Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
London- my son wants to go swimming

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 1:59 am
He asked- Mum can we go to the beach today?
For the reference he grew up in Israel (we recently moved). He still thinks the beach is 15 minutes away. Haha.

We live in GG.

Well it’s really hot and a very long Friday today and I’d love to surprise him with a water anything activity. Sprinkler park, open swim, creek, anything….

If all else fails I might just take them to the “beach” in Brent cross.

Open to ideas! Thank you!

Also, anyone send to swimming lessons?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 2:47 am
I remember my mother used to go to the Ladies Pond. I think near Hampstead Heath? An outdoor pool. They probably have men's hours as well. Maybe someone more local can give you more detailed information.

Or you could try going to the Welsh Harp. I don't think it's safe for swimming, but you might be able to find somewhere to paddle, and it's nice just being by the water.

Last edited by Elfrida on Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 2:55 am
Here, I found a link for the Men's Pond.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.u.....-pond

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:15 am
Hampstead heath has a mens swimming pond and a ladies pond, but you have to prebook.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:27 am
How old is your ds? I don't think the hampstead ponds are for little kids.

For kids near gg there's parliament hill paddling pool, it's a playground and a shallow pool which is quite big, I'm not sure it's open yet though. Finchley lido has an outdoor pool, you'd need to book and pay. And the new park behind tesco has some water play but not very wet. There's also sprinkler parks but none very near to gg, I'm not sure how far you want to drive. Also you'd have to check each one to see if they're open.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:47 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
How old is your ds? I don't think the hampstead ponds are for little kids.

For kids near gg there's parliament hill paddling pool, it's a playground and a shallow pool which is quite big, I'm not sure it's open yet though. Finchley lido has an outdoor pool, you'd need to book and pay. And the new park behind tesco has some water play but not very wet. There's also sprinkler parks but none very near to gg, I'm not sure how far you want to drive. Also you'd have to check each one to see if they're open.

My son is young. I need to be there with him.

I went last week to parliament hill. Besides for not being open there was no parking.

What’s the new park behind tesco? Sounds nice!

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son is young. I need to be there with him.

I went last week to parliament hill. Besides for not being open there was no parking.

What’s the new park behind tesco? Sounds nice!

Yes the parking there is a nightmare. Can't believe it isn't open yet, it's ridiculous it takes so long to open every year.

So the roundabout after tesco turn left, then right and drive about a min. There are 2 parks right next to each other, 1 opened just last week, and there's a small water play. I think it's called Claremont Park. If you google brent cross town you should find it. It's more like pumping water and watching it travel down the hill. My 1 yr old got his hands and face wet, my older kids didn't really bother with it. If your son wants a beach or pool I don't think this will really cut it for him lol but if your desperate! You can park on all the streets nearby there. As far as parks go though they are both great parks.

Try finchley lido that's a proper pool. If your OK to drive a bit further, in Watford there's cassiobury park, there's a paddling pool / sprinklers, lots of fun. There's a carpark but on hot days it fills up really fast. I'm trying to think if there's anything nearer but I'm coming up blank. I'd actually love to take my kids somewhere too.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:36 am
https://www.somersethouse.org......visit

Not swimming, but outdoor sprinkler fountains. Schleppy journey though!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:16 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Yes the parking there is a nightmare. Can't believe it isn't open yet, it's ridiculous it takes so long to open every year.

So the roundabout after tesco turn left, then right and drive about a min. There are 2 parks right next to each other, 1 opened just last week, and there's a small water play. I think it's called Claremont Park. If you google brent cross town you should find it. It's more like pumping water and watching it travel down the hill. My 1 yr old got his hands and face wet, my older kids didn't really bother with it. If your son wants a beach or pool I don't think this will really cut it for him lol but if your desperate! You can park on all the streets nearby there. As far as parks go though they are both great parks.

Try finchley lido that's a proper pool. If your OK to drive a bit further, in Watford there's cassiobury park, there's a paddling pool / sprinklers, lots of fun. There's a carpark but on hot days it fills up really fast. I'm trying to think if there's anything nearer but I'm coming up blank. I'd actually love to take my kids somewhere too.

Cool. Just saw that park. Maybe we’ll go next week. I heard about watford but I just can’t go so far in my own, trying to get a friend to come with…

Thanks so much! I think we’ll just go to Brent cross.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:28 am
What’s in Brent cross?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:33 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
What’s in Brent cross?

The “beach” they have by the fun fair. At least it was there last time I went.

Edit- never mind!! It’s not open today Banging head

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 6:22 am
So annoying.

Your best bet might be just putting up a paddling pool or sprinkler in your garden.

It's my dream to live near a beach

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 10:38 am
Update: we went to King George sprinkler park and the kids had a great time! Was far but there’s plenty of parking and easy to get there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 12:05 pm
Hi bumping this again. We went to the new park as well and my kids loved it.

Looking for ideas to take kids on long Friday afternoons and Sundays about 15 mins max from GG.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:54 pm
barking splash park

book online.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:50 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
barking splash park

book online.

Looks fun! Thank you! How far is it?

We’ve been enjoying the new Claremont park lately. Very little water but enough for my kids!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:59 pm
Stanborough lakes splash park. About 30 min from gg but easy drive and easy parking. Bigger than king george and the play area and splash park is all in one enclosed place so easy to keep track of kids. Opposite the splashpark there is a large shallow stream kids can go in.
There's also a lake with different boating options.
There's also a go ape type thing, if your kids are into that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics