Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dh wants a career change

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:48 pm
I don't know where to begin. Dh just approached me and said he would like to change fields. Problem is he doesn't even know what he wants to do, he just knows he wants to eventually go out on his own. I was totally taken by surprise cuz he never said anything about it before and whenever I asked if he is happy in his field he said yes. We dont know where to start. The big problem is that I know starting out is hard and I don't see how its possible to even survive with a pay cut till he figures it out. I guess this is just a vent or if anyone has any advice.

wife101

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:49 pm
Would he consider talking to a career coach?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:56 pm
It's common to start something on the side while he keeps his regular job. Once it has real potential to generate enough income he can consider quitting his day job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:40 pm
wife101 wrote:
Would he consider talking to a career coach?

Yes open to it? Can you recommend someone in bklyn?
What do they do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:43 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
It's common to start something on the side while he keeps his regular job. Once it has real potential to generate enough income he can consider quitting his day job.

Agree with that. Besides that there isn't enough hrs in the day, but once we get smarter I guess we will figure that out. The problem is he doesn't yet know what he wants to do. And some paths I don't think you can take a course... more like need to work along side someone ex appliance repair.... and that would definitely require a pay cut.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:28 pm
Maybe try contacting Augudah PCS?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
Maybe try contacting Augudah PCS?

Not familiar-what is that?

Tiredmom3

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:58 pm
Did he say why he wants to change careers?

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:40 am
Augdah PCS assists with courses, job placements, resumes, career options, etc.

https://pcsnynj.org/

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:28 am
Totally agree with the posters that say to keep his job while he's starting from him if possible. My husband is a cereal entrepreneur and we've had times where things have gone really well and we've made a ton of money times where we have needed help to get through the week. And yes he did keep his job before when possible. And one of his jobs actually gave him a commission for about 5 years after which really helped us get through the years where he was starting something new. BH past two years have been good and we put money into savings but unfortunately the market is down so if we need to live on that that would be really tough right now

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:41 am
BHexhausted wrote:
Did he say why he wants to change careers?

Not very clearly. I think he just had enough in the field he is in. Not totally sure. He was doing really well from what I understood. He says its a tough field and wouldn't go on his own in this field.

wife101

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes open to it? Can you recommend someone in bklyn?
What do they do?

I don't know of anyone personally. I have heard of someone Shaina Keren. She writes in several papers (I think). You can google her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics