Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What is going to be with her??! re baby not walking
Previous  1  2

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:57 pm
Babies aren't lazy, what a terrible thing to say.

My baby was delayed in every single milestone. She was so quiet and took a while to do each thing. She finally started walking at 21 months. So far she is doing each thing but late- she seems to follow the trajectory just later. She sat late, crawled late, stood late and walked late.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:00 pm
It is within the range of normal to walk late. It is also within the range of normal for babies to cry during therapy.

If she is not moving at all that's concerning.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:08 pm
I’m a PT and it’s concerning that she doesn’t bear weight on her arms or legs. You should take her to private PT if you can.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:10 pm
Hi, OT here! I've seen this with both relatives and clients. You need to get her PT even if it means going through insurance instead of EI (or even paying private). OT once a week will not make any difference. You don't need to start with craniosacral if you never even got PT (not blaming you) when this is clearly a PT problem. If you do many sessions of PT with no improvement THEN go to orthopedist (not neurologist) and then you can try any alternative.

Marathon

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:18 pm
I am not a PT but I have a lot of experience with this. My baby walked at 2 I got her tons and tons of therapy and so I understand how the muscles work and what needs to be strengthened. Pm me if you want me to give you tips for at home exercises

And don't listen to anyone saying anything about a neurologist. Your baby is going to be FINE!!

Last edited by Marathon on Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:19 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Hi, OT here! I've seen this with both relatives and clients. You need to get her PT even if it means going through insurance instead of EI (or even paying private). OT once a week will not make any difference. You don't need to start with craniosacral if you never even got PT (not blaming you) when this is clearly a PT problem. If you do many sessions of PT with no improvement THEN go to orthopedist (not neurologist) and then you can try any alternative.

I'm curious why you recommend waiting to try craniosacral therapy/other alternatives after everything else doesn't work. Is there a reason not to do it alongside ot/pt as a complementary treatment?

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:47 pm
My son was like this. Only bopped around on his behind and I had him evaluated by EI. Also was delayed in expressive speech. Everyone around me had opinions about him, which is the most annoying part. He had DI and PT through EI and started walking around 20-21 months. He’s now 6 and wish he would stop running and climbing on everything. He does great in school BH.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:56 pm
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
I'm curious why you recommend waiting to try craniosacral therapy/other alternatives after everything else doesn't work. Is there a reason not to do it alongside ot/pt as a complementary treatment?

I don’t think she was saying there’s anything wrong with it. But it’s ridiculous to be busy with those BEFORE getting the PT piece worked out.

Op my daughter wasn’t walking at 16 months due to low muscle tone. She hated PT but walked about a month after starting with it and it’s helped her be ahead of milestones and function in playgroup etc (she’s still pretty clumsy, needs Orthodics and I can see how much PT helps her, it’s also a good stepping stone to build strength for fine motor in the future). I paid privately because the waiting list for EI was crazy.

I’m in Monsey. If it’s relevant I can PM info for a well priced incredible PT.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:14 pm
I feel like those who move around in this position do usually end up walking later.
I know my mother had this with my sister, and in those days it was more accepted just to let things play out, she didn't take her to therapy or anything.
I believe she ended up walking close to age two.
And developed perfectly fine after that.

(I'm not saying you shouldn't go for help. Just posting another angle after all the scares you've received here.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics