Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cons to living OOT?
Previous  1  2  3  4

miami85

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:37 pm
dena613 wrote:
Often

Less experienced rabbonim,daas torah

Less experienced does not necessarily mean less qualified rabbonim.

A GOOD rav knows when something is beyond his "pay grade" and to "Refer to someone with more experience" but doesn't mean that Rav isn't "good". In this day and age it's really not a big deal.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:15 pm
This thread is so full of over generalizations and opinions.
Not every place is the same. Not every place has the same issues.
I could start a thread about cons of living in NY/NJ- from expensive, peer pressure, trouble getting kids into school, the long list of "needs" the kids and adults have, traffic, politics, conformity, need to keep up with Cohens, poor behavior of kids, overcrowded schools, poor middos. Cold/unwelcoming. Judging by how I look. (I used a graco when on vacation in NY/NJ and got stared at because it wasnt a doona or uppababy etc). Pushy. Rude. Rabbis who won't give you the time of day unless you are a big donor because they are too busy.
Now, this doesn't apply to everyone in every community in NY/NJ. And it is gross generalization. But that's what people are doing on this thread- lumping every place outside of NY and NJ into one group.

If you want to move OOT or want to look at someplace- look at each community by itself. Some have restaurants even though they are small communities due to vacationers and people who come on business. Some have multiple minyanim. Or schools that cater to each student...
Each place has their pros and cons. Look at each place by itself and as a package. What works for you will be different than the next person.
I have lived in both OOT communities and NY. And I would do almost anything to not move back to NY.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:59 pm
I think your kids not likely to be living at home with you as they get older can be a huge issue, but hopefully less of an issue in larger communities than mine.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:02 pm
Also making simchos can be a lot more expensive and more difficult.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:55 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
Also making simchos can be a lot more expensive and more difficult.

And in many ways they can be cheaper. No expectations, "everyone does X", or peer pressure. Inviting the shul is a lot fewer people. School classes for bar mitzvahs are smaller. Serve what you want without caring about socially mandated requirements like miniatures, decor, location etc.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating