Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Supreme Court Decision on education

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:28 am
I don't know if I missed a thread on this- please post a link if so.

I am very very excited for the Maine decision that vouchers can be used in sectarian private schools. Yes, I know it comes with complications, and that any school that takes them may be opening themselves up to scrutiny and rules they don't want. But as a special needs mom, who sends to a Jewish special needs program where almost all the families had to sue the board of ed to get them to finance the school (it doesn't cover the Judaics), I am so excited about parents hopefully just being able to send. Educational doctrine already tells them to place importance on cultural issues and fit- but it wasn't allowed to include religion.

nylon

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 4:54 pm
So -- the ruling isn't quite as extensive as you might think.

The state doesn't have to fund private schools at all. The ruling is only that IF a state provides vouchers, it can't exclude religious schools. A state may also choose not to give any vouchers. So this will not change anything in, for example, New York. There also wasn't a test of Blaine amendments (state constitutional amendments banning aid to religious schools) as Maine doesn't have one.

momtra

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 4:58 pm
The OU just had a webinar discussing the ruling and it’s implications. In short… it’s complicated but can potentially be very exciting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics