Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Money left for kids - WWYD

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:04 am
When my mom was visiting last time she left a sum of money to use for wach of my kids.
We are pretty comfortable financially so I didn’t see a need to spend them so far.
They literally sit in my underwear drawer.

Now with this inflation I feel it would be smarter to spend them on SOMETHING rather than just let them sit there.

I wanted to take my kids to Israel on vacay but dh is reluctant because money. I have a choice to hold on to the money, or agree to pay for their tickets. Or would you keep rhe money till an emergency happens (but it will lose value)?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:07 am
I would put it in savings accounts for each kid to use as they wish when they are old enough to need their own spending money.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:08 am
How old are your kids? With inflation trip to Israel sounds great.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:20 am
Buy investment bonds.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:28 am
Inflation will eat savings. Maybe gold coins?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When my mom was visiting last time she left a sum of money to use for wach of my kids.
We are pretty comfortable financially so I didn’t see a need to spend them so far.
They literally sit in my underwear drawer.

Now with this inflation I feel it would be smarter to spend them on SOMETHING rather than just let them sit there.

I wanted to take my kids to Israel on vacay but dh is reluctant because money. I have a choice to hold on to the money, or agree to pay for their tickets. Or would you keep rhe money till an emergency happens (but it will lose value)?

Did your mother intend to leave this money ro be used by you however you chose. Like to start a saving fund or for emergencies (as you suggested) or did she intend for you to purchase something special for your kids in the near future?

If this was a "pre yerusha" and she doesn't care, you can do savings, etc. That might be a really great idea. Do you already have savings for them?

Israel trip you need to weigh against all these issues.

If you're worried about emergencies, take money from your own account and put it in your underwear drawer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:22 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Did your mother intend to leave this money ro be used by you however you chose. Like to start a saving fund or for emergencies (as you suggested) or did she intend for you to purchase something special for your kids in the near future?

If this was a "pre yerusha" and she doesn't care, you can do savings, etc. That might be a really great idea. Do you already have savings for them?

Israel trip you need to weigh against all these issues.

If you're worried about emergencies, take money from your own account and put it in your underwear drawer.

Something special. Or however needed for them.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:27 am
How old are the kids? Maybe discuss with them.

mastermom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:34 am
A trip to Israel sounds wonderful. Make sure to tell your kids that this is a gift from their grandmother!

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:41 am
I bought my first car with money from savings bonds that my parents gave to me when I was of age.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 11:47 am
If you have boys I would invest in a diamond for their future wife or something solid like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics