Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I barely learn what's in style before the next one comes in

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:53 pm
Pleats were in style for a while and now after buying a few pleated skirts, are pleats out and tiered skirts in?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 6:03 pm
I never get the handbook either…
I’m pretty sure pleats are still in

English3

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:22 pm
Pleats are definitely in this year and so are tiered. I am sure you look great.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:58 pm
Me too. So what? My neighbors like me anyway.

Oh year, and I live in Lakewood.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:59 pm
Yeah same. But I think pleats are still in

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:57 pm
This is why I don't chase trends. If I like it, I wear it. The crimped hair is in. Instead of getting my sheitel crimped I bought a synthetic that I wear for fun. In a year it won't be pupular.. Nothing lasts. I can't wait for headbands to go.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:26 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
This is why I don't chase trends. If I like it, I wear it. The crimped hair is in. Instead of getting my sheitel crimped I bought a synthetic that I wear for fun. In a year it won't be pupular.. Nothing lasts. I can't wait for headbands to go.

Headbands?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:37 am
I think pleated is more popular in the winter and tiered is more of an easy, casual summer look.

But they are both in now.

imaima

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pleats were in style for a while and now after buying a few pleated skirts, are pleats out and tiered skirts in?

Don’t worry
I mostly wear pleats now and am planning to do that. I just like pleats.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:53 am
pleats are more flattering for my ahem larger figure, whilst I find the tiered just makes me look bigger. But tbh I often just wear a pencil skirt as that looks best on me.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:51 pm
These trends are silly IMO If you love pleats, wear them!

I never got off the pencil skirt bandwagon. I look best in pencil skirts, why get anything else? I didn't even know pleats came in style or out.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:57 pm
gootlfriends wrote:

Can you post a link to the crimped synthetic please?

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:07 pm
I’m so glad that I am too old to need to follow trends.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:50 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
I’m so glad that I am too old to need to follow trends.

How old are you? I just turned 50 but I have elementary and high school aged kids so I try to keep up for them… if I lived on an island all alone I would for sure look different! Just got a comment about my shaitel from one of my DD’s… gosh! It was $2,800- most I ever spent! I just can’t get it right..

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:01 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
pleats are more flattering for my ahem larger figure, whilst I find the tiered just makes me look bigger. But tbh I often just wear a pencil skirt as that looks best on me.

Must be a body shape thing (or because I'm short?). I'm very bottom heavy and look terrible in pleats and great in tiered skirts. I look the worst in pencil skirts so BH for that.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:00 pm
You're a fashion slave, OP. Why not quit worrying about what the mishegass du jour is and wear things that you like and that look good on you? You'll find it infinitely liberating and far more flattering. To wear something unflattering just because it's in every store along 13th Avenue in Brooklyn is, you should excuse the expression, just plain STOOPID.

Certain styles are classic: their popularity waxes and wanes but they're never completely out (except among fashion slaves) the way hoopskirts, hennins (look it up, it has nothing to do with henna) and chastity belts are out. Pleats, like penny loafers, pearl studs, and Mary Janes, are a classic and are never truly out even when they're not the current rage.

Hippier women can often successfully wear pleats provided they're stitched down at least to the hipline; free pleats, whether box style or knife, are better for less curvy bodies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:05 pm
I look better in pencil skirts also but I thought they were out because I don't see people wearing them.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I look better in pencil skirts also but I thought they were out because I don't see people wearing them.

They may be. Which doesn't mean you should throw yours out and rush off to buy whatever the fashion arbiters are p%imping out this week. If pencil skirts make you look and feel like a million dollars, go ahead and wear them. The only people who will know or care that you're wearing last year's skirts are other fashion slaves: people who have so little confidence in their own taste that they run off to buy whatever is hot off the runway whether it suits them or not. FTR, one can be a fashion slave, aka fashion victim, regardless of one's financial situation. You can't buy good taste, though you can hire someone with good taste to make your choices for you.

Women with a true sense of style wear only that which flatters them. You're better off looking smashing in last year's outfit than looking like a sack of potatoes dressed in the very latest.

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:52 am
https://www.saksfifthavenue.co.....skirt
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics