Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Who diagnosed your child with dyslexia?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 7:08 am
How does one go about getting a formal diagnosis?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 9:05 am
I got a comprehensive evaluation done by a child psychologist.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I got a comprehensive evaluation done by a child psychologist.

care to share your location and the price?

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 12:58 pm
Neuropsych evaluation done through my local hospital. I have private insurance and it was 100% covered because we had met our maximum for the year. I had called around to other places that did not take insurance and was quoted around 2100-3000+. I felt that the evaluation was extremely well done. My child ended up with a variety of diagnosis in addition to dyslexia. Hatzlacha. Its a long road. We are only a few months into this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
Neuropsych evaluation done through my local hospital. I have private insurance and it was 100% covered because we had met our maximum for the year. I had called around to other places that did not take insurance and was quoted around 2100-3000+. I felt that the evaluation was extremely well done. My child ended up with a variety of diagnosis in addition to dyslexia. Hatzlacha. Its a long road. We are only a few months into this.

Thanks. mind sharing your location?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:12 pm
Dr davidowitz in great neck. Cash $3500

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:16 pm
Psychologist

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. mind sharing your location?

I'm not in the tristate area. In the midwest. I was referred by my child's neurologist. Your pediatrician may also have an idea for you.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:19 pm
There are many good neuropsychs in NY
ours took insurance but she takes only patients with a medical diagnosis.
Mandelman is good

amother
Latte

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 5:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
care to share your location and the price?

I'm in Miami, it cost $3500. Insurance refused to cover it.

finprof

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 5:28 pm
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 6:12 pm
finprof wrote:
The local school district should pay. You pay taxes for this reason. Technically the only official diagnosis can be made via a psychoeducational eval. Where are you located?

Edited to add: A dyslexia diagnosis is NOT the end of the world. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. I couldn't read until I was 11 and yet I am now a published tenure track professor (w/ 4 kids).

OMG!! I think you were my professor!

I need the recommendations for my student, who's mom wants her to get an official diagnosis. I work with children who have diagnosed dyslexia as well as undiagnosed children with symptoms of dyslexia. So far, all my students learned to read within one school year BH.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 6:19 pm
I got it through a board of ed evaluation. It was free (for me, not the taxpayer).

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 6:26 pm
A neuropsychologist- $3500 not covered by insurance. We too got a bigger picture of our child’s makeup and it has been uphill since bh!
Not in the tristate area…

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 6:35 pm
Dyslexia is also known as a specific learning disability in reading and can be determined by a school psychologist through the school district. If the SLD is significant and has educational impact then the student can be eligible for an IEP.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:39 am
finprof wrote:

Would u mind sharing what helped you? Have a 10 yr old still struggling

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OMG!! I think you were my professor!

I need the recommendations for my student, who's mom wants her to get an official diagnosis. I work with children who have diagnosed dyslexia as well as undiagnosed children with symptoms of dyslexia. So far, all my students learned to read within one school year BH.

Where are you working?
I have a 6yr old son who has a very hard time learning how to read.(he's very smart, family history of dyslexia and ADD)

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Where are you working?
I have a 6yr old son who has a very hard time learning how to read.(he's very smart, family history of dyslexia and ADD)

My son was the same way when he was 6 and in pre1a. ADD and struggled with reading. He finished 1st grade and is a MUCH better reader. He got a lot of help in school and also some of it just clicked at the end of pre1a.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:17 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My son was the same way when he was 6 and in pre1a. ADD and struggled with reading. He finished 1st grade and is a MUCH better reader. He got a lot of help in school and also some of it just clicked at the end of pre1a.

Any specific method?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:26 pm
Some was just time. As the year was ending I could sit it more clicking in his mind then earlier in the school year.

In pre1a he got resource 2x a week for English reading. The teacher he worked with was very experienced in teaching reading. She was an older lady.

What I think made a bigger difference is that his reading group in the beginning of 1st grade was very small and the teacher was the school speech therapist. He moved up a group in December because he made so much progress.

I think small group instruction with teachers were super experienced in teaching reading made a big difference.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics