Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Brooklyn public library in Williamsburg

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:48 pm
Do they have yiddishe books as in Jewish authored? I don't read secular books. And I can't exactly afford to buy yiddishe books. They are so expensive. Does the bpl in Williamsburg have such?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:50 pm
There aren't any libraries in Williamsburg? There's a frum community there for over a 100 years. (My grandparents lived there then) It's hard to believe.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:53 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
There aren't any libraries in Williamsburg? There's a frum community there for over a 100 years. (My grandparents lived there then) It's hard to believe.
Oh there most certainly are. The private libraries owned by yiddishe ppl are for the most part not stocked well and it takes a long time for them to get hold of any newly released books. I'm coming from there already.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:02 pm
Yes they do have jewish children's books. Yiddish and English. They also have a website where you can request books. So you might also be able to get adult Yiddish books.
Just remember to take along a bag to shlep home the books.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:05 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Yes they do have jewish children's books. Yiddish and English. They also have a website where you can request books. So you might also be able to get adult Yiddish books.
Just remember to take along a bag to shlep home the books.
yes I tried searching on their site but nothing comes up. What would I need to search?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh there most certainly are. The private libraries owned by yiddishe ppl are for the most part not stocked well and it takes a long time for them to get hold of any newly released books. I'm coming from there already.

Did you check out Hamaspiks new library? I didn’t, but I hear it’s quite good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:16 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Did you check out Hamaspiks new library? I didn’t, but I hear it’s quite good.
hey I had no idea they have one. Where is it located? Can books be reserved online?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:20 pm
There’s a library called Sparks they recently opened on Harrison corner Hewes I think?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:51 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
There’s a library called Sparks they recently opened on Harrison corner Hewes I think?

That's the hamaspik one ( where photo station used to be )

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:44 am
They do have Yiddish books for kids, including comics, but the collection is not super impressive. The English language Jewish material is better. They are working on expanding it though. I never checked out their collection of Yiddish books for older kids or adults.

I find it difficult to put Yiddish books on hold because I have no idea how they transliterate the titles. Maybe try searching by ISBN?

You can also request that they order specific titles and their purchase team may decide to do that. I've gotten many (English, Jewish interest) books ordered that way.

ETA: rereading it seems you mean Jewish books, not specifically Yiddish language. That they definitely have and should be easy to put on hold or request for purchase.

They told me recently that they're working on expanding their collection and dedicating a larger space for it at this branch.

About time.
Now all we need is to petition for Sunday hours and I'll be happy.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:51 am
There are a number of Jewish book libraries in williamsburg as far as I know.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I assure you the public libraries are not better stocked lol. They have maybe one or two Yiddish books from 30 years ago.

wifenmother

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:03 am
Zehava wrote:
I assure you the public libraries are not better stocked lol. They have maybe one or two Yiddish books from 30 years ago.

The public library in Monsey is. Both with Yiddish and English titles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room