Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chabad Mesivtas anywhere in the world
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:31 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Understandable.
Can you say you're looking for a place for your son and you want to know if there's space for him?

I just did. He said there is no space. Not sure why they couldn't have told me this when I first applied, unless it means "only space if we think your son is special enough." It seems to be a minhag to leave parents in limbo as long as possible.

Hopefully they'll refund the $180 soon so I can use it to apply somewhere else, although I'm still not clear on where yet.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:57 pm
Rabbi Barber's daughter did just get engaged. But he is still reachable. I would also reach out to MEF.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:05 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Rabbi Barber's daughter did just get engaged. But he is still reachable. I would also reach out to MEF.

MEF helps with placements? I thought they work with teachers.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:45 am
I was told they help with placement. I didn't contact them myself so I don't know for sure.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just did. He said there is no space. Not sure why they couldn't have told me this when I first applied, unless it means "only space if we think your son is special enough." It seems to be a minhag to leave parents in limbo as long as possible.

Hopefully they'll refund the $180 soon so I can use it to apply somewhere else, although I'm still not clear on where yet.

So disappointing:(
How about Kingston PA?

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:36 am
At this point, what you would have done 6 months ago is not going to work. Just applying online is not cutting it. Most mesivtas are full, so even if there was that perfect place out there that would accept him, it probably doesn't have space anymore.
Prioritize what you want.
And what your son wants.
See if you can reconcile and then make the phone calls!
You will have to compromise on something...
Either chassidishkeit, academics, location or personal attention.
There is a place out there that wants your son! You just have to find it!
Hatzlacha, and may you see the revealed good in this journey.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:46 am
I agree. It is more important to get him into a yeshiva and next year you can switch if necessary.

Hatzlacha Rabba. I know it's frustrating but it's all in Hashem's hands. Wherever he ends up, that's where is supposed to be bhashgacha pratis.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:28 pm
if you are willing to have him board by a family instead of a dorm, you can consider the montreal mesivta. There are 2, one more mainstream and one for kids with issues.
they both give lots of individual attention, and have great hanhala.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:45 am
My son (who is high functioning ASD) did really well in Antwerp. It is a chassidish place, most bochurim are shluchims kids from Europe and UK. He went only speaking english, came out speaking hebrew as well.

I don't know if they are full but they may have less pressure on places since generally they mostly cater to Europeans.

Reading your first post, a lot of what you say about your son could apply to mine. he is socially awkward, loves to learn, kind, well behaved. BH we live in Europe where places are not over full so we have not had issues with him being rejected because he is socially awkward...but this year he is in an American Yeshiva which also had no problem accepting him.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:13 pm
Just want to share the positive ending to the story:

After a few more rejections, we were suggested to apply to one of the newer Yeshivos. (Antwerp, which I found out he has relatives at, was full.) My son was accepted at the new Yeshiva, but I still wasn't feeling very comfortable with the idea.

I was at the Rebbe's Ohel and asked for a bracha that we choose the right place for him.

The next day, I was scrolling through one of the Chabad news websites, and see an article about one of the Yeshivos we had been considering but hadn't heard back from, that they are open for applications. The news post was from about an hour after I had left the Ohel.

We contacted them again and to make a long story short, Baruch Hashem he was accepted!

Thank you everyone for the support and the leads. Made this whole parsha much easier.

Although I am very happy with the Yeshiva he is going to in the end, it would not have been my first choice to send him out of the country. So obviously Hashem had to arrange for a lot of rejections to make this happen!

I'm feeling very strongly that this is the right place for him and IY"H he will have an amazing year!

SYA

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:21 pm
Behatzlacha. May he have a successful year

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:54 pm
Baruch Hashem! So happy to hear! He is going with the Rebbe's clear bracha, may he be successful in every way!
Yasher koach to you for your persistent effort!

Mushkygold

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:44 pm
Wow, that's great, Hatzlacha!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:46 pm
So happy! Thanks for the wonderful update!
Wishing you and your son brocha v hatzlocha for revealed good!

Truly inspirational!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics