Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do people in Brooklyn do who can’t afford Daycamp?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 1:23 pm
I guess this question is geared more to boys because I think girls could probably get away without daycamp, boys need more learning. I already asked for a break. Even with a break I don’t have an extra dollar but I was still curious if they would give a break, they said no. Is there anyone else in the situation who has boys not old enough to get jobs yet but daycamp in the city is so expensive?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 1:44 pm
My friend told me there's some sort fund that once helped her. Not sure if it's too late in the season.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:29 am
To answer your op, we pay anyway. Or borrow etc... Banging head

bobeli

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:30 am
There are some camp funds.
I will try a different camp because some give a discount and direct you to funds.
Sometimes the yeshiva helps

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:52 am
DH and his siblings never went to daycamp (in Monsey). They went to yeshivish schools. Two of his brothers learned in yeshiva for many years. It isn't necessary for anyone, especially if it isn't financially possible.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:00 am
One idea is to contact the Flatbush Community Fund. Maybe they'll help you. I know it's not like a wedding or a broken boiler, but camp has become a basic necessity.

A lot of people who can't afford camp try to find a way to work in the camp. That only works if you don't work in the summer, like a teacher. But that's what some people do.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:16 am
For most boys above a certain age who live in Brooklyn, day camp is pikuach nefesh. No structure for 10 weeks is extremely dangerous. I suggest reaching out to community organizations like Flatbush Community Fund and COJO of both BP and Flatbush. BTDT, if necessary, we’d borrow, just like we would for any other urgent need.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:36 am
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
To answer your op, we pay anyway. Or borrow etc... Banging head

Same

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:11 am
I'm not in Brooklyn, but when my son was too young to work in a camp, I paid a small camp to take him as a worker. IOW, they made a fake assistant position for him and I paid them his "salary" of $50 a week. A ton cheaper than actually sending him to camp obviously (and the money came straight back to us through his paycheck), he got to be in a camp/structured environment all day, got to join the trips and use the pool, and it gave him work experience so the next year he actually got a job in a different camp and they paid him for real. He was 11 years old at the time. It was a smaller type camp meant only for younger boys. I reached out to them and they were willing to accommodate. It did also give them an extra set of hands, I think he was an asset not a burden. Maybe you can look for an option like that.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:55 pm
This is directed to the Stay at Home Mommy... Summer is a perfect opportunity to reconnect with your child and really get to know your kids. For ten moths of the year kids spend an inordinate amount of their waking hours in school. Summer vacation is the perfect opportunity to create happy family memories.

BE with your kids.
Camp Mommy!
Create a daily schedule that leaves time for davening, torah learning and good old fashioned fun!
I'm assuming you live in NYC... there are so many wonderful things you can do for FREE with your kids.

I am a teacher and every year I gift the parents with a list of my Top 100 Ideas for Summer Fun that are FREE or very minimal cost. Why not use this opportunity to develop a strong family bond. Nothing in this world happens by "accident"... HASHEM runs the show and Hashem has given you the gift of TIME... use it wisely.

Consider yourself lucky.
Happy Summer!!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:03 pm
How old is your son?
There is someone who runs a learning program in Flatbush from 10-12:30. That at least covers the morning.
Until this year, my boys didn’t want to go to camp even though I could afford it. This year I was able to convince them to go for one month. What I’ll do the second month is still undecided but we’ll probably do the learning program and they have cousins coming in from Israel so that’ll help. My job is flexible so I can make it work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics