrael families or are moving because your husband is getting one of the yeshiva positions (in which case I assume she'd already have visited and met some of the ladies there), it's unlikely to move from elsewhere straight to Yeshiva Lane. That's also why my response was more about the broader Baltimore community in general because that's probably where OP will start off. Once someone is in Baltimore and finds their place within kollel couple circles (whether in Pickwick or elsewhere) she can gauge for herself.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 7:34 pm
I'll second the moving to yeshiva lane- massive waitlist, but if you're planning on spending time there, most ladies are non-judgemental (but I doubt they will be wearing lace). OP, are you joining the kollel? If so, majority of the kollel families move to either pickwick or cross country, although there are a couple of other options too. Both places are a big mix although cross country apartments leans a little more right. In general, ppl mind their own buisness here. I know a lot of kollel couples and it's a mix between lace/no lace. Not the type that anyone will lecture you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels