Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School decision . Upper elementary lkwd

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:09 am
Asking for a friend that doesn't have internet access. They are moving from out of town to Jackson. Her dd is a pretty average girl. She's going into an older grade , maybe 5th. She told me she knows people that work in bnos hadassah and bnos bracha that can get her in to either school. I am not from lkwd so I don't know schools, and she doesn't have anyone there to ask other then trust the ppl that work in the schools. I have read some threads on here about bnos bracha but haven't found out about bnos hadassah. She said she wants to focus on one school and not make both of the teachers crazy so which should she focus on. Her questions are . Which is better run? Better academics ? She's sure she can get into either one. Thanks

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:12 am
Add Lakewood to your title so that the right people open it. It’s too vague now

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:20 am
They both have different clientle, Bnos Brocha is litvish american, simple frum working crowd and bnos hadassa I dont know much about besides that its more heimish/chassidish.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:25 am
Bnos brocha has a name of being lower academic.
Personally although I did not end up sending, I don't believe the girls really know much less. It's that they focus more on skill which is wonderful.
But she may be bothered by that reputation. Both excellent schools, and wonderful students. Bnos Hadassah definitely more heimish crowd as above poster mentioned.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:27 am
What makes them lower academic ?
She is heimish so the clientele wouldn't be an issue. Will she feel comfortable in bnos bracha if she is heimish ? They are from out of town so not typical brooklyn type.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:28 am
Sounds like bnos brocha is good for them … unless they are chassidish

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:44 am
They are not chassidish but heimish. I don't think the type bothered her as much as which is a better school. She's used to all types because she's from out of town. Her dh wears a shtreimel but it never got in the way of anything.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:49 am
Bnoa Bracha has plenty of heimish students. But I think Bnos Bracha has larger class sizes in the older grades. Which to me is a drawback. Other than that they are both nice schools.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are not chassidish but heimish. I don't think the type bothered her as much as which is a better school. She's used to all types because she's from out of town. Her dh wears a shtreimel but it never got in the way of anything.

Oh, so they would fit in to bnos hadassa then

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:40 am
Honestly the only way to know which makes more sense for her is to visit them
They are both wonderful schools and both would fit a heimish girl. But there are so many nuances that make these schools so different that only the person trying to decide can make that decision by seeing them up close for themselves.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:40 am
Ok I'm not really sure what to tell her based on the answers here. I'll let her know bnos hadassah is more heimish but I don't think she cared about types as much as which is better school. I'll give her all the info and she'll make decision. Thanks

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I'm not really sure what to tell her based on the answers here. I'll let her know bnos hadassah is more heimish but I don't think she cared about types as much as which is better school. I'll give her all the info and she'll make decision. Thanks

She might not care about “types” but in lakewood the schools are all about types. Most people try to get into a school that is their “type”. It could be uncomfortable if a father is the only one wearing a streimel or the only one not wearing…
The reason why there are so many schools here is because there are so many types.
Sounds like these people could also go to Bais tova or maybe even Bais Faiga but I think they really have to figure out what they want. All the schools aside for maybe one or two are good. It just has to be a good fit.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:32 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
She might not care about “types” but in lakewood the schools are all about types. Most people try to get into a school that is their “type”. It could be uncomfortable if a father is the only one wearing a streimel or the only one not wearing…
The reason why there are so many schools here is because there are so many types.
Sounds like these people could also go to Bais tova or maybe even Bais Faiga but I think they really have to figure out what they want. All the schools aside for maybe one or two are good. It just has to be a good fit.

There are so many schools because there are so many people, not because it's about types. And nowadays most schools are pretty mixed they blend together.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:36 am
If she can get into bnos hadassa , she should send there.

Officially its known as a more exclusive school.
As opposed to Bnos Bracha that takes everyone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:42 am
Is bnos bracha a community school? If so she should fit in with her type

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:44 am
Yes bnos bracha is basically the community school, not that everyone automatically gets in, but it's very mixed and easier to get in

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:48 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
If she can get into bnos hadassa , she should send there.

Officially its known as a more exclusive school.
As opposed to Bnos Bracha that takes everyone.

Can someone explain this? She should choose a school because it's more 'exclusive'? I can understand choosing a brand name pocketbook- why is this a factor when it comes to schools? What even makes a school become 'exclusive', and why would you send your daughters there?

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is bnos bracha a community school? If so she should fit in with her type
She would definitely fit into bnos Bracha.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:08 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
There are so many schools because there are so many people, not because it's about types. And nowadays most schools are pretty mixed they blend together.

Yes, there is a blend too..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics