Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is DH a nurse?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:52 pm
How do you manage financially?
Asking specifically about those that didn't go to more schooling for a graduate degree

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you manage financially?
Asking specifically about those that didn't go to more schooling for a graduate degree

Mine is and BH we are actually doing okay right now because they are paying a ton for overtime. Like every hour worked over 30 hours is 80-100 an hour. But to make money he needs to put in the overtime. My husband will do 5 twelve hour shifts most weeks, some weeks four and some weeks six but without doing overtime you can’t support a family.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:45 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Mine is and BH we are actually doing okay right now because they are paying a ton for overtime. Like every hour worked over 30 hours is 80-100 an hour. But to make money he needs to put in the overtime. My husband will do 5 twelve hour shifts most weeks, some weeks four and some weeks six but without doing overtime you can’t support a family.

How much is he making working like that?

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:57 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
How much is he making working like that?

Enough bH. We have a lot of kids and I barely work. We don’t have extra money to go on vacations and yom tov and change of season can be super tight. But if we are careful we can get through the month most of the time. But I also know that the current overtime pay is temporary. There have been times where they did not allow the nurses to work overtime bec of budget etc. when that happens I’ll go back to work iYH.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:58 pm
I’m a nurse. I make $102k a year before any overtime. Sufficient for a small family

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:44 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
I’m a nurse. I make $102k a year before any overtime. Sufficient for a small family

Are you in the tristate area? How many years are you working? I live oot and nurses here do not make that much without overtime.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:03 am
Traveling nurses make much more.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:05 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Are you in the tristate area? How many years are you working? I live oot and nurses here do not make that much without overtime.

NJ, 6 years in hospital.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:09 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Traveling nurses make much more.

True but that would be difficult for a father with children.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:23 am
Traveling nurses make a ton. When I was hospitalized for Covid in March of 2021 2 of my nurses were traveling nurses form the Midwest and they left small kids at home for 2 months at a time (one had an 8 year old). It was worth it for her as she made 10k for a week. So 80k for the 2 months she was here.

Side point: they were super fascinated by us Yidden especially since it was over Pesach and I kept on getting food packages from random people and I explained that I don’t know who they are etc. Pesach itself was a fascinating concept and it was a 3 day Yom Tov.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 12:26 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Traveling nurses make a ton. When I was hospitalized for Covid in March of 2021 2 of my nurses were traveling nurses form the Midwest and they left small kids at home for 2 months at a time (one had an 8 year old). It was worth it for her as she made 10k for a week. So 80k for the 2 months she was here.

Side point: they were super fascinated by us Yidden especially since it was over Pesach and I kept on getting food packages from random people and I explained that I don’t know who they are etc. Pesach itself was a fascinating concept and it was a 3 day Yom Tov.

10k a week? Even now?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:

Wow thats a lot of shifts! No way my husband will be able to work that many hours! Shifts are exhausting for him

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:

Wow thats a lot of shifts! No way my husband will be able to work that many hours! Shifts are exhausting for him

westchestermom

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:23 am
I make a little over $100k as a nurse in new York suburbs without overtime. Last year overtime was over $100 an hour but now its around $75

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:09 am
I met a frum male nurse in Monmouth ER. He told me he got paid more for doing his shift 11am to 11 pm, as he was was there to cover when the other nurses changed shifts.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:51 am
I am a nurse recruiter in the midwest so salaries are lower then NY or NJ. I have a customer so desperate for nurses that they are paying 45 per hour to work as a floor nurse in long term care. That is around $93k a year. That is a VERY good income. Management positions can easily pay over 100k.

Honestly my kids pediatricians wife works. Its getting harder and harder to be a one income family. I would not expect 95% of jobs out there to pay enough to be able to pay all the bills.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:22 am
Thanks for responses! We're oot, I know in NY nurses get paid very well. I work too, but even with my income the 60k a year that floor nurses make her it wouldn't be enough. Hoping by the time he's working places are still willing to pay higher because they're desperate
And we're hoping he'll find a weird hours shift that pays more. Probably night shift

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:36 am
OP if you happen to be in Chicago please feel free to reach out and I can help you. OOT can be almost anywhere lol but if you happen to live where I do please PM me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:45 am
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:

That's excellent, I'm a PA in NY and I make less than that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics