Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Canteen Money @ Camp-How Much Is "Normal"?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:09 am
Just wondering whats the average norm amount per week/month per kid... I want to discuss a budget w my kids and just want to come with confidence without getting carried away and triggered by their drama etc...

Is $50 a half for total in camp spending decent?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:14 am
$70

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:16 am
That's a very nice amount. I know inflation and all but that can purchase an item every single day that costs over $1.

You have to realize there will always be a kid with an unlimited fund who can buy lots of stuff and be the cool kid. There will always be the child with only $10 for the entire month.

You should discuss budget with your child.

I was canteen manager one year in a camp where the canteen was my entire responsibility ie I made all the money and even rented the trailer from camp. So I ran it like a business. There were kids who tried buying snacks for each other or even for the staffs cute little kids. I had to make some very firm announcements that "food does not buy friends".

Then there was a little girl who got her balance refilled on visiting day and a week later had almost finished it. When I told her she burst into tears. I told her that it's okay, this is a good way for her to learn how to spend money. Her parents want her to spend the money on nosh etc but she can't keep buying $5 worth each day. I showed her on the price list what she can order so either $1 every second day, or an item under 50c each day, whatever.

I famously once took $10 to camp for two months and came home with $9 and change of it. The only thing I bought was a green cornflakes klik bag lol.

Canteen is a great way to discuss budget and social standing and savings etc. Regardless of much money other kids seem to have or to spend. And a great way for kids to actually practice those skills.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:23 am
This probably varies a lot by gender, age, and camp. Last summer DS was 13 and went for the first time to sleepaway camp. I emailed to ask the camp, and they said the recommended range for a half is $50-$100. If you can swing $75 your kids will probably feel more in the midrange of what their friends have. Or you could send them with $50 and add $25 on visiting day as a treat.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:30 am
IMO, $10 weekly should be fine. Thats a dollar a day, plus some extra for shabbos. Unless your kid is the type to buy $3 ice cream bars daily. Or if they're picky and don't eat regular meals and then fill up on junk food instead.
When I was in camp I brought along a bin of snacks which my parents refilled visiting day. I only used the canteen for frozen treats and didn't buy every day, so I probably used under $20 each half.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:38 am
You need to check with the camp and see what the plan and price point is. If they have canteen 2x / day, and items really start at $1.50, with ice cream being $3 and burgers being $5 you can’t expect to send $25 for the month. If it is 2x per week, with items starting $0.50 you can teach your kid budgeting.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:46 am
Im giving each of my kids $150.
100 for canteen and 50 for spending money when they go on trips.

Hope its enough if not then we will give them more on visiting day..

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:47 am
The water was horrible in my daughter's camp and everyone bought water through the camp so 3-4 cases on just water bottles $30. Some teenage camps they offer sushi once a week. Yogibar ices $2.50. Basically, it depends on her age. When I was in camp, I probably didnt spend even $20. But times have changed and my daughter will probably need at least $75-100 to treat herself here and there. She is going into 9th grade.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:48 am
It really depends on the kid.

I used to send $50 and most wasn't used. I now send $30 and despite having sent multiple kids to camp multiple times only one child ever used it all.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:50 am
I would say at minimum $100 per half

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:15 am
I send $50 per half. But also send enough water so doesn’t need to buy water.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:28 am
I send $50 (for one half) and tell my kids I will replenish it midway if they need me to. I also tell them whatever they don’t spend of it is theirs to do as they please with and most of my kids don’t use the full $50

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:33 am
We sent DS with 100 for half summer.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:44 am
My father used to send me with $100 and tell me that whatever I brought home he would double for me and put in my savings account. This can work with any amount of money.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 6:04 am
We send $40 I think (should confirm with my husband) of parental money and allow our kids to pad it with their own.
For my boys, my husband would send each week an extra amount for brushing teeth ($1 for each time they brushed, maxed at twice a day). BH those days are over though as they never live at home and they're pretty much reliable now that they are older to take care of hygiene 😉

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:07 am
My daughter brought back most of the money I gave her because she said they were only allowed to go to the canteen after meals but the walk was too far and then she would get in trouble for being late to the next activity. She also said the line was so long that it just wasn’t worth it. I plan on sending money again this year but I doubt it will be any different. She only went twice. Once she waited in line for 1/2 hour and thrn couldn’t find her bunk afterwards and the next time she again waited for so long but it was the end of the summer and they were out of almost everything.

mizle10

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:41 am
My DD's camp recommends $65 for half a summer.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:23 pm
mizle10 wrote:
My DD's camp recommends $65 for half a summer.

Sounds about right. I checked what we sent into canteen last year for my daughter and it was $68. But some of that was her own money.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:53 pm
Wow have times changed. I probably got about $10 from grandparents before going to camp and nothing from parents. The camp provides 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks; what on earth do they need so much canteen money for.
I'm already old fashioned.....and I'm only 25🙈

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:17 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Wow have times changed. I probably got about $10 from grandparents before going to camp and nothing from parents. The camp provides 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks; what on earth do they need so much canteen money for.
I'm already old fashioned.....and I'm only 25🙈

I got no canteen money when I went to camp because my parents said I bought too much nosh so I don’t need to buy anything. I got one package that first year that contained my vitamins 😐 and a letter asking me if I really needed all that nosh.
I’m happy to send money with my kids for canteen even though they bring up lots of nosh and I send great packages too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps