Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Diet coke

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:22 pm
I always hear people saying diet soda is unhealthy. Can anyone explain why. It has zero sugar, calories or carbs in it.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:27 pm
It's simple: while diet soda doesn't contain real sugar or calories it does contain a lot of additives and artificial ingredients including sweeteners. These ingredients are full of unnatural chemicals that can cause your body to crave more high-calorie and sugar-laden foods

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:27 pm
It has additives and artificial sweeteners that are terrible for the body/gut. They cause all sorts of problems, way more than we even know.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:32 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
It's simple: while diet soda doesn't contain real sugar or calories it does contain a lot of additives and artificial ingredients including sweeteners. These ingredients are full of unnatural chemicals that can cause your body to crave more high-calorie and sugar-laden foods

I've been off sugar for a very long time and I never found that diet soda made me crave. Besides for that are there other reasons to avoid it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:36 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
It has additives and artificial sweeteners that are terrible for the body/gut. They cause all sorts of problems, way more than we even know.

Oy. I use xyletol for everything. How do I know if it is affecting me. I can't have sugar because of a condition I have (not diabetes)

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oy. I use xyletol for everything. How do I know if it is affecting me. I can't have sugar because of a condition I have (not diabetes)

It's been years and years since I drank a Diet Coke but pretty sure they still use aspartame, not xylitol.

Do your own research and decide if it's worth drinking. Like everything else in the world, there are opposing opinions. Many say aspartame is carcinogenic. (Can also cause headaches and other issues too). Ditto for the caramel coloring. Others claim that you can't possibly drink enough of the stuff to make a big impact on your health.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Xylitol is not in the same category as aspartame because it's derived from a natural source, as opposed to aspartame which is a chemical.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:35 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
Xylitol is not in the same category as aspartame because it's derived from a natural source, as opposed to aspartame which is a chemical.

Thanks for your reply 👍 good to know.😊

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:45 pm
Over 25 years ago I heard a segment on 60 minutes (radio CBS) which presented evidence that many rats that died in studies of aspartame weren't recorded and it was approved by the FDA (in 1983). The rats had brain cells that were destroyed. And here we go nearly 30 years later and they are finding the same results. I try never to drink diet soda - where I live it's a huge problem because they have started to add aspartame to many of the non-diet drinks.

Authors of a 2017 review concluded that aspartame may affect the immune system and, as a result, it may lead to oxidative stress and inflammation. Their findings suggested that aspartame could affect the cells of various body organs, including the brain, the heart, the liver, and the kidneys.[I]
The Truth About Aspartame Side Effects - Healthlinehttps://www.healthline.com › health › aspartame-side-effects

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:51 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Over 25 years ago I heard a segment on 60 minutes (radio CBS) which presented evidence that many rats that died in studies of aspartame weren't recorded and it was approved by the FDA (in 1983). The rats had brain cells that were destroyed. And here we go nearly 30 years later and they are finding the same results. I try never to drink diet soda - where I live it's a huge problem because they have started to add aspartame to many of the non-diet drinks.

Authors of a 2017 review concluded that aspartame may affect the immune system and, as a result, it may lead to oxidative stress and inflammation. Their findings suggested that aspartame could affect the cells of various body organs, including the brain, the heart, the liver, and the kidneys.[I]
The Truth About Aspartame Side Effects - Healthlinehttps://www.healthline.com › health › aspartame-side-effects
[quote]
😯
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise