Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Will I lose weight like this?
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:27 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
You're asking what happened after that, and yes, of course when you go back to eating a higher calorie diet again the weight creeps back. But I know you lost weight eating keto. It's no different. if you went back to eating carbs like before you'd gain it back too. That's the thing. Whatever anyone does to get success, there is no going back. It has to be lifestyle change, not a diet. That's why it doesn't really matter which method you pick so long as it's the one you can stick with for the long haul. And while eating lower calorie that one would like to forever isn't so easy, for most people it's a lot more doable than giving up entire food groups forever.

Actually it’s just that our bodies defend the higher weights period. It’s for sure helped by behaviour but what no one seems to realize is that our bodies mess us up. Even I can regain weight eating no carbs. It doesn’t really matter how you do the weightloss. Even bariatric surgery they tell you to expect regain. The number of people who can keep weight off is tiny statistically. The professional folks don’t bother telling you that.

My personal preference is low carb for many reasons but that doesn’t mean I’m immune. It can happen any time that my body will decide it’s scared I’m starving myself to death ( because I do eat way less than I did before and that’s how it works)

The problem is sincerely that even ‘professionals’ don’t always work from current evidence and the most recent evidence basically says that no matter what you do, you’re going to regain. It’s statistically preferential to not gain weight or to get as healthy as you can be at the weight you are.

Personally I’m
Lazy and since I’ve never been able to stay on a plan until I decided not to deviate from what I was doing, I’m staying put. Please not I told op to figure out what works for her and then keep tweaking. I say over and over here that whatever you do has to be sustainable.

Period. Low calorie is not sustainable.

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I eat too much starch. I love almost anything that is either mezonos or hamotzie. Danishes, cereal, pasta, challah, pizza, bagels etc are my go to foods. When I opt for healthier it’s oatmeal or sweet potatoes but the main thing is that it’s starch. It goes without saying that I’m not thin.
I’m ready to cut out starch but I’m not ready to give up sugar and fat. That means that I’m saying no to pastries and pizza but I’ll still eat ice cream and cheese. I’ll give up my pasta but I’ll still eat salad with full fat dressing and yogurts too. I’ll be able to have a milkshake and a cheesy omelette.
Will I loose like this? What do you think?

You will probably lose weight yes, but you'll gain it all back too, because as Andrea Levy said above, it has to be sustainable.

Cutting out starch from now until the rest of your life is not sustainable. I think if you crave starch, have the starch. Just be honest with yourself and stop eating when you're full. It will be much easier to do that if you don't treat any food as "forbidden".

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:20 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
You will probably lose weight yes, but you'll gain it all back too, because as Andrea Levy said above, it has to be sustainable.

Cutting out starch from now until the rest of your life is not sustainable. I think if you crave starch, have the starch. Just be honest with yourself and stop eating when you're full. It will be much easier to do that if you don't treat any food as "forbidden".

I never feel full. Almost never. I’m finished eating and I’m thinking- what next? Even if I’m not in the mood of eating more of the main course, I’ll definitely be in the mood for dessert. That’s one of my problems. I try to figure out if I’m satisfied but I always want more. I thought eating lots of protein would help. Maybe it does? Maybe I would even eat more if I wouldn’t be eating protein?

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I never feel full. Almost never. I’m finished eating and I’m thinking- what next? Even if I’m not in the mood of eating more of the main course, I’ll definitely be in the mood for dessert. That’s one of my problems. I try to figure out if I’m satisfied but I always want more. I thought eating lots of protein would help. Maybe it does? Maybe I would even eat more if I wouldn’t be eating protein?

I think it's normal to want something sweet at the end of a meal. Have a piece of dark chocolate or whatever it is you're in the mood for.

evi

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:20 pm
Sugar, unless it's at the end of the meal (or maybe one tsp in a hot drink), ALWAYS makes me want to eat more. Unless maybe it's mixed with protein and fat.

Protein and fat are filling (almost right away).

Fruit can work very well for some as a source of sweetness without the unhealthiness and rapid blood sugar swings.

Starches mixed with protein and fat make you forget about wanting to eat so you're not always thinking about the next meal. But some starches turn into sugar very quickly, like bread by itself, cookies, etc, so slower starches and starches mixed with protein and fat are better.

You have to figure out what makes you feel full. There's a different fullness from eating protein (satiety) and from eating vegetables/fruit (fullness of the stomach) and from having fruits or starch mixed with protein and fat (slow source of blood sugar).

Don't expect the scale to react right away to your diet. You need to measure a diet's success in weeks, at the very least. Eating a lot of oatmeal and the scale goes a bit heavier has nothing to do with whether oatmeal is good for you or not.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's because you are eating a lot of carbs. Carbs do that.
Try having a lot of protein and eliminate some of the carbs.

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:28 pm
haven't read through, but you can try using stevia, xylitol & coconut sugar. You don't have to give up sweet things (though some will disagree) and healthy fats help keep you full and slow the glycemic index of any carbs you do eat

so I'd say go to a good nutritionist who can guide you to foods you'll enjoy.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you want to lose weight, you have to be willing to stop eating at the point that you don't want to eat more of the main course. Like the Gemara says, there's always room for dessert. You can allow yourself a dessert, but for most of us, our bodies are not made to feel too full to eat more and more and more dessert. So you need to eat to satiety on the main course, allow yourself a small dessert, and stop while you still want more dessert. True fullness is when you don't want any more main course.

Also, hunger is not a mood. BH, we are at a point when people don't feel real hunger mostly. But hunger is a physical need. If it feels more like a mood than a physical need, it's not hunger. Think back to some time when you didn't have kosher food around for a long time, or some other reason you didn't eat (fast days don't count because not drinking makes your hunger sensations different), and that would have been real hunger.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:48 pm
Low carb's worked for a lot of people but usually without sugar. Your way sounds risky but I guess you can try it for 3 weeks and see if you've lost weight. If you have, carry on, if not, stop.

Regarding

Danishes, cereal, pasta, challah, pizza, bagels, oatmeal or sweet potatoes

All of the above except danishes (for sure) and possibly pizza (for some people) , might be okay if not on a low carb diet AND if eaten with a large amount of protein and a medium amount of fat.

Cereal and milk - low sugar cereal only
Pasta and cheese (homemade so not over salted and too much fat)
Challah and cheese or challah and eggs
Bagels and cheese
Oatmeal and milk
Sweet potatoes with a bit of oil and eaten during a meal that includes protein
Pizza - if you can stop after 1-2 slices, and if you don't feel obligated to have a soda and french fries at the same time

Whole grain might be better for all of the above, but probably only slightly better, so don't stress.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:16 pm
OP -
I know the feeling!
I get it!
I say - give it a try!
But of course I have no idea…

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:26 am
andrea levy wrote:
What happened after that? Anyone can lose weight but the greater the caloric deficit the more likely you are to regain. Said science. And no I don’t have time to cite it but I wrote a paper on it and it’s true.

I've maintained the weight loss for a few years. I work out so my metabolism improves too over time.

Also, one needs to cut down on calories whilst trying to lose but maintaining weight doesn't need a calorie deficit.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:30 am
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
You're asking what happened after that, and yes, of course when you go back to eating a higher calorie diet again the weight creeps back. But I know you lost weight eating keto. It's no different. if you went back to eating carbs like before you'd gain it back too. That's the thing. Whatever anyone does to get success, there is no going back. It has to be lifestyle change, not a diet. That's why it doesn't really matter which method you pick so long as it's the one you can stick with for the long haul. And while eating lower calorie that one would like to forever isn't so easy, for most people it's a lot more doable than giving up entire food groups forever.

It's not as hard as many think it is.

Once you lose weight, the stomach shrinks & theres less fat and therefore we don't need as much calories to fuel our bodies.

Shuly

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:09 am
If you really want to lose weight you need to cut out sugar and white flour. You may still be able to lose with whole grains.
The sugar and carbs are causing you to always feel hungry because it's a sugar addiction.
The first week to two weeks was torturous for me. I was starving!! But I was motivated and just had more vegetables when I felt hungry.
After two weeks, I stopped feeling hungry anymore because I got rid of the addiction.

penguin

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 3:04 pm
My personal experience is that cutting out most carbs and sugar made my appetite much less.

I happened across a very old book called Potatoes not Prozac which explains how foods affect not only your blood sugar but the endorphins and serotonin in your brain, which in turn affect your mood, impulse control and cravings.

Very likely there's a lot more research on this topic (the book is from the '90s) but it's here so I'm reading it meanwhile...

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This us what I was like. I’d eat rice for dinner and after dinner eat all the leftover chicken for the next nights dinner. It was my insulin reaction. Some people do better with stable blood sugar.

For me, staying as low carb as possible has completely eradicated that feeling. It’s 100% sustainable because I could not stop when I was fill. Eating protein while having an insulin reaction can’t over come the insulin reaction in some people.

Only stable blood sugar in those folks gets a person off the roller coaster.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:00 pm
https://video.search.yahoo.com.....click

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I've maintained the weight loss for a few years. I work out so my metabolism improves too over time.

Also, one needs to cut down on calories whilst trying to lose but maintaining weight doesn't need a calorie deficit.

You and I are in a tiny percentage of people who actually maintain. Good you found something that works for you .

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 12:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Because a lot of these foods are addictive. Sometimes I eat a potato chip and try to enjoy just this one, this one yummy potato chip- and I can't, because while I'm eating it my brain is looking to get more!
I found using the hunger-satiation scale to be helpful. For a week I checked what number I am (hungry or full on a scale of 1-10) right before, right after, and 2 hours after everything I ate. Once I started recognizing the numbers- it's really hard when your body is used to being hungry all the time, you need to figure out what hunger actually is- I kept a food journal for another couple of weeks to see what foods satiate me.
Then I worked out a plan with things that keep me full. I know today that I won't be satiated without a starch, protein, and vegatable. That's what works for me, so if I have a piece of cake- I'll sit down and have it with some cottage cheese and tomato. I'm not one of those people who can cut out all carbs, and that's fine.
It's trial and error. I remember when I figured out that I can be full with only one slice of lasagna (with salad on the side)- I was in shock.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:43 am
I did my almost starch free diet yesterday. I did eat some sushi but basically that was the only starch. My kids ate pizza and I wanted some more than you can imagine. I ended up peeling off the cheese on top and not eating any of the dough. Other than that it was coffee with stevia and almond milk, fat free cottage cheese, eggs, tomatoes a slice of reduced fat American cheese a weight watchers snack bagband a few small pieces of chocolate…. I lost 2 pounds. I happened to have been exceptionally busy yesterday so I’m not sure if I’ll find everyday to be that easy.
I’m known to start a diet and loose 2-3 pounds the first week and then nothing afterwards. Let’s see what happens…
It’s much better than eating my danish for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and pasta for supper… I have to loose something with those changes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise