Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Serial Light Years Away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:19 pm
I'm sad it ended!!

I hadn't realized it ended until I read the follow up in the shavuos edition and I'm like wait, what? That was the end? So then I went back to read it. And it made sense.

Also does it run concurrently in Hebrew? Or was it first written in Hebrew and then later in English? Because curious how she got so much feedback on the ending so fast.

Agree with another amother that I didn't like so much the follow-up. Somehow it wasn't on the standard of the entire serial. And it was too apologetic.

Another question I have: I don't understand the whole thing with how Hashem told the moon to diminish itself and how it's different then if Hashem himself had diminished it. How is this not a punishment? And what's the key difference? I still don't understand

I like the yerushalayim shel zahav necklace, it is heartwarming but still I hate the fact that Nechami is left still feeling like she is less than, but she is happy (content?) about that fact.

I also felt we could've used more closure on Yaffa'le and Dudi. We could've seen them as a couple in another chapter exploring their options. Not just Dudi speaking to his mother about it.

And yeah regarding Chaya, I also wondered in the beginning how she went from one extreme to another in terms of who she'll marry. But like another poster said, she's easily influenced and did't really have it set one way or another she just didn't want the difficult times Nechami had.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:21 pm
seeker wrote:
Did I miss something or did we really get no clarity or closure on the Yaffa thread? She went to a place where she was tempted to do something inappropriate and then... Dudi is upset and...? There was a lot going on with them earlier in the story and this whole part I feel like maybe I missed a chapter, was there any interaction between them about this or just the vague sense that Dudi is upset? I didn't even see any clarity on what type of upset he was. Is this a worry about their child's future? Upset at himself for taking his life in this direction? Upset at her for going in the first place? What of that conversation with Nechami implying that she didn't know what she was getting into - did she share that with Dudi? I just feel like I'm missing something and I really liked that girl and feel cheated.

I also liked her. I feel like they have a lot of potential as a couple. They just need to communicate better their thoughts and feelings. They each have a lot to offer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:26 pm
By the way the serial about Bay and Mike, don't recall the name right now, I also felt really ended abruptly.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
By the way the serial about Bay and Mike, don't recall the name right now, I also felt really ended abruptly.

But we knew it was going to end with 15.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:47 pm
cheeseaddict wrote:
Am I the only one who read this serial and understood that this is a beautiful story about people within a society who have their flaws and are growing and maturing into relationships? Like every normal person in the world?

Yes, the characters grapple with issues that will only be found in chareidi society, but why are we making it out to be that every beis yaakov girl will take kollel life to extremes like Nechami. Like every boy who deviates slightly from the hashkafa of his parents will be constantly criticized and ridiculed. Like every kollel avreich is clueless and cares only for learning.

I see a mother who is disappointed in a child and also has anger and acceptance issues. This is not indicative of all mothers in chareidi society, but as part of the story, these are the human flaws of this particular mother.

Nechami has a particular personality which tends towards perfection and feelings of guilt and shame when she is not perfect (in her own eyes, and as she thinks others would set the ideal). She has also grown from an immature young married woman to a woman more accepting of her faults and less ashamed of her shortcomings. Is this not true for all of us?

Likewise, Shua is not self-centered and unaware and putting learning before his family, he is simply doing what he loves and what his own wife keeps pushing him to do. Slightly oblivious, maybe. But what is he supposed to do? Argue with Nechami that she can't handle things on her own? Keeping in mind how young they probably were when they got married, he is also on a journey to understanding and maturity.

His parents raised their children that the girls help out and the boys are kings in the house. Is this true only in charedi society? Really? Is it even rampant in chareidi society? Nechami has issues with it, and it certainly doesn't seem to be how her own brothers were raised, or how she is raising her own sons.

Gedalia is also not rigid because he is chareidi and that is how chreidim are. He happens to be a chareidi with that personality trait, which means he is very well-suited to his job. And most chareidim are not as rigid as he is even in the storyline, as he clearly gets on everyone's nerves with his pedantic editing.

Same for every other character in the story.

This is not a commentary on chareidi society and its flaws.
This is a beautifully written story about people, set in charedi society and how their personalities and inherent traits play out within their upbringing and community and familial expectations.

And it is probably the best written serial I have ever read.

Exactly this! All of it Heart

Odelyah

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First of all. The ending was my favorite part by far!

Java

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I thought it was short and sweet like it was supposed to be.
She realizes that despite the things that bother her she married a great guy and that it's all part of the same package

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 11:21 am
Java wrote:
I thought it was short and sweet like it was supposed to be.
She realizes that despite the things that bother her she married a great guy and that it's all part of the same package

You're right it just felt like Mike had some significant issues. Like arriving an hour late to bday party for her while she's waiting herself in the restaurant as a newlywed? I mean yeah, he's absentminded but that's kind of extreme so I thought she'd explore that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 11:23 am
Hoping Ruti does another serial soon.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 7:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hoping Ruti does another serial soon.
I agree! All my favorite things ended except for Second Dance by Dov Haller Sad I literally bought the whole pkg of mishpacha this week for one serial..
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room