Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Plastic bag- what do you think of..
1  2  Next

If I said, please put this non food item in a plastic bag what would you use?
A plastic shopping bag (that you put groceries in)  
 82%  [ 104 ]
Ziploc type bag  
 17%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 126

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:22 pm
I had asked teen DS to put his school shaimos in a plastic bag to take to shul. He took out a ziploc bag. I told him most people think shopping bag when plastic bag is mentioned. He said he doesn't... We agreed to take a poll on imamother (apparently he does not trust his siblings to not side with me.)
So, if someone tells you please put this non food item in a plastic bag- what do you go for?

sky

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:38 pm
Now that plastic shopping bags are outlawed our kids won’t know what it is in a few years.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:54 pm
Shopping bag

happytobemom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:02 pm
sky wrote:
Now that plastic shopping bags are outlawed our kids won’t know what it is in a few years.

Lol that's what I thought this thread was going to be about!

4g01o

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:12 pm
Shopping bag!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:14 pm
sky wrote:

They are still available in most places, just some places charge for them. The only places I’ve been to that don’t even offer them are target, Walmart, and dollar tree, but their plastic bags were so flimsy I don’t really mind.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:17 pm
sky wrote:

Not all of our kids live in the Jewish homeland of New York lol

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:46 pm
happytobemom wrote:
Lol that's what I thought this thread was going to be about!

Me, too.
In general I use new food-storage bags only for food unless there's a very good reason to use them for something else. For nonfoods I'd either reuse a food-storage bag that had served a long and useful term or a bag that is not known to be food-safe. It would, of course, also depend on the size of the item. Food-storage bags are made in only certain sizes.

However, I know many people who use food storage bags for everything from wet swimsuits to board games to sweaters to makeup to underwear that they're packing in a suitcase, so I don't think OP's son deserves criticism or mockery. Especially if OP uses a lot of disposables for other purposes, he's used to the idea of being profligate with resources.

s1

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:53 pm
Depends how big the item is that I was bagging and what I was then going to do with it (carry it somewhere or put it away)!!

Java

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 6:55 pm
s1 wrote:
Depends how big the item is that I was bagging and what I was then going to do with it (carry it somewhere or put it away)!!

This!

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:10 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
They are still available in most places, just some places charge for them. The only places I’ve been to that don’t even offer them are target, Walmart, and dollar tree, but their plastic bags were so flimsy I don’t really mind.

Not where I live. Supermarkets sell paper shopping bags, paper bags without handles, or reusable shopping bags made of a more durable material than single-use plastic bags. And davka my Dollar-and-a-quarter tree does offer single-use plastic bags.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:13 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

There is a grace period in nj
Once the grace period is over stored cannot give or sell disposable bags at checkout. The fines are pretty steep.
The frum stores are all planning on stopping to give. Many stores already stopped and are either charging for reusable bags or charging for boxes.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:15 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Not all of our kids live in the Jewish homeland of New York lol

It’s not only NY

So far the states I know of are Ontario, New Jersey, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New York, Oregon and Vermont

So coming to a state near you???

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:21 pm
sky wrote:
It’s not only NY

So far the states I know of are Ontario, New Jersey, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New York, Oregon and Vermont

I think Texas will hold out nicely.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:06 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I think Texas will hold out nicely.

They would. Texas has petroleum and guess what plastic is made from?

happytobemom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:11 pm
zaq wrote:
Dollar-and-a-quarter tree

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

gr82no

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:50 pm
sky wrote:
It’s not only NY

Which of the fifty states is Ontario? That is a province in Canada.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:18 pm
I voted plastic shopping bag. Unless it was small pieces like Lego or a puzzle. Then is want the security of a zip

sky

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:34 am
gr82no wrote:
Which of the fifty states is Ontario? That is a province in Canada.

Of course.

Toronto Ontario was the first place I ever came across the bag ban so included in my list as I thought of them.

SG18

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 2:24 am
It doesn't really matter what we say. If your son didn't understand, in the future make sure to say "shopping bag."
I can understand how plastic bag might be confusing, because there are different kinds of plastic bags.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics