Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to approach tiktok and other social media
Previous  1  2

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 7:05 pm
Adults never like what teenagers are into. But I don’t think tik tok is so bad. At least it’s getting the teenagers moving and creative with the dancing.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:04 pm
I don't have a teen yet however I really hope to Hashem that my children will not have this nisayon.

So far my 12 year old doesn't have a phone. My nephew is 16 and has a flip phone. My sister is 18 and has a flip phone too.

Now my son told me that kids download from each other songs onto their mp3s. I kind of said ok. He's embarrassed that he doesn't have the latest coolest songs. As long as they are Jewish frum songs all is good.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 9:24 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Adults never like what teenagers are into. But I don’t think tik tok is so bad. At least it’s getting the teenagers moving and creative with the dancing.

Have you really looked at TikTok? I am not one for wide spread bans but TikTok is toxic. The comments, the content, the trends... It's not innocent. Instagram, with all its insanity safer than TikTok.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 11:14 pm
As to why a teacher would Waste her time on tik tok??
IMHO and you can start a spin-off if you disagree, every high school mechaneches should spend some time on social media , or else they will be helplessly out of touch with what is going on. Imagine a teacher giving a Mussar speech to a class about clean speech because girls used words like freak, shut up etc when in reality that is the words the good girls use ……..

Just to understand the nisyanos a student is going through who chooses NOT to associate herself with those girls but enjoys it from the sidelines…

(I always view my understanding of a girl based solely on how they behave in class as viewing them through a peep hole- you get to see JUST the image they want to portray to you .

Think back to your High school days, how many of your peers sucked up to the teachers and were the nastiest girls IRL. They asked the right questions , said the right things, got the big jobs because they were the “good” girls but everyone else knew otherwise - aside from the teachers .)

Any child that has tiktok, I think it is a must for their parents to have tiktok as well and follow similar accounts . I really don’t believe a parent that cares for her child’s future would endorse it.
THe tiktok algorithm is definitely doing its job - now when I log on it feeds me all the frum girls tik tok accounts Smile

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:05 am
TikTok is to instagram what Reddit is to Imamother. A whole lot more disgusting.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:20 am
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
TikTok is to instagram what Reddit is to Imamother. A whole lot more disgusting.

ITA. I have been in Instagram for years but I would never download TikTok.

OP I applaud your efforts.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As to why a teacher would Waste her time on tik tok??
IMHO and you can start a spin-off if you disagree, every high school mechaneches should spend some time on social media , or else they will be helplessly out of touch with what is going on. Imagine a teacher giving a Mussar speech to a class about clean speech because girls used words like freak, shut up etc when in reality that is the words the good girls use ……..

Just to understand the nisyanos a student is going through who chooses NOT to associate herself with those girls but enjoys it from the sidelines…

(I always view my understanding of a girl based solely on how they behave in class as viewing them through a peep hole- you get to see JUST the image they want to portray to you .

Think back to your High school days, how many of your peers sucked up to the teachers and were the nastiest girls IRL. They asked the right questions , said the right things, got the big jobs because they were the “good” girls but everyone else knew otherwise - aside from the teachers .)

Any child that has tiktok, I think it is a must for their parents to have tiktok as well and follow similar accounts . I really don’t believe a parent that cares for her child’s future would endorse it.
THe tiktok algorithm is definitely doing its job - now when I log on it feeds me all the frum girls tik tok accounts Smile

The question is why would a parent give their child a phone with the ability to download tik Tok.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:57 am
Kudos to you OP.
I was in high school when technology awareness was becoming a thing, but the people that were preaching were for the most part hopelessly out of touch and it so turned me off.

I think the way to reach teens is to explain and show them how these things effect you emotionally and mentally, not only spiritually. Show the emptiness of it. After you’ve seen a few people video themselves crying hysterically you realize how nebechdig and empty it is. Nebach these people need to fake cry in their rooms by themselves to get attention from strangers online.
I’ve also heard interviews with a models or celebs who have closed the comments and likes on their accounts because it was affecting their mental health. Even they are insecure online, or just can’t handle the sheer volume of feedback (negative and positive) that you get online.
The amount of information and opinions that you see on social media is not normal; our brains aren’t meant to be processing that much on a daily basis. Even just the amount of news we hear every day about a building that fell in India and a plane that crashed in Russia, the world was never so connected that you knew everything that was happening everywhere. All this info takes up all your brain space and doesn’t leave any space for your real life.
Some internet or social media usage could be relatively harmless, but the line where it crosses over to too much is very thin. I think once teens grow up a little they can understand and appreciate that.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:59 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Completely disagree. I really think she’s doing the right thing. You have to immerse urlsef to fully understand todays teens and how they are immersing themselves. She can check in every few months for a few min ot “keep up” now that she did the initial reaearch

Yes this!!! Op as someone not too long out of school, I really like that you did this. As a high schooler my absolute biggest pet peeve was when teachers would lecture on technology while clearly having no idea what they were actually talking about.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:06 pm
How do teens have accounts on tiktok without a smartphone?

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:26 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
How do teens have accounts on tiktok without a smartphone?

either they buy smartphones behind their parents backs or use it on desktop.. I think this teacher was really smart to check it out because she can fully understand what the girls are dealing with .. not to mention understand some of the issues the girls deal with in school since there is no censorship of what they say. I'm a parent of a 16 year old girl in a rw by and checked it out myself and know the dangers and felt sad for the teens who felt they had no other avenue to express their thoughts and pain without judgement.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics