Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nursing school

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:40 am
are there any other frum nursing programs besides for Bulka?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:10 pm
bump!

momomany

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:14 pm
None that are specific all female cohorts, but your religious needs in the US are protected and should be accommodated (Shabbos, yomtov) anywhere. The difference is that in Bulka, you wouldn't ever have to miss a class and make it up later,the classes are all female and scrub skirts and sleeved shells (as opposed to pants and sleeveless scrub top) are allowed without discussion.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:20 pm
I consider myself pretty yeshivish. I think if your going to be a nurse, outside of some very limited settings, you will be exposed to all kinds of populations. I would do the cheapest option vs an expensive frum only program. Get the best education you can for the least amount of money.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:33 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I consider myself pretty yeshivish. I think if your going to be a nurse, outside of some very limited settings, you will be exposed to all kinds of populations. I would do the cheapest option vs an expensive frum only program. Get the best education you can for the least amount of money.

I'm a nurse. I live in Boro Park and am chasidish. I disagree with your comment. I have worked in large university hospitals in NYC and Brooklyn and am exposed to patients and colleagues of all races, ethnicities, economic background, value systems and orientation. I greatly greatly appreciate my Bulka/Adelphi education which taught me everything I needed to know professionally and kept me in a safe and slightly sheltered environment as long as possible. I also appreciated the shiurim in Bulka regarding the hashkafic challenges and tips on navigating being a frum nurse and the the halachik shiurim regarding issues that may come up during nursing practice (end of life, abortion. etc). The many frum nurses I met during the Bulka program remain an important part of my life. We have a network of frum nurses who are doing the same thing, understand the challenges and are a valuable resource as we figure out how to balance our values, frumkeit and career.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:

It's not about that. Nursing programs are known to be brutal and their staff not caring. If it's possible to do a program where you won't fight to leave on time on Fridays and take off for yomim tovim, and teachers actually treat you as a person, it just might be worth it for some.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:09 pm
OP, Touro in Flatbush has a nursing program. Touro in Manhattan just opened an Associate one.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:15 pm
I went to a non-Jewish nursing program because I couldn’t afford Bulka. It was extremely challenging- even though legally they can’t give you a hard time for missing for yt, etc, it’s still very hard to make up the work and still stay on top of the current assignments. Frum life is super busy as it is (esp if you’re married with kids). I always wished I could’ve gone to Bulka and have heard people have had wonderful experiences there. Alternatively, if you go to a non Jewish program, try to find one that has a number of frum girls/women. It makes a huge difference to have a support system within the program (I was the only frum one in my program and it was brutal)…

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:17 pm
I think Beth Israel usually has a nice amount of frum girls in each cohort and is supposed to be a great program
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics