Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
New Children's Book - What would you like to see?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 4:43 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Only if you can top Labels for Laibel 😉

Or come very, very close.
If you want it to sell, include a CD.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 4:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Or come very, very close.
If you want it to sell, include a CD.

Disagree with this. We don’t have a CD player in our car. I actively avoid these books because I’m not paying $25 for what is essentially just a book for me

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 4:58 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Disagree with this. We don’t have a CD player in our car. I actively avoid these books because I’m not paying $25 for what is essentially just a book for me

And if I were a parent I'd avoid them for my sanity. But the kids do seem to enjoy them.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 5:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And if I were a parent I'd avoid them for my sanity. But the kids do seem to enjoy them.

Yes they definitely do! But CDs are becoming obselete. I don’t know that for much longer peolle are going to pay $10-$15 extra for a CD. Maybe I’m wrong

isrmss91

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 5:04 pm
Books for beginner readers that have sight words. I feel there are not too many jewish ones.
And for those who advanced, short chapter books for 1st or 2nd graders.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 5:15 pm
Yes they definitely do! But CDs are becoming obselete. I don’t know that for much longer peolle are going to pay $10-$15 extra for a CD. Maybe I’m wrong

That's an interesting point. The books have qr codes for downloading the book. (I saw this in, I don't remember, a Yael book?) I don't know how it works.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 6:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi

Ive been toying with the idea of writing a children's book for a while now
And I think Im ready to give it a try

What sort of topics would you like to see covered in childrens books?
Whats missing on the bookshelf?

I love books that impart important lessons. Eli and his little white, yossi and laibel...

What I would love to see is a book that highlights the importance of being friends WITH SIBLINGS.
We have so much about v'ahavta lerayacha kamocha, but nothing stressing the importance of appreciating and being friends with your sisters and brothers

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 7:22 pm
I would appreciate a book geared toward toddlers about not fighting / hitting siblings
I would love more books helping kids express their feelings but not too many words on a page so my 3-4 year old doesn't get bored

GLUE

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your advice!
Poetry is my passion
Im young but Ive been writing poems since I learnt how to write!
I literally think in poetry
I write poems on a weekly basis - sometimes for for relatives or friends and sometimes for fun!
So I definitely understand what you mean by bad poetry
I truly believe that poetry is a talent totally separate from writing - the greatest writer could be the worst poet
My poems have rhymes with reason:)

If you like writing poetry maybe instead of putting out another rhyming book for toddlers, put out a poetry book for young adults or adults.

There is very little Jewish poetry out there for this age group and I know of quiet a few people who would enjoy it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:38 pm
boat wrote:
Whatever you do, don't put it into a rhyme.

You are obviously one of those who don't appreciate poetry
Maybe once you read mine, you will
Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:39 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Only if you can top Labels for Laibel 😉

Yes, that is a pretty high bar to jump
But as I wrote in my op, I've been thinking about it for a while and I think I'm ready for the challenge

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:40 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
I love books that impart important lessons. Eli and his little white, yossi and laibel...

What I would love to see is a book that highlights the importance of being friends WITH SIBLINGS.
We have so much about v'ahavta lerayacha kamocha, but nothing stressing the importance of appreciating and being friends with your sisters and brothers

Omg
Love this idea!
Thank you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:43 pm
[quote="GLUE"]If you like writing poetry maybe instead of putting out another rhyming book for toddlers, put out a poetry book for young adults or adults.

There is very little Jewish poetry out there for this age group and I know of quiet a few people who would enjoy it.[/quote
Interesting idea
But that would need an awful lot of poems included....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:44 pm
There are some Jewish rhyming books that are so well done (all the yossi and label books!!!) but most of them are very forced and unnatural. The worst offense for me is when they use the wrong version of a verb to make it rhyme. For example

Yesterday I went into the sky
I went on a plane and it did fly

Whereas normally you’d say “it flew”.

I appreciate poetry. But that ain’t poetry 😂. So Op, if you’re going to o make it rhyme be careful.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:05 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
Books for beginner readers that have sight words. I feel there are not too many jewish ones.
And for those who advanced, short chapter books for 1st or 2nd graders.
I think sight words aren’t considered best practice these days? Any reading teachers to chime in?

I agree PLEASE NO RHYMING. To me the frum rhymes mean your actual writing skills are weak and hiding behind the sounds. MY fifth grader can do it too.

FANTASY wow that would be amazing. takes true talent. (Etka Gittel, maybe write kids books?)

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You are obviously one of those who don't appreciate poetry
Maybe once you read mine, you will
Wink

Umm True poetry isn’t about the rhyme. But why don’t you show us? 😀

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:00 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
I think sight words aren’t considered best practice these days? Any reading teachers to chime in?

I agree PLEASE NO RHYMING. To me the frum rhymes mean your actual writing skills are weak and hiding behind the sounds. MY fifth grader can do it too.

FANTASY wow that would be amazing. takes true talent. (Etka Gittel, maybe write kids books?)

I actually find this post to be spewing ignorance
And

First off, like I said earlier on, the best writers can be the worst rhyming poets
Second, if your fifth grader can do it too ( Rolling Eyes ) then why would you need someone as great as Etka Gittel

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:02 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Umm True poetry isn’t about the rhyme. But why don’t you show us? 😀

Next level ignorance
Like, um, true cooking isn't about the taste

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Next level ignorance
Like, um, true cooking isn't about the taste

?? Good food requires good taste but good poetry does not by any means require rhyme. I’m sure you know that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:07 pm
?? Good food requires good taste but good poetry does not by any means require rhyme. I’m sure you know that.

It's not exactly what I meant and I'm not looking to argue
But it is clear from comments that some people are just not aware of rhyming poetry skill
It takes way more skill than free verse
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics