Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
St. Louis, Missouri

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:59 pm
Any Imas currently living in St. Louis? Looking for info as we are considering moving there. Coming from a tiny OOT community that is shrinking and it's affecting the basic infrastructure including education here, trying to find another OOT place that isn't as small.

Is the community growing, shrinking, or staying the same?

Bussing/carpool situation - please describe?

Childcare - any babysitting options?

Any frum therapists in St. Louis?

How many kids are in Torah Prep? Average class size (not combining boys and girls)?

Torah Prep tuition average cost? Are breaks given or does everyone have to pay full price? I want to ensure we can afford the move there...

Anything else you think we might need to ask to help figure out if this could be our landing spot?

TIA!

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:11 pm
Saint Louis Park MN or MO?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:49 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Saint Louis Park MN or MO?

MO please.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:54 pm
You should edit your title.

[Subject edited - mod]

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:34 pm
I don’t live there but I’ll be traveling to Fenton MO next month and would appreciate if anyone can tell me where to purchase kosher food, is there a takeout with shabbes food?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:55 am
I lived there for a few years, but we didn't have kids so I can't help much on the school front. I'd say the community is relatively stable in terns of size. There are 6 orthodox shuls in University City (the larger frum community) and 1 in Chesterfield (smaller, closer to MTI but farther from both Torah Prep schools and Bais Yaakov). I do know families that do carpools for school at all of the schools (including Epstein, which is modox and Mirowitz which is not frum but is accomodating to some frum students). None of the schools have busses, though now that the girls' school moved, many houses in U City should be in walking distance of both Torah Prep buildings. The classes are small, though the younger classes seemed to be growing from what I've heard. There's a WhatsApp group for St Louis frum women that would be a good place to look for babysitters. I got asked to babysit often when I was single. There are a few solid play groups for young kids as well. And often frum teenage girls will do a camp for summer babysitting.

I really recommend visiting if you can. Sounds like you'd probably want to go to U City Shul or the Aguda in University City or to TICK in Chesterfield. The Aguda is a bit more Yeshivish than U City Shul, and U City Shul is a bit more family friendly/relaxed. I've never been to TICK, personally. But the families there send to both Torah Prep and Epstein. I'm pretty sure U City shul used to help arrange Shabbos hospitality, but don't know if they started again since Covid.

As far as food, Kohn's is pretty much your best bet for Shabbos. It's a deli/grocery store/bakery. They sometimes do Shabbos meal boxes which are usually pretty good. If not, I would call ahead. And they close fairly early on Friday (I think 1) so be sure to get there early even if you just run in and grab shnitzel and challah. The Schnucks grocery store at Ladue Crossings has a kosher bakery and has prepackaged sandwiches from Kohns. On Wednesday evenings and all day Thursday they also have kosher sushi and rotisserie chickens. Often they'll have cold chickens left on Friday morning. Gokul is and Indian restaurant that is very good. It's cholov stam and only take out last I was in St Louis (they closed their dining because of covid). They close on Tuesdays and do have some vegan options if you keep cholov yisroel but are okay with cholov stam equipment. A more complete list:
https://ovkosher.org/food/

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
I don’t live there but I’ll be traveling to Fenton MO next month and would appreciate if anyone can tell me where to purchase kosher food, is there a takeout with shabbes food?

We've gotten kosher food and basic takeout and baked goods from Kohn's when we were in St. Louis and were quite happy with the food and pricing.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:05 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I lived there for a few years, but we didn't have kids so I can't help much on the school front. I'd say the community is relatively stable in terns of size. There are 6 orthodox shuls in University City (the larger frum community) and 1 in Chesterfield (smaller, closer to MTI but farther from both Torah Prep schools and Bais Yaakov). I do know families that do carpools for school at all of the schools (including Epstein, which is modox and Mirowitz which is not frum but is accomodating to some frum students). None of the schools have busses, though now that the girls' school moved, many houses in U City should be in walking distance of both Torah Prep buildings. The classes are small, though the younger classes seemed to be growing from what I've heard. There's a WhatsApp group for St Louis frum women that would be a good place to look for babysitters. I got asked to babysit often when I was single. There are a few solid play groups for young kids as well. And often frum teenage girls will do a camp for summer babysitting.

I really recommend visiting if you can. Sounds like you'd probably want to go to U City Shul or the Aguda in University City or to TICK in Chesterfield. The Aguda is a bit more Yeshivish than U City Shul, and U City Shul is a bit more family friendly/relaxed. I've never been to TICK, personally. But the families there send to both Torah Prep and Epstein. I'm pretty sure U City shul used to help arrange Shabbos hospitality, but don't know if they started again since Covid.

As far as food, Kohn's is pretty much your best bet for Shabbos. It's a deli/grocery store/bakery. They sometimes do Shabbos meal boxes which are usually pretty good. If not, I would call ahead. And they close fairly early on Friday (I think 1) so be sure to get there early even if you just run in and grab shnitzel and challah. The Schnucks grocery store at Ladue Crossings has a kosher bakery and has prepackaged sandwiches from Kohns. On Wednesday evenings and all day Thursday they also have kosher sushi and rotisserie chickens. Often they'll have cold chickens left on Friday morning. Gokul is and Indian restaurant that is very good. It's cholov stam and only take out last I was in St Louis (they closed their dining because of covid). They close on Tuesdays and do have some vegan options if you keep cholov yisroel but are okay with cholov stam equipment. A more complete list:
https://ovkosher.org/food/

Thank you so much!

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:05 pm
doctorima wrote:
We've gotten kosher food and basic takeout and baked goods from Kohn's when we were in St. Louis and were quite happy with the food and pricing.

Thanks, going to reach out to them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating