Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Which of these staff members would you give gifts too?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 4:10 am
This is a special education preschool so lots of staff. I'm trying to figure out how many gifts I need to give!

Teacher
Secondary teacher
Two assistants
Substitute/assistant teacher--I'm actually not exactly sure what her job is but she is there most days

I'm assuming I should for sure I should give these five who are there most days taking care of the kids. (I don't actually begin to the understand the system of how there are so many of them and how the work is divided.)

Then there is also a speech therapist and an occupational therapist--they each meet with each student once a week. I don't know for sure but I think they each basically spend one morning a week in the school working with kids either one on one or in groups, and then go to other schools on other days.

There's also an art therapist and a "music and movement" type teacher--I am not sure if these come once a week or once every two weeks or for how long or how involved they are with any individual kid.

Would you give just the five actual teachers? Or also the therapists? Help.

I started trying to see if other parents in the group want to join together for group gifts, but with so many staff members, I think it will fall apart over disagreements of how much money to give--if people just give the amount of money they would normally give when there are just one or two teachers, it doesn't add up to enough to give something nice to so many. And it's a small class too... I would be willing to give a lot because I think the staff is amazing (and I am spending less on gift for my other kids' teachers who are in regular schools with fewer staff and more kids) but not everyone else is.

But on my own I'm overwhelmed at the thought of trying to give nice gifts to 9 people, or maybe more that I'm not even aware of!

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 4:35 am
What about adding something nice to the staff lounge so everyone can feel your appreciation when they enjoy it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 4:47 am
I feel like I did that for Purim but now I am out of ideas and feel like I need to bite the bullet and give individuals… plus the school year is over so at this point I don’t think the therapists etc would get a chance to enjoy…

Or do you mean something permanent? Like what?

In any case I believe much of the staff changes from year to year so many would not be back next year…

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:25 am
I worked in a setting like that,, so I know what you're talking about... I'd give the classroom staff that works directly with the child. I'd that's all 5 then all 5. I wouldn'tgive a different child's 1-1 aide if there is any, because they don'tworkwithyour child. But teacher, Assistant, etc, yes. Also the related service providers, which in your case is OT and PT. The specialties, I'd probably skip. They don't work directly with the child and not seeing the child on a regular basis. It's usually a group thing once a week or twice a month.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:28 am
7 gifts you don't need to include the extra therapists

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:52 pm
I would give individual gifts for those working directly with your child, then a communal something to share for the rest of the staff.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:02 pm
I gave:
all Moros including assistants.
Subs didn't get.
Secretaries all got.
Car pool person
Therapist also get
I bought in the past motivational bottles (I ordered from Amazon and delivered to Moros houses directly, umbrellas, chocolate, perfumes/body lotions, pen and pad of paper, gift cards at Amazon. Or even cash.)
Main thing is the note that's what counts. You can buy something in dollar tree. It's the thought that counts.
I'd spend $5-20 per person.
I bribe them Rosh Hashanah/tu bshvat, chanukah, purim and end of year.

Thanks to all the Williamsburg /Boro Park mommies who trained me well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:05 pm
Thanks all!

So the thing with the extra assistants is that I don't know exactly who they are or why they're there. I think they are there for particular kids, but it's not obvious at all. I'm pretty sure they help with all of them--like sometimes that's who greets my kid at the door.

Okay makes sense to give the speech therapist and the OT but not the music/art--I think that's what I did last year but was doubting myself after seeing a list someone else wrote.

Amother Outerspace (wow, amazing colors here!): was it in Israel that you worked in a school like that? Maybe someone here can tell me what a מתגברת is? Very Happy

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:07 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
I worked in a setting like that,, so I know what you're talking about... I'd give the classroom staff that works directly with the child. I'd that's all 5 then all 5. I wouldn'tgive a different child's 1-1 aide if there is any, because they don'tworkwithyour child. But teacher, Assistant, etc, yes. Also the related service providers, which in your case is OT and PT. The specialties, I'd probably skip. They don't work directly with the child and not seeing the child on a regular basis. It's usually a group thing once a week or twice a month.

A teacher works harder and also gets underpaid. A therapist gets paid nicely and deals with the kid once a week. I definitely would give a therapist if I saw improvement.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:40 pm
I had the same question regarding assistants in my kids preschool. So I asked the principal Very Happy

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:33 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
A teacher works harder and also gets underpaid. A therapist gets paid nicely and deals with the kid once a week. I definitely would give a therapist if I saw improvement.

About to derail. Where I work the teachers get paid more than therapists. Don't gift based on salaries, but based on appreciation and who works with your child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics