Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What to look for in regard to chinuch when moving OOT?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:31 am
I've seen people/posts who move to in-town communities due to "chinuch reasons". What specifically to consider/check with OOT schools?
(I'm JPF/yeshivish)

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:40 am
This applies to all schools - parent body you are comfortable with, academic level suitable for your child and skilled administration. OOT you have fewer choices. That's all.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:44 am
My DD has a good friend whose family moved to Lakewood from OOT so she and her sister could attend high school here.

IIRC she told me that when they moved there were 4 students in her grade. It just wasn't enough of a social life for her. Plus teaching a class that size has unique challenges if they are all on different levels. She wanted to go to high school with a full class of frum girls.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:51 am
Number and type of school options. For example, Cleveland is considered OOT, but they have at least three frum schools ranging across the hashkafic spectrum. Chicago has even more schools I think. A smaller community with only one school will be a very different experience.

The demographics of the community and direction they are moving. In smaller communities, the population can shift relatively quickly. The direction of change is trickier to assess, you can't always tell just by visiting.

Options for extracurriculars or supplementing academics outside of the school, if these are relevant to you.

Otherwise, you should look at all the regular things that you consider with any school. Academics, administration, finances, student and parent body, culture, accommodations that may be necessary for your kids.

My advice is that it is good to have more than one school option. You never know how your kids will fare in a particular school or how that school might change with a new administration.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:57 am
If it's a small school I'd find out until what age classes are coed.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:02 am
Someone obviously thinks that living OOT has no Chinuch considerations. She is hugging all our posts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating