Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What is special about growing up in Lakewood?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:05 pm
byisrael wrote:
When I grew up it was living in a town where everyone is connected to yeshiva, but I don't think that is accurate anymore.

My gut response was "Torah Ugedula". In some communities you have pressue for gashmiyus, and wealth is valued, in other place Torah is the highest value and there are pressures related to that (push kids to hard, comparing to others...)
Lakewood is a unique place where everyone wants both, not realizing that for the Hamon Am one comes on the cheshbon of the other.

Lakewood is the only place I know off you will find kids learning mesilos yesharim in elementry school and have people clamoring to get in to such a school.

Guess where I went.

I doubt that's the answer you where looking for.
Bns Yaakov Mrs. Twerski 😀

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:30 pm
banana123 wrote:
I don't think this is for a curriculum. That makes no sense.

I think this is someone who is curious (nothing wrong with that, so long as you are honest about it) and wants to know what's so special about growing up in Lakewood.

I disagree.
just read the Yiddish magazines "kindline" or the "kindershrift". It is obvious that the writers and readership are chasidim.
They will interview klei kodesh just like a Litvish publication would, but at the same time write about a frum crane operator whilst teaching children how to be a g-d fearing Jew as a worker, businessman or professional...
there IS more appreciation for a frum working person who is yiras shamayim/shomer torah umitzvos in the chasidic world. This is not necessarily good or bad: HASHEM CREATED 12 SHVATIM AND CHILDREN OF SHVATIM AND every group represents one according to kabala.
In non-chasidic publications or books there learners are explicitly superior than non-learners.
In chasidic publications learners are superior but it is not so EXPLICIT.
It is obvious when there is a writeup for a person that recently passed away; they are almost afraid to mention the non-klei kodesh offspring.
It is obvious in novels/magazines and even in the writings of school children!!!
Yes, some novel writers are afraid to paint a father figure character that is not in kolel or klei kodesh...

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Don't know if this is still true,

Someone told me years ago that her kid said

In Brooklyn the mommy's wheel the strollers
In Lakewood the tottie's wheel the strollers.

I think this is SO true. Totty does drop off and pickup and doc appointments and grocery shopping! It seems so normal but it's probably strange to outsiders.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:59 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I think this is SO true. Totty does drop off and pickup and doc appointments and grocery shopping! It seems so normal but it's probably strange to outsiders.

There are plenty of frum guys in the grocery shopping or taking kids to appointments outside of Lakewood. I see them all the time.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 2:05 am
Lakewood is a town where Torah is the focal point. The majority of people who move here come in order for their husbands to learn Torah. The traffic runs on yeshiva schedule. If you go into any Shul on simchas Torah, the men’s love for Torah is so strong you can feel it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries