Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
College son and therapy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:07 am
We have known for a long time that ds has OCD /scrupulosity. He has worked with a therapist off and on and it seemed it was under control. Last month ds came to us and told us he has found a new therapist and has not only been diagnosed with anxiety and related depression but also disassocitive identity disorder. I feel I have been sucker punched. My poor baby. He feels like he is unsure his existance is real. Sometimes he doesn't feel grounded like he is floating, or his body parts are not attached. He said there was a point where he felt what is the point of it all. He is now seeing the therapist twice a week and is on wellbutirn and lexapro. ( I am not sure these drugs are working, he seems crankier on the phone, but it could be the therapy- we have had other family members on luvox for OCD, that has worked great, but when he told the psychiatrist the doctor said that is old school medicine- not sure what that means if it work).

Therapist has told him he must take a moratorium from his gemarah learning because he has become so engrossed in Torah learning and has avoided interpersonal relationships. I just thought he liked learning was good at it. He has tons of friends. He is giving, and kind. calls his grandparents every week.

He says the therapist is helping bring up lots of things that he has bottled up. I worry she is messing with his head. She is a frum women and she spoke with DS's Rebbi and he is on board with the learning break.

Now DS has confided in me that he has questions about emunah and how do we know that torah shebal peh is real and what the rabbeim have said are based on real things.- oy! This boy not a month ago told me not only does he want to get smicha but wants to get yadin yadin.
I suggested he speak with his rebbi about these feelings, but he said that is a no go cuz he feels it may look badly upon him.

I just want to scoop this boy up and cry over him and apologize for whatever nature/nurture has caused this.

5 months ago he had started dating- that wisely has stopped, but his 2 best friends are getting married so add that to depression seeing your friends find their bashert while you know you need to figure this out before moving on.

Oy I am crying again.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:20 pm
Many hugs. It must be so much harder when he isn't home and you are dealing with this from far.
The emunah questions are typical of certain types of OCD. It's not the really him at all.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:41 pm
Is this a therapist who specializes in OCD? Has she spoken to his previous therapist?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 6:53 pm
It is common for people suffering with Ocd to have questions about emunah. I wish him a refuah shleima and you should have koach to endure this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics