Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:58 pm
New mom here of 8 month old baby. Baby was nursing full time, and I slowly eased into giving him food at around 6 months. He now eats around 3 small meals in addition to breastfeeding.

He used to be a good sleeper and only woke up on average once or twice a night. From about 3 weeks ago, he wakes up every 2-3 hours and kvetches until I nurse him. I tried just giving the pacifier and soothing him but he doesn't want to calm down unless I feed him. I dint think it's teething because he doesn't seem to be in pain. He also just got 2 teeth already.

I want to teach him to self soothe and not wake up so many times. Is it possible?

Any tips please? I'm tired 😴

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:02 pm
Just nurse him. Maybe he is hungry. 8 months old is still a baby and it’s really normal for them to be waking at night still. But your tired… it’s tough.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:16 pm
More solids or better fat solids. He's waking up because he's hungry. Especially if he's also crawling.
What do you feed him right now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:37 pm
Thanks. Yes he's a very active baby bh. I feed him oatmeal, chia pudding, yogurt, baby jars, soup w veggies, mashed strawberries. He doesn't like mashed avocado. I'm still experimenting. Any other ideas as to what I can feed him?

Also he usually takes 2-3 naps a day. One longer one that's around an hour or a bit more. And two shorter ones. I try his last nap should be at least 3 hrs before bedtime but it doesn't seem to help...

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:16 am
Three naps a day sounds like a bit much I would try to keep it to two.
Also what does your bedtime routine look like? Do you nurse him to sleep?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 6:32 am
mushkamothers wrote:
More solids or better fat solids. He's waking up because he's hungry. Especially if he's also crawling.
What do you feed him right now.

Can you elaborate?
My 10 month old wakes up Consistently and also stopped being a good nurser during the day.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 6:48 am
Too much day sleep. Try adjusting him to two naps a day. No more than 3 hours a day of napping total. Here’s something I copied from a sleep group I’m in to get an idea of a schedule. Also are you sharing a room? At this age room sharing made my baby wake up constantly but in his own room he sleeps better. He may have gotten used to nursing every 2-3 hours at night so he feels hungry but he definitely doesn’t need to be eating that much at night. Offer him more nursing during the day if possible

6-8 MONTHS ----- 3/3/3 or 2.5/3/3.5 *2 naps
*Cap a single nap at 2hrs and total day sleep around 3-3.5hrs*
Solid Nap Day 7a wake
Nap 10-1130 Nap 230-4 Bed 7pm
Short Nap Day 7a wake
Nap 10-11
Nap 2-245 Bed 545pm

pause

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 6:53 am
At that age, baby might be teething and waking up for comfort. If baby goes back to sleep after nursing, that's what I would do. I would only sleep train an 8 month old who doesn't fall back asleep from/after nursing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:06 pm
Thanks everyone for responding. Yes I usually nurse my baby to sleep. He usually goes to sleep around 9 and is up for the day around 10am. I know it's not the best schedule but I'm not working now and woul like to take advantage of that by sleeping in 😆.

His daily naps total are less than 3 hrs.

What else can I feed him that's nourishing and not too heavy?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:14 pm
If my baby were sleeping 9-10 and that worked for me (getting up later) I wouldn’t be tired and would leave his schedule alone.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:18 pm
You need to get him to sleep without nursing to sleep

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:19 pm
I just wait. Make sure you feed a good meal close to bedtime. Some months from now, your baby will be a 'good sleeper' again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:21 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
If my baby were sleeping 9-10 and that worked for me (getting up later) I wouldn’t be tired and would leave his schedule alone.

Well he wakes up every 2-3 hours so it's hard to feel rested...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:22 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I just wait. Make sure you feed a good meal close to bedtime. Some months from now, your baby will be a 'good sleeper' again.

Thank you! I really appreciate your comment. Smile

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:26 pm
I took a course called TakingCaraBabies (google it). Worth every penny. Did it when my baby was about 6 months old. It’s a series of videos, she teaches you how to get your baby to sleep through the night, and it feels like she’s holding your hand throughout. It was really awesome and really works if you follow through with her methods.

Ellie7

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:29 pm
I may be the evil Mommy here, but I would full-on sleep train by now. Your baby does NOT need to eat every 2-3 hours, and you're tired. There are a few different ways to sleep train, so do your research, but you do not need to be waking up multiple times a night.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:40 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
I may be the evil Mommy here, but I would full-on sleep train by now. Your baby does NOT need to eat every 2-3 hours, and you're tired. There are a few different ways to sleep train, so do your research, but you do not need to be waking up multiple times a night.

Lol you're not evil at all. Trust me I've tried. He used to give me 5-6 hr stretches easily. Obviously something changed and I don't know what. Maybe putting him out of my room will help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics