Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Freelance Graphic Designers - Any tips?

synthy

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:25 pm
I'm thinking of doing some freelancing graphics from home part time, around 2 hours a day. I have experience in web layout, logo design, and ads that I've done as part of my ft job, but will need to invest in a laptop that's powerful enough for Adobe software, plus internet, software, etc.
Can anyone share with me their experience on whether this is a lucrative field or a waste of my time/money? Any tips are greatly appreciated. TIA!

sunspot

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:41 pm
It all depends if you are talented

synthy

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 2:56 pm
Wink Obviously. I get great feedback when designing projects for work but I don't have a portfolio yet, nor have I taken an official course; I'm self taught. Where would I even start gaining experience?

mandr

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:08 pm
You need to make a portfolio and have it available on a website or on Instagram, at the very least. You don't need to have taken a course. In my experience when interviewing graphic artists, the ones with the courses weren't very great, compared with the ones who were self taught!

Also you need a computer, not a laptop. A large screen is really helpful especially when you work with two documents side by side.

I use an iMac and then a Macbook Air when I am on the go.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:05 pm
I'm a freelance graphic designer.
I am super talented and creative! My work is perfect and clients are extremely happy.
However, I do not have enough business...
It's very hard to gain popularity.
I took a course at tti.
I have a very high speed laptop.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:07 pm
I've been working for years on just a laptop though I wouldn't mind a second screen. I just get maximum ram. Minimum 16 pref 32 gb.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:10 pm
I have a MacBook Pro. Your number one step would be to get your portfolio together. Instagram is an easy way to display your work but you can and should get yourself a website as well.

sunspot

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:50 pm
I agree. You can work on a laptop

But first, get a portfolio together. Speak to friends and family and create design projects for them. As a Graphic Designer you know if they can give you critique

Mock up your designs so they present well.

Adobe CC has a portfolio website feature, which is great to get your stuff online fast

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 9:05 pm
I have been a graphic designer for close to 20 years. I work exclusively on a PC laptop.
Honestly I don't think you can be very successful working just 2 hours a day. I work about 15 hours a week and after averaging out my income for the year, make around $400 a week. Comes out to $26 an hour - and that'swith 20 years experience.
If you are working so few hours you won't be able to take on too many clients at once. I have one job that is weekly and I'll only work on one other project at a time.
This is by choice so I have time to spend on my family and home. If I worked more hours I'd be making a lot more. Right now I do it mainly to stay in the field and I love it, not because it's lucrative.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:30 pm
synthy wrote:
I'm thinking of doing some freelancing graphics from home part time, around 2 hours a day. I have experience in web layout, logo design, and ads that I've done as part of my ft job, but will need to invest in a laptop that's powerful enough for Adobe software, plus internet, software, etc.
Can anyone share with me their experience on whether this is a lucrative field or a waste of my time/money? Any tips are greatly appreciated. TIA!

Linkedin is a great place to get business. I'm in sales, I sell product packaging, and I could tell you there is a need, I'm constantly referring my clients to designers, there's a need for good designers, and it really ends up being who you know etc... not sure if your the sales type of person, but lots of networking, sales etc is what will get you going IYH, ultimately its all from Hashem, I would say go for it, with lots of Hatzlacha

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:41 pm
Would you say LinkedIn is more lucrative than Instagram for designers?

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Would you say LinkedIn is more lucrative than Instagram for designers?

Linkedin is a business platform, very business minded people, lots of referrals going on every day. posting really helps, you build a audience, you show your work and expertise etc..
The power of linkedin when done right with a strategy has shown major results to lots of ppl I know

mandr

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:43 am
amother [ Ebony ] wrote:
Linkedin is a great place to get business. I'm in sales, I sell product packaging, and I could tell you there is a need, I'm constantly referring my clients to designers, there's a need for good designers, and it really ends up being who you know etc... not sure if your the sales type of person, but lots of networking, sales etc is what will get you going IYH, ultimately its all from Hashem, I would say go for it, with lots of Hatzlacha

Can you be in touch with me? In my line of work I always get asked about product packaging (which I don't do) and would love to refer people to someone good Smile

Zahava94

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 1:29 pm
Getting clients and being financially successful from freelance graphic design has very little to do with your design talent. As long as you've got the basics down, it's all about making connections and marketing yourself. Build a website to show your portfolio. Go on LinkedIn and connect with other freelancers, share their posts, post regularly, show your material. Be consistently active. Put ads in the local papers. Ask friends, community organizations, local businesses if they need any graphic help with anything.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 1:36 pm
Build a good name by being responsive, and providing fast turnaround.

Ideally use your brain and point out typos, missing information, grammar mistakes to your clients if you notice them. It's not your job but it makes you more valuable.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 2:39 pm
Hi! I am a designer partially taught partially self taught
I have copy training as well- I invested in it because I was anyway doing lots of the copy

(im not going negative- want to give you an honest answer!)

I am very talented and im good at what I do and I love it!
I am saying my friends family cllients are all woahed by my work

I currently work in another field as well
and only take on big jobs freelance at this point

I couldnt keep my family afloat with my design alone
I am not a flirty or assertive woman
I do not have instagram for hashkafa reasons
and I am not active on linkedin- because I felt it was unsafe

if I could I would love to work for an agency part time
but at this point in life that would need to be remote for me and the few I reached out to were not interested....

I wish you much hatzlacha!

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:15 am
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Hi! I am a designer partially taught partially self taught
I have copy training as well- I invested in it because I was anyway doing lots of the copy

(im not going negative- want to give you an honest answer!)

I am very talented and im good at what I do and I love it!
I am saying my friends family cllients are all woahed by my work

I currently work in another field as well
and only take on big jobs freelance at this point

I couldnt keep my family afloat with my design alone
I am not a flirty or assertive woman
I do not have instagram for hashkafa reasons
and I am not active on linkedin- because I felt it was unsafe

if I could I would love to work for an agency part time
but at this point in life that would need to be remote for me and the few I reached out to were not interested....

I wish you much hatzlacha!

same! I could've written this.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:16 am
Zahava94 wrote:
Getting clients and being financially successful from freelance graphic design has very little to do with your design talent. As long as you've got the basics down, it's all about making connections and marketing yourself. Build a website to show your portfolio. Go on LinkedIn and connect with other freelancers, share their posts, post regularly, show your material. Be consistently active. Put ads in the local papers. Ask friends, community organizations, local businesses if they need any graphic help with anything.
VERY WELL SAID
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers