Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Moldy clothing

HakolTov

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:37 pm
I found mold growing on my kids good sweaters and coat. Any tips or ideas of how to remove it and make it safe to wear?

RA_mom (I think this is your username) do you know what I can do? You seem to have an expertise in this area.

Obviously, anyone else can pipe in...

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:56 am
I tried vinegar but also looking for other alternatives

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:17 am
Tilex

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 5:04 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Tilex

This can be used for clothing?

I ended up using vinegar for one load and then next load vinegar and baking soda and it seemed to work.

Wanted to know for the future.

ddmom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 5:23 pm
Why did you get mold in the first place? Are you storing coats in a damp closet?
Mold grows in dark,humid places. You might need a dehumidifier there. It's very unhealthy. Check walls wherever clothing was stored!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:40 pm
Use the hottest setting possible to wash. Don't use detergent - instead fill the detergent softener and bleach compartments all with vinegar. Repeat vinegar boiling water cycle a second time.

If this takes out the mold, you can launder once more with detergent on cold. Hang to dry fully. (If the mold doesn't come out, don't proceed. It's not usable or safe.)

For the coat, if it has stuffing, you need to throw it out since the spores will stay inside and it's a health hazard.

Can I ask how they developed mold? I do remember another such post and I'm worried it's a chronic issue. That needs to be taken care of before the clothes.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:52 pm
ddmom wrote:
Why did you get mold in the first place? Are you storing coats in a damp closet?
Mold grows in dark,humid places. You might need a dehumidifier there. It's very unhealthy. Check walls wherever clothing was stored!

Oh it was damp and someone put it in a bag and stored it away... Banging head

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use the hottest setting possible to wash. Don't use detergent - instead fill the detergent softener and bleach compartments all with vinegar. Repeat vinegar boiling water cycle a second time.

If this takes out the mold, you can launder once more with detergent on cold. Hang to dry fully. (If the mold doesn't come out, don't proceed. It's not usable or safe.)

For the coat, if it has stuffing, you need to throw it out since the spores will stay inside and it's a health hazard.

Can I ask how they developed mold? I do remember another such post and I'm worried it's a chronic issue. That needs to be taken care of before the clothes.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Yes.
First incident was because child leaked and I didn't wash the item right away since I didn't know so it remained damp and developed mold.
Now a separate incident, the items were damp (left in rain) and someone brilliantly left them in a bag and stored them away. I just found them now...

Do you think I can bleach the coat or that's still a big no no?

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:56 pm
So nope, this is generally not a chronic issue... I really hope this doesn't happen again!

Thank you all for your help!

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:57 pm
Bleach doesn't kill mold it just bleaches it. Mold is not safe I wouldn't want my kids wearing it. I'd trash. Minimum you need to wash in ec3

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:57 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Bleach doesn't kill mold it just bleaches it. Mold is not safe I wouldn't want my kids wearing it. I'd trash. Minimum you need to wash in ec3

What does this mean?

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:01 pm
Also, I did 1 heavy duty cycle with soak mode hot with vinegar, another heavy duty hot cycle with vinegar and baking soda and a normal 3rd semi warm cycle with persil and lysil antibacterial disinfectant laundry addition.
If it appears that the mold is off, is that enough? Forget about the coats, I'm referring to the sweaters...

I heard borax is also good- should I do a hot cycle with that as well?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:12 pm
It sounds like the clothes are good. Keep an eye on them. If you see anything funky, get rid of them.

I wouldn't bleach the coat only because it's going to get ruined. Color wise. And stuffing will become limp (and still have mold inside).

HakolTov

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It sounds like the clothes are good. Keep an eye on them. If you see anything funky, get rid of them.

I wouldn't bleach the coat only because it's going to get ruined. Color wise. And stuffing will become limp (and still have mold inside).

Ok, thanks so much!

mitzva

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 7:43 pm
vrichards wrote:
Also, I did 1 heavy duty cycle with soak mode hot with vinegar, another heavy duty hot cycle with vinegar and baking soda and a normal 3rd semi warm cycle with persil and lysil antibacterial disinfectant laundry addition.
If it appears that the mold is off, is that enough? Forget about the coats, I'm referring to the sweaters...

I heard borax is also good- should I do a hot cycle with that as well?

borax is good. you can even do it with a warm cycle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry