Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Canteen Money @ Camp-How Much Is "Normal"?
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:20 pm
My DD takes up a ton of snacks from home. I think I sent her with $50 last year and she brought money back. She's not such a big canteen spender, plus apparently going to canteen can be a pain (when there's other stuff going on) and she hardly went. CBY.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:23 pm
As others have said, it really will depend on a combination of the cost of items; what kind of items and what your kid likes.

I think to some extent canteen would also be a form of social bonding in terms of going there with friends to pick out something.

Wouldn't it make sense to send snacks they like that don't need refrigeration - whatever they like as many items like pretzels, chips, granola bars are individually packaged or there are large containers of M&M or the equivalent. Then canteen money can be used for perishable stuff and cold items.

I would imagine a lot of water at camps tastes terrible so why not have a case or so shipped from amazon or the equivalent.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:30 pm
My daughters' camp doesn't allow packages 🤔
My sons were told to not bring cases of water and only buy from the canteen...

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My daughters' camp doesn't allow packages 🤔
My sons were told to not bring cases of water and only buy from the canteen...

Wow - no care packages and they can't bring bottled water?

Since bottled water represents no issues in terms of attracting pests, they must be relying on the profit from the bottled water. The individual size bottles can be quite inexpensive if bought at a place like Costco and even larger size bottles can be poured into your kid's water bottle and the remaining water in the larger bottle would be fine - I.e. not go bad if not refrigerated

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:35 pm
My boys are in romimu. We order water from the camp office and they deliver it to your bunk. Then once summer has started the kids order it themselves when they’re done. The money comes out of their canteen account. They probably spend $70-$80 a half or so. This concept is completely foreign to me, when I went to camp I didn’t get anything much to spend, but I got used to the idea, and let them Be and enjoy.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:49 pm
Our camp also doesn’t allow packages. I think so it’s so smart.
We can order water from camp in advance. Price wasn’t crazy.
You can send water under bus or on own transportation. They say not to but many ppl do. They don’t let with luggage bec if it bursts it ruins all the luggage it spills on.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 2:33 pm
$25-50 a half
camp is a place where you learn to do laundry, budgeting and self care. Self independence.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:24 pm
Thanks! This is def giving me some food for thought pun unintended.

I forgot about the laundry expense!!!

Also, for water deliveries to camp (our camp also has issue w taste) we sent via instacart. It was there within hrs
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps