Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Thoughts? Room escaping?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:10 pm
Young mom here. My 2.5 year old has been ready for a toddler bed for a while but I’ve been pushing it off. His room is baby proof (to an extent, but dresser is nailed into the wall and closet has a baby lock). The thing is that I live in an apartment and the second he opens his door (he knows how) he will have free reign over everything while I peacefully and innocently sleep;). Kitchen has a baby gate and bookshelf’s are mostly nailed to the wall but there’s so much he can do…
I want to put a baby gate by his door. Is that mean? It’s kind of locking him in until I come out… but I feel really bad. What does everyone else do? Lock their kid in their room? (I would do a gate right outside the door and not a baby lock on the door bc I want him to be able to open the door if ch’v there’s a fire etc and he needs air).
There’s also a bathroom right next door his room. I don’t want to fully childproof that (meaning the bath and sink faucets the cabinets the toilet the flusher etc).
Simplest solution is locking him in but I feel so bad.

lasagna

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:14 pm
Think of it as giving him a giant crib! Maybe put some books and toys in the room that he can play with until you come so he won't be bored. Only feel bad if your being selfish to get an excess amnt more of sleep but it sounds like you jast want to keep him safe.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:15 pm
Using a baby gate is fine. Won't he call you when he's ready to come out, and wake you up?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:16 pm
You should not be sleeping while your toddler is awake.

However as an extra precaution in case he wakes up during the night, I don’t see why a baby gate should be a problem. I would remove it during the day and only put it up at night after he sleeps.

On the other hand, Perhaps he still belongs in a crib.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:26 pm
I 100% lock my kids in their rooms (either with a gate or a door with a baby lock on the outside based on your comfort level and the kids abilities) from the time they transition to a bed until they’re old enough to come get me when they leave their room instead of wreaking havoc. Plus we have a baby gate at the top of the stairs so everyone under the age of 8 is restricted to the bedroom floor until a parent is awake

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:03 pm
It’s his personality. He’s an explorer. I don’t think waiting will make a difference.
I also I general don’t run to get him once I hear noise (he’s happy in his crib for a little bit).
I need to get up, go to the bathroom, wash negel vasser, throw a skirt on, etc.
How do I put a gate there and take it off every morning? Never heard of such a gate.
I think he’ll be fine with a gate it’s more in my head.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:06 pm
Baby gate, totally. One that is screwed into the doorjamb, not held in place by pressure.

To say you shouldn't be sleeping while your baby is awake is unrealistic. Many toddlers wake up in the wee wee hours of the morning, not long after their parents have gone to sleep.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:16 pm
I think a baby gate is fine, his door is open and if he calls out to you'll be able to hear him, while he still has the freedom of roaming his room. Its also a visual boundary, we used baby gates for the kitchen doorway till our kids were able to anyway open it themselves, it just slows them down that bit that they think before they impulsively do something dangerous.

As long as you don't actually tie him to his crib, as someone recently told me they do for their toddler Crying

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:19 pm
I never baby gated my rambunctious boys. I did keep them in their cribs as long as possible.
Yes I have pics of them getting to some crazy stuff doing crazy things. Not sure what I was thinking actually...you should do the gate thingy!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:00 am
Yes, I did that with my kids. Once they were able to climb out their crib, I switched them to a toddler bed with a gate at their door. I found leaving them in their crib was much more dangerous, as they kept climbing out and were at risk of falling.
They had toys and books in their room and I knew they were safe. I didn't have to worry that if they woke up in the middle of the night or in the morning, that they weren't safe.
I like the gate as they can see out and you can see in, so it's not like a shut door.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:37 am
Definitely a gate. You can leave it open during the day if you want. I did it for many, many years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics