Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Screaming every night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:01 pm
My 3 year old has been screaming many times a night this whole week. She sleeps in her own room and usually sleeps through the night.
Literally every night this week she's been screaming bloody murder until one of us comes. She can go on for an hour if we don't come.
She keeps begging us to let her sleep in one of our beds. We literally can't sleep because she keeps waking up.

Her last day of Playgroup was last Friday so I wonder if it's the change of routine that's making her night messed up.

I don't know what to do anymore. I am trying so hard to stay calm and not yell at her. I can't take it anymore. Being home with her all day is hard enough (she's not a hard kid necessarily but I'm going crazy having 2 toddlers home with me all day).

At the end, by like 4am we can't take it anymore and my husband just takes her into his bed. It's hard though because he has a sleep disorder and if he has someone else in his bed, his sleep is horrible and it's extra hard for him to get up.
And I have our 12 month old in my bed already because he isn't a good sleeper.

I'm also under the weather this whole week so it's extra hard because my body is not getting rest in order to recover.

I'm not sure if this is just a vent or I need advice or some insight...
I'm gonna go insane!

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:04 pm
Maybe she's having nightmares. Can you put a mattress on your floor for her to sleep on? Or on her floor for dh to sleep on? It's short term. She's probably very scared.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:05 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
Maybe she's having nightmares. Can you put a mattress on your floor for her to sleep on? Or on her floor for dh to sleep on? It's short term. She's probably very scared.

Thank you for responding.
We just did bedtime and she didn't even have a chance to fall asleep.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:05 pm
Take her to cranial sacral therapy. I saw amazing results with it for this exact issue.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:07 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Take her to cranial sacral therapy. I saw amazing results with it for this exact issue.

Thanx for responding.
This only started like 4 days ago.
Should I be taking her already?
And what is it exactly?

amother
Iris

Sometimes kids have scary thoughts at night when they're alone in a pretty dark room. Three is very very little.

nursemomma

Check for pinworms.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:09 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
Sometimes kids have scary thoughts at night when they're alone in a pretty dark room. Three is very very little.

But it literally just started. It never happened before (or maybe rarely).
Should I assume she started having nightmares?
She's pretty verbal and doesn't say anything about nightmares. She just says that she's screaming because she wants us.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:10 pm
nursemomma wrote:
Check for pinworms.

Interesting thought
Thanx

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:10 pm
Def check for pinworms

momof2+?

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But it literally just started. It never happened before (or maybe rarely).
Should I assume she started having nightmares?
She's pretty verbal and doesn't say anything about nightmares. She just says that she's screaming because she wants us.

And if you stay in her room until she falls asleep?
Can she be under the weather with whatever you are under the weather from?
Do you tell her that she has to stay in bed and you will come back in 1 min as long as she’s not crying. Then do 2 minutes etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:19 pm
momof2+? wrote:
And if you stay in her room until she falls asleep?
Can she be under the weather with whatever you are under the weather from?
Do you tell her that she has to stay in bed and you will come back in 1 min as long as she’s not crying. Then do 2 minutes etc

Thanx for the thorough response.
My husband just tried this for almost half an hour, multiple times. She looks like she's sleeping but as soon as he leaves she shoots up and runs to the door shrieking.
She was totally fine this whole week. I think today she got a little cold but she's definitely not sick otherwise. She's acting totally fine during the day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:22 pm
I feel like a terrible mother. At this point I'm feeling numb about her cries. I don't even feel bad. I'm just so exhausted...

We usually do gentle parenting but it gets very hard in times like this.

And my husband just got so tired from dealing with her screams just now for like an hour... That he just fell asleep by the table and we were about to eat dinner together. Because of his sleep disorder he's probably out cold till the morning.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:32 pm
First check for pinworms.

Cranial sacral therapy is a type of massage that can release trauma or subconscious tension in the body. I'm not a heeby jeeby type but this actually worked for my son's night terrors.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:35 pm
lamplighter wrote:
First check for pinworms.

Cranial sacral therapy is a type of massage that can release trauma or subconscious tension in the body. I'm not a heeby jeeby type but this actually worked for my son's night terrors.

Cool thank you!
I remember having them when I was like 8 or something. My mother would sit in the bathroom with me and take them out one at a time because I begged her too. How do I check for her?

And I would definitely check out the cranial sacral therapy. Is it the kind of thing you need to do many times or one or 2 times is enough?

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:41 pm
Check for strep

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:45 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
Check for strep

But wouldn't she have other symptoms? She seems fine otherwise.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:46 pm
OP I think you’re right about this being connected to the change in her schedule. I’m not quite sure what that means for you, but if she was totally fine with sleep until she stopped daycare, there is quite possibly a link. Maybe look into it online?

Sounds really hard!

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But wouldn't she have other symptoms? She seems fine otherwise.
sometimes this is the only one

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 10:49 pm
Or she could just be a little girl who’s afraid of the dark. I would put a mattress in my room.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics