Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best way to buy a used car?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:16 pm
I'm looking to buy a used car but have no idea how to go about it.
Is it best to finance or to pay out cash?
Best to go with a dealer or if I can find one directly from car owner is that better?

Any and all info and advice would be so appreciated.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:45 pm
If you have the cash, definitely pay cash! Why would you want to pay interest?
I feel most comfortable going to a trustworthy dealer.

fraid06

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:59 pm
Paying with cash saves you in interest. But it's worth checking out financing options, if you go trough a dealer; sometimes you might get a better price (they have deals with the lenders).
Obviously only consider financing of you have a solid plan how you'll pay.

Buying from a private seller might be cheaper, but going to a dealer gives you the security of knowing if they're trustworthy and also they're usually better with helping you after the purchase of any trouble arises.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:02 pm
I bought on Craigslist in my well off oot community and I couldn't be more thrilled. I brought it to my mechanic first before buying who gave me the go ahead, was able to negotiate, and got a very very good deal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:32 pm
How do I know what's considered a good rate for a specific car?

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:43 pm
After trying Craigslist with no success and a bunch of scams we found ours on CarGuru

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:55 pm
You go to Edmunds.com and research what are good used cars to buy. They also have market prices for all models in various locations.

Consumer Reports has excellent data on used cars - which models to go - which years to get and which to avoid.

You should always have a used car checked out by an independent trust worthy mechanic. Also if you buy through a dealer many of them will sell verified ones that they guarantee for a certain period of time. You pay a bit more but get peace of mind.

Be prepared for sticker shock because the cost of used cars is extremely high. You can actually compare with the price for a new car and see if there is a big difference. People advise against buying a new car because it depreciates so much in the first year. However if you keep your cars for a long period of time the first year depreciation is meaningless and you get peace of mind knowing that the car was properly maintained and wasn't flooded, in an accident or otherwise will have problems.

Window

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 8:07 pm
I bought and sold cars on Facebook marketplace a few times.
First of all, dealers don’t necessarily guarantee the car to be problem free and don’t necessarily pay to fix it after the sale.
Second of all, shady car dealers is a real thing. lol. A car dealer isn’t necessarily more trustworthy than a guy on Facebook.
Also, going through a dealer makes it more expensive. Direct from seller to buyer is cheapest.
Usually you can tell if the guy is covering something up. If they’re telling you every detail of the cars maintenance, then they’re probably not making up such extravagant stories

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 2:20 pm
Has anyone used the plaza Honda dealership in Brooklyn for this? I think they have a shomer Shabbos sales group. Any experience with them or with a particular salesman?

AllThings

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 2:43 pm
Don't really know too much info about it but in Lakewood there's someone called the Car Shadchan who sets up people looking to buy and sell.

monseymom25

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 5:25 pm
If you buy a certified pre-owned car from the dealer you can often still use the original warranty for the number of years left.

libadmin

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:56 pm
We just used Lakewood auto sales across from evergreen and were very happy. Have them read you the car fax report based on the vin so you know it hasn’t been in accidents, maintained well and how many owners. Call before to see if they have a couple in stock of the make and model you want though they get in every day. We dealt with Avrami who was great to work with.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:06 pm
libadmin wrote:
We just used Lakewood auto sales across from evergreen and were very happy. Have them read you the car fax report based on the vin so you know it hasn’t been in accidents, maintained well and how many owners. Call before to see if they have a couple in stock of the make and model you want though they get in every day. We dealt with Avrami who was great to work with.

Thank you.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 1:00 pm
Has anyone bought through Yossi Cement in Brooklyn?

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Has anyone used the plaza Honda dealership in Brooklyn for this? I think they have a shomer Shabbos sales group. Any experience with them or with a particular salesman?

Yes. Unfortunately I have experience. They have snakes for salesmen and will try to rip you off badly.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 1:08 pm
I bought a Honda Pilot from Craigslist. Got an incredible deal. It was located 2 hours from us so I hired a mobile mechanic to check it out first. It's been going String for over 3 years so far bh....(and our local mechanic had wanted to sell us a used one same model same mileage for twice the price...)

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 4:16 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Yes. Unfortunately I have experience. They have snakes for salesmen and will try to rip you off badly.

Thank you!

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 6:18 pm
We’ve gotten cars on offer up and brought it to our mechanic. very good deals
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics