Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Summer activities for bi-polar teenager

daisymae

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 8:56 pm
My 14-year-old niece is bipolar and the summer is coming. My sister is at a loss as to how to keep her occupied. In the past she's gone to a regular day camp and managed fairly well but is now too old. She really isn't up for a CIT or jr. counselor job and money is tight, so sleep-away camp is out (we're not even sure it would be a good idea even if she wanted to go and money wasn't tight). Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:11 pm
perhaps she could tutor someone else in science and earn some moolah?
she could be an activity counselor rather than a cit. volunteer at the library?

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 3:39 am
Volunteering or a part time job?

daisymae

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:13 am
Thanks for your suggestions. The library sounds like a possibility. A part-time job would be even better, but doing what? I don't see her as a tutor -she doesn't have the personality for it. (also has some issues in addition to the bipolar). Ditto for as a specialty counselor.

Hmm. . .

thanks for the feedback, I think I'm starting to think more creatively.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:21 am
find out about a place called camp extreme ... she may fit the criteria for going ... and have ways to grow at the same time ... I do not think a 14 year old with bi-polar necessarily should be in the work force ...

good luck !!!

http://www.projectextreme.org/about.asp

momof6

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 11:03 am
This may be obvious, but many bi-polar young adults can function just as well as their typical peers with medication and counseling. I assume she is getting the help she needs.
If she can leave home try Bais Chana in Minnesotta. They have scolarships available.

daisymae

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 11:54 pm
momof6 wrote:
This may be obvious, but many bi-polar young adults can function just as well as their typical peers with medication and counseling. I assume she is getting the help she needs.
If she can leave home try Bais Chana in Minnesotta. They have scolarships available.

She is getting both kinds of help, but she's still kind of complicated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries