Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Something to cool a room instead of air conditioning

Rugelech

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:57 am
The weather is going to be very hot this week and it really gets to me when I am working in a very hot room.
Air conditioning is not an option.
I am wondering if if anyone uses a powerful fan or something similar which does actually cool the room. A lot of cooling fans make the room hotter not colder.
I would appreciate any feedback.
TIA

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:37 am
All windows to be closed. Close all blinders and curtains.
If your floor can take that you pour lots of water onto it then do it.
Is your air dry? A desert cooler will do the job.
I don't get why a fan should heat up the room. I have freestanding fans in every room during spring-summer and it doesn't heat the air.
You can strap frozen plastic bottles to the fan, it is supposed to cool the air. Check youtube for guidance.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:45 am
Can you install a ceiling fan? I find ceiling fans are very effective in providing circulation. I will often use a ceiling fan plus a small clip on fan blowing directly at me. If it’s hot and humid do not open the windows. You will only be letting me heat and humidity into the room.
Why can’t you use a window unit ac??

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:36 am
What about a portable AC unit?

When we lived in a basement apartment we found a portable unit in the living room and powerful fans on the bedroom floor was enough

S1959

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 5:23 am
A high velocity fan with metal blades.

zigi

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 5:46 am
My husband bought a portable cooler. It works like a humidifier. Water and a peice that you keep in the freezer. Chill well is the name of it

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 5:52 am
We have a few of these Lasko brand standing fan towers. We have a/c but we have a minyan in our house and with 40 guys piled into the room it gets stuffy anyhow, so this was meant to supplement. But we've also used them on those rare occasions when the a/c breaks and they are amazing. Won't cool a whole room fantastically in the summertime, but if you're within a couple feet of it, you're going to feel great.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:10 am
Keep blinds down so sun doesn't heat up the room.

A fan doesn't cool a room but since it moves the air around it feels cooler and your sweat evaporates more quickly which also feels cooler

A ceiling fan is effective and you can also get a standing fan. In the days before electricity people would put large containers of ice in front of the fan which theoretically would "cool" the air that was blowing around.

A smaller fan on your desk or right near you which blows directly on you is also going to make you feel cooler. I do have air conditioning but occasionally I have had no A/C working on a hot day and I just would have a fan blowing on me.

Now they have tower floor fans which don't take up much space and are very effective. The cost ranges from relatively inexpensive to higher - Dyson makes an expensive model which looks elegant and works great if you want to invest.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:29 am
Fans are good in moderate hot weather. There are a lot of factors, including humidity which come into play, but generally speaking their cooling effect becomes far less noticable when ambient air temperature is close to body temperature. Then you just feel like its blowing hot air around.

If a portable air conditioner us an option, they normally work very well. If it isn't, an air cooler can be helpful, though they don't work so well in humid climates.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:33 am
2 fans going at the same time
But I would do anything to have a portable air conditioner

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:37 am
So, coming back to say - because I few people have mentioned that fans just blow hot air around and may not be so helpful when it's really hot - that although the units I mentioned in my post above are fans, they feel like a/c blowing at me. When DH bought them I thought they were portable a/c's. They aren't.

otstud

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:30 am
Maybe try a fan with a dehumidifier, I use them in my basement and they're great
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics